Replacing Aurion wipers

Does anyone know how to get the wipers off the arms on the Aurion. I want to replace the blades with a set I've bought and can't seem to figure it out. They are different to the last 2 cars which were just standard.

Would appreciate any advice from someone who's done it before.

The best way to describe the process is shown here from page 18 (page 16 as per the PDF numbering) onwards:

Wiper_and_Washer.pdf

Alternatively, you can get Bosch wiper blades that replace the entire assembly and save the time mucking around with changing just the wiper rubber only.

What is wrong with your current wipers? Mine are still the originals and they wipe like they just came out of the factory.

EDIT: On my old Camry I had the Bosch wipers, I replaced the whole thing (not just the plastic wiper) and I wasn't really that happy with them. They didn't wipe that well, but they were pretty decent in looks and quality.

It was the ones with those "spoiler" ones that Bosch call them.

Edited by unique

What is wrong with your current wipers? Mine are still the originals and they wipe like they just came out of the factory.

EDIT: On my old Camry I had the Bosch wipers, I replaced the whole thing (not just the plastic wiper) and I wasn't really that happy with them. They didn't wipe that well, but they were pretty decent in looks and quality.

It was the ones with those "spoiler" ones that Bosch call them.

not much wrong with mine at the moment. i usually replace my wiper blades before winter as part of my "winterizing" routine..

was tossing up between getting the original wiper inserts or changing the whole unit...

My wipers are now close to 3 years old and definitely need replacing.

I usually go with some of the silicone wiper blades (but only the clear ones) which I have found wipe well and last for a long time.

HOWEVER, Toyota have been very shafty with the Aurion, they fashion the metal clasp/claw on each end of the wiper to such that these generic wiper blade refills can't lock in. First time I've seen it.

Now I'm stuck with getting Toyota original blades.

Does anyone know the cost. Bosch ones would be ok but at $65 off ebay the cost is a bit extreme.

My wipers are now close to 3 years old and definitely need replacing.

I usually go with some of the silicone wiper blades (but only the clear ones) which I have found wipe well and last for a long time.

HOWEVER, Toyota have been very shafty with the Aurion, they fashion the metal clasp/claw on each end of the wiper to such that these generic wiper blade refills can't lock in. First time I've seen it.

Now I'm stuck with getting Toyota original blades.

Does anyone know the cost. Bosch ones would be ok but at $65 off ebay the cost is a bit extreme.

You are correct in saying that the generic wiper blades will not fit, however, this design is not unique to toyota and from what i understand, its not all about trying to ruin DIY work for us..... but on the plus side, you arent stuck with using genuine blades!!

The type of wiper blade on the Aurion is relatively new to the market (in contrast to the generic ones which have been around for many many years) but has been creeping into the market for quite some time now and there are many other cars that run these, and have been doing so for quite a while. This type of blade is referred to as a japanese style blade.

If you remove your wiper blade from the original assembly you will notice that the two metal rails that fit into the rubber insert are both curved. The reason for this is that it is supposed to give you more consistent pressure along the length of the blade; in contrast to the orignial blades which apply additional pressure only at the claws of the arm to the blade (not sure if i explained that clearly but thats how the tridon rep pitched it to me last year - im an ex supercheap auto manager)

Long story short the new type of blade/wiper setup is supposed to give better performance and lifespan; unfortunately at a slight inconvenience to us consumers as it has changed a standard that has been around for years.

So what you need to do is slip into a retailer which sells an updated range of wiper blades; as an ex manager (thats right, an EX manager so im not trying to plug for them!) i know that any supercheap auto store stocks tridon which include what you need in their range.

MRJ2028-2 ..... Take that part number into SCA and say i want these, chances are if you ask for blades for an aurion and get some little punk serve you, you will end up with the wrong ones in the form of generic blades. This is the part number for the correct wiper REFILLS made by tridon and from MEMORY(dont quote me) will set you back around $30 or so. They are a rubber blade that is coated in graphite; not the horrible squeaky (but long lasting!) silicone variant which i think you would struggle to find in this style. I have had them on my aurion for bout 3 months and they work great.

Not sure how the cost of these competes with toyota because it was way too convenient to just pick them up from work when i worked at SCA.

P.S DJKOR i saw you at my taringa store late last year but by the time i realised it was you (i recognised your car) you were reversing out so i missed trying to talk your ear off - Bit of useless info for ya to show what a small world we live in.

Hope this helps!!

I tried silicone wiper blades once and they squeaked like a mofo ... got rid of them quick smart.

That's true they can squeak when new. But if you persevere for a bit, they then settle in and then they actually last a really long time. I've had a set of graphite ones in my car which 6 months down the track are already streaking. On another car, a set of silicone ones were still better 2 years down the track.

I went with BOSH and couldnt be happier. The best wipers I ever had.

anyway you can post a pic of your wiper set up mate? interested in getting some before the real winter hits here...

Will do tomorrow.ph34r.gif

IMO a squeeky clean screen,genuine blades and the use of Rain X washer additive is a good combo,i've had several passengers comment on how clear & clean my windscreen is.

and btw they are still the original blades from new and there still going strong. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Just for a laugh, I decided to phone up Toyota to parts department the price for a set of Aurion wipers blades.

Answer from Toyota: $44

Me: You mean that's for a set right, two blades.

Toyota: No that's each. $88 for a set.

At this point I bit my tongue. I was going to add in the next sentence.

Me: You've got to be joking, that's a friggin rip off.

Will check out the Tridon wiper blades recommended earlier in post.

lol guys you can buy the rubber refills from Toyota for like $8 a side... and a new blade is like 32odd bucks each?? man some dealers must be making a fortune over there...

Here we are guys, ive got the part numbers and prices of the Aurions wiper blade assy and rubber wipers.

LH Rubber Wiper - 85214-06120 $8.45

RH Rubber Wiper - 85214-06110 $8.45

LH FR Wiper Blade ASSY - 85222-06080 $37.35

RH FR Wiper Blade ASSY - 85212-06080 $37.35

RRP incl GST.

:)

Here we are guys, ive got the part numbers and prices of the Aurions wiper blade assy and rubber wipers.

RRP incl GST.

:)

Where does this come from? Can I take this to my Toyota Dealer and say that is how much you should charge me.

Where does this come from? Can I take this to my Toyota Dealer and say that is how much you should charge me.

Those prices quoted are Recommended Retail Prices from Toyota genuine spares since Adamsy works for Toyota. You should be able to get them from your local Toyota spare parts division for that much or better, and if they try to charge you more, just say you will go elsewhere because you have seen them sell for such and such.

Adamsy, on 13 April 2010 - 08:13 PM, said:

RRP incl GST.

Yes as DJ mentioned these are RRP and GST inclusive and yeah i Work for Toyota so this is easy information for me to gather :). You won’t need to give your local Toyota Part and Accessories division the part numbers they can suss that out for them self but yeah you could mention that you’ve visited other dealers in that area and they was going to charge you this price or that price if that particular dealers price is dearer. All dealers prices should be pretty much the same, there might be a bit of difference from state to state but nothing major though.

TRICO make wiper rubbers for the Aurion, the only thing you need to do is take the metal "spines" out of the old ones, slip them into the new ones. cost $21.60 the pair.the part # TRJ710-20

• 2 weeks later...

A big thanks to Shane_85 on his suggestion of Tridon wipers. Got them from Supercheapauto with a 20% off voucher, came to about $10.50 for set of rubber refills.

The curved metal inserts fitted into the rubber exactly and only had to cut one of them off shorter.

Wiping fine and much cheaper than any other option.

• 1 year later...

I bought a set of wiper (left and right blades with rubber) form ebay yesterday.They look great ,cost Only $17. Yes the BOCHE cost around $60 on ebay but I will try the cheaper one first

Just a curious question, how do you know when to change the wiper blades?

I found these 2 websites a while ago and you can the wipers cheaper there.

http://www.tradeparts.com.au/index.php

http://www.mecanica.com.au/index.php

Code for the Bosch aerotwin blades for Aurion are BBA500 and BBA600.

Edited by A Buff Hamster

• 4 months later...

sooooo... it is the start of the wet season up here and i just bought a new right side wiper blade (left side was replaced when i bought it 2nd hand) from toyota parts ($9.80 including tax). i have been sifting through the forum and online but have not been able to find how to remove the blade and and fit the new rubber... the links above come up with errors now... please help