Bolt on induction

Hiya, i want to throw a supercharger in my car. pretty basic line of thought really. I would like ideas one what kind would be good for a day use car, that will give me enough oomph to go hooning around when i want. I DONT NOT WANT A DRAG CAR. i have a 98 corolla 1.8L, 45000 kms on the clock, a new water pump, radiator, hoses and head gasket, no thanks to a dodgy mechanic. Anyhow, who makes the blower, and will it do what i want?

any other recommendations would also be appreciated. just remember i dont want a dragster, just a fun car that bites when asked to.

Oh, the whine of the supercharger is very important, loud is good.

Toyota have an SC12 and SC14 supercharger, but I don't know if they bolt onto the 7AFE head or what else you would need to change in the way of pulleys, belts, throttlebody, injectors and ECU, etc... Someone else can chime in, or you can do a search yourself. On the noise issue - I've read many times that a noisy supercharger is an inefficient supercharger. I don't know if they mean efficiency in making power, or fuel economy.

Also, there are 3 common types of superchargers:

- Centrifugal [like a turbocharger but driven by a belt, can be intercooled and is often quieter than other types of superchagers, eg: Powerdine],

- Roots [shifts a given volume of air per rotation, has 2 paddles usually with 2 lobes per paddle, very noisy, can be intercooled if remotely mounted],

- Lysholm "twin" screws [similar to roots, but with screws instead of lobes. It needs a bypass valve to draw air to the engine when not operating].

OK, Roots is the most commonly available supercharger, and will give you the noise you want. Eaton make these with 2 and 3 lobe variants, and Toyota used a special 4 lobe Eaton on the TRD Aurion. Strangely the Aurion supercharger has a bypass valve instead of using a clutched pulley [so it's spinning all the time?]. Usually Roots superchargers have a clutched pulley and just suck air past the lobes when not running. They don't usually run all the time, and typically won't until XXXXrpm and/or XXC temp is reached. Some people reduce the pulley size for extra boost, but in doing so usually lose the clutch, and need to add a bypass valve if they don't want the supercharger running all the time. You can run the supercharger constantly, but it will be bad on fuel economy.

Lots to consider,

Gav.

Just a silly question:

Your car - 98 Corolla, 45k on the clock. That's quite light usage - is it worthwhile inducting?

Not silly at all really,it was a granny car that was used as a shopping trolley, now i have procured it i want something fun to play in that actually responds to my push on the pedal, not something that slops off the line:P. As ive just replaced the cooling system, as well as the head gasket on it i want to get a bit more oomph outta it, as i drive it a lot more, and a lot harder than its previous owner

Edited by bonzai_cyberninja

Toyota have an SC12 and SC14 supercharger, but I don't know if they bolt onto the 7AFE head or what else you would need to change in the way of pulleys, belts, throttlebody, injectors and ECU, etc... Someone else can chime in, or you can do a search yourself. On the noise issue - I've read many times that a noisy supercharger is an inefficient supercharger. I don't know if they mean efficiency in making power, or fuel economy.

Also, there are 3 common types of superchargers:

- Centrifugal [like a turbocharger but driven by a belt, can be intercooled and is often quieter than other types of superchagers, eg: Powerdine],

- Roots [shifts a given volume of air per rotation, has 2 paddles usually with 2 lobes per paddle, very noisy, can be intercooled if remotely mounted],

- Lysholm "twin" screws [similar to roots, but with screws instead of lobes. It needs a bypass valve to draw air to the engine when not operating].

OK, Roots is the most commonly available supercharger, and will give you the noise you want. Eaton make these with 2 and 3 lobe variants, and Toyota used a special 4 lobe Eaton on the TRD Aurion. Strangely the Aurion supercharger has a bypass valve instead of using a clutched pulley [so it's spinning all the time?]. Usually Roots superchargers have a clutched pulley and just suck air past the lobes when not running. They don't usually run all the time, and typically won't until XXXXrpm and/or XXC temp is reached. Some people reduce the pulley size for extra boost, but in doing so usually lose the clutch, and need to add a bypass valve if they don't want the supercharger running all the time. You can run the supercharger constantly, but it will be bad on fuel economy.

Lots to consider,

Gav.

I am looking at the sc14 as a bolt on option, as to weather or not i look at changing anything else i dont know yet. i dont know if i can be bothered to spend the money on the engine yet. its more a matter of time will tell, if i like how it feels with a blower on i might consider giving it a bit more work, but as it stands atm i just wanna see what it feels like in a mildy boosted environment

Ditch the 7A and replace it with the 4AGZE. supercharged 1600. Not a hard swap to do.

i have considered getting the blown 1600, a mate did that to his 94 corolla, and it was pretty awesome. i might look at one once the 7A dies, but as ive already invested a number of hours into the engine in getting it back to life after its mild mistreatment i dont wanna just scrap it quite yet. just for future reference tho, where would a good place be to look for a 4AGZE????? and any ideas as to whats a reasonable price?

What about a SC-14 bolted onto a 05 1ZZ Corolla?

Not 100% sure how I'm gonna pull it off, but I'm planning on it... B)

why not just get a blitz kit?