Port and Polishing

Scan of the dyno?

Are you able to give details of mods between the baseline and the latest run?

Hey Dave

ive done stage 3 cams, port and polished heads mwr valves and mwr valve springs plus full service.

post-17663-127389497474_thumb.jpg

Valve train and service doesn't net any power increase so it's all down to the cams and head porting.

Grr, I hate speed on the x-axis; what's the new redline?

Where is lift now, looks to be at 105 km/h, so roughly 6200 rpm? The gains look good on the low cam, which the Piper cams do.

What was the base map? Did they start with a MWR map or do it themselves from scratch?

The AFR looks better down low, but not nearly rich enough in my opinion. Tuner probably wanted to run it lean to avoid the sub 3000 rpm power loss. How does that feel?

'CHA54' might have better knowledge on how reliable an AFR of 14.5:1 will be in the long term at low rpm.

How does your initial baseline run look like before you added the PFC? How many hours was the tuning session? Tuning in 3rd gear? What was the ramping rate of the dyno? Did he take it out on the road to finalise the tune? New redline?

for 28 pulls on the dyno I would have expected a smoother AFR curve than that, it does look a tad lean down low too. I hope the guys were using det-cans while tuning it and not relying on the ordinary powerfc knock indication.

Valve train and service doesn't net any power increase so it's all down to the cams and head porting.

Grr, I hate speed on the x-axis; what's the new redline?

Where is lift now, looks to be at 105 km/h, so roughly 6200 rpm? The gains look good on the low cam, which the Piper cams do.

What was the base map? Did they start with a MWR map or do it themselves from scratch?

The AFR looks better down low, but not nearly rich enough in my opinion. Tuner probably wanted to run it lean to avoid the sub 3000 rpm power loss. How does that feel?

'CHA54' might have better knowledge on how reliable an AFR of 14.5:1 will be in the long term at low rpm.

on the dyno it was at 6200rpm but i changed it myself to 5800

mid range yeh fells heaps quicker

the tuned it from scratch, not this time around though

to be honest if feels a lot stronger all round. i know numbers arnt everything but only 5kw extra peek is kind of sad?? or and i being unrealistic.

How does your initial baseline run look like before you added the PFC? How many hours was the tuning session? Tuning in 3rd gear? What was the ramping rate of the dyno? Did he take it out on the road to finalise the tune? New redline?

Before the PFC not too much difference really just a little more midrage

not sure on the rest. all question i will need to ask next time.

new redline when i got the car was 8000 i changed it to 8500 :) just for fun

for 28 pulls on the dyno I would have expected a smoother AFR curve than that, it does look a tad lean down low too. I hope the guys were using det-cans while tuning it and not relying on the ordinary powerfc knock indication.

not 100% sure what a det-cans is but from what i can tell i hope so to!!

Who thinks i should get it retuned somewhere else?

on the dyno it was at 6200rpm but i changed it myself to 5800

mid range yeh fells heaps quicker

the tuned it from scratch, not this time around though

to be honest if feels a lot stronger all round. i know numbers arnt everything but only 5kw extra peek is kind of sad?? or and i being unrealistic.

With the Piper cams lower isn't always better. Since the low cam is much more aggressive it moves the power band higher, same on the high cam. The yanks often end up with a transition point of 6800 rpm for the stage 3 and 6200 rpm for the stage 2. Varies of course with mods; most don't have ported heads so that might allow a slightly lower transition.

I provided my tuner with a MWR base map but he pretty much rewrote the whole thing in the end. But I have loaded the MWR map back on and it runs just as good, slightly less power though; there are many ways to skin a cat.

The gains look solid though.

Det cans are Detonation headphones. Attached to a knock sensor or similar on the block so the tuner can hear when it starts to knock. They're a good thing to use especially when tuning a high-strung NA engine. I wouldn't trust the PFC knock output.