Smart entry key fobs

Just wondering, when the batteries in the key fobs for the Smart entry system eventually go flat, are the batteries simply replaced or do Toyota try and force you to purchase new remotes ?

Steve

The battery model # "CR 2032" 3 volt is replacable, you will notice a small slot near the keyring open it up and the unit pops out. you should be able to get these batteries at any battery supplier.

You don't need new remotes. As Scoota said, just crack open the remote using the slot at the bottom.

You may find you have trouble finding one though. I searched all over the city I live in, as well as in town where I work, and around a few other town around the state when I have stopped while passing through. I tried Chickenfeed, chemists, jewellers, Repco & Autobarn, Coles, Woolies... the list goes on. None of them sold that battery. I ended up having to bit the bullet and buying one from my local Toyota dealer. Cost me $20.

You don't need new remotes. As Scoota said, just crack open the remote using the slot at the bottom.

You may find you have trouble finding one though. I searched all over the city I live in, as well as in town where I work, and around a few other town around the state when I have stopped while passing through. I tried Chickenfeed, chemists, jewellers, Repco & Autobarn, Coles, Woolies... the list goes on. None of them sold that battery. I ended up having to bit the bullet and buying one from my local Toyota dealer. Cost me $20.

probably someone like battery world would have them, but you would be paying the same as toyota.

The battery model # "CR 2032" 3 volt is replacable, you will notice a small slot near the keyring open it up and the unit pops out. you should be able to get these batteries at any battery supplier.

The CR2032 is for the standard remote central locking keyfobs. The Smart Entry uses a CR1632 battery which you can find at Jaycar for $3.95. For those with the standard keyfob, you can also find the CR2032 at Jaycar for $3.95 as well.

The instructions to replace it are in the manual, but basically you remove the key on the side, then insert the tip of the key into the small slot next to where you insert the key normally. Then you twist it and the remote pops open.

• Like 1

"Paradigm

Posted Today, 05:04 PM

You may find you have trouble finding one though. I searched all over the city I live in, as well as in town where I work, and around a few other town around the state when I have stopped while passing through. I tried Chickenfeed, chemists, jewellers, Repco & Autobarn, Coles, Woolies... the list goes on. None of them sold that battery. I ended up having to bit the bullet and buying one from my local Toyota dealer. Cost me $20."

Lol Chris your's was $17.00 i try to look after you dude :)

Hey Mr Grumble

I bought a pack of five off of the net for 16 bucks a few weeks back and have a few spares so if your in Perth you can have one.

Cheers

Fiddy

Thanks for the offer, I'm on the east coast so probably not viable, besides I can get wholesale thru Jaycar anyways.

Cheers....

Hey look, thanks for that. The last 'newer' vehicle I had with a key fob, couldn't have the battery replaced, instead Nissan wanted $275 for a new key fob.

Just out of curosity, has anyone had to purchase a new remote, what did it cost ?

Steve

I can't give you an exact price , i did replace 1 of my Zr remotes under warranty. It came with the car in the service book with 6500klms on the clock and did not operate. I replaced the battery and still no go, so decided to reprogram it and that never worked. I ordered a new one and replaced it. i don't think you will get any change out of $300. as a matter of interest i always keep my fob in my pocket and it gets treated pretty rough , i found these that i thought where pretty good. i need to protect such an expensive bit of gear ????

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Toyota-Camry-Avalon-Smart-Key-Remote-Protective-Cover_W0QQitemZ280438894481QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item414b75ef91 (for the ZR6,presara smart entry)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Toyota-Solara-Avalon-Keyless-Remote-Protective-Cover_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem414170778fQQitemZ280270763919QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories ( for the sx6 ,atx and camry )

Edited by GSV40R

GSV40R, cheers for the ebay link to the remote covers, we've been looking around for something to put them into since we brought the car home.

Have placed an order for (4) and that should help prolong their lifespan hopefully...........

Steve

Edited by mr_grumble2010

GSV40R, cheers for the ebay link to the remote covers, we've been looking around for something to put them into since we brought the car home.

Have placed an order for (4) and that should help prolong their lifespan hopefully...........

Steve

no worries , im contemplating buying 6 - 10 , im always asked at work how to protect the remote fobs , now i have an answer

cheers Tim

"Paradigm

Posted Today, 05:04 PM

You may find you have trouble finding one though. I searched all over the city I live in, as well as in town where I work, and around a few other town around the state when I have stopped while passing through. I tried Chickenfeed, chemists, jewellers, Repco & Autobarn, Coles, Woolies... the list goes on. None of them sold that battery. I ended up having to bit the bullet and buying one from my local Toyota dealer. Cost me $20."

Lol Chris your's was $17.00 i try to look after you dude :)

Haha, yeah, point, mine was $17 (cheers), but these guys probably wouldn't get it for that. ;)

Paradigm-

Haha, yeah, point, mine was $17 (cheers), but these guys probably wouldn't get it for that.

lol yeah that's true but like all good things in life it's who you know not what you know?

Haha, yeah, point, mine was $17 (cheers), but these guys probably wouldn't get it for that. ;)

Depends on how friendly you are with the guy in the spare parts department. I have saved hundreds of dollars getting stuff at wholesale pricing. Quite useful considering the amount of things I had to get directly from Toyota.

But with the battery available at Jaycar for $3.95, there's no way I'd be getting it at Toyota.

Depends on how friendly you are with the guy in the spare parts department. I have saved hundreds of dollars getting stuff at wholesale pricing. Quite useful considering the amount of things I had to get directly from Toyota.

But with the battery available at Jaycar for $3.95, there's no way I'd be getting it at Toyota.

Definately helps. As Matt said, its who you know.

We don't have a Jaycar here. But then Devonport's a bit of a sh!thole.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Before doing any damage, please confirm: is it the small slot next to the big key hole in this image ?

keys.jpg

Regards,

BH

Before doing any damage, please confirm: is it the small slot next to the big key hole in this image ?

That is correct. Insert the tip of the key which you just removed from there into that slot (it's a perfect fit) then twist the key and it will pop it open.

• 2 weeks later...

That is correct. Insert the tip of the key which you just removed from there into that slot (it's a perfect fit) then twist the key and it will pop it open.

Thanks. It took me a while to workout how to undo three small clips which hold the battery; at the end: perfect. Many thanks again,

BH

• 3 weeks later...

So refreshing to hear a car company that actually lets you just replace the battery, with the Holden Statesman I am currently selling to buy an Aurion you have to purchase the entire key at I think around $120, expensive and also not very 'green' of them in just chucking keys away every time they go flat

• 11 months later...

Just thought I should point out to anyone reading these posts that there are in fact 2 batteries in the smart key. I got mine for $2.95 each at Jaycar on Morphett St in Adelaide

Just thought I should point out to anyone reading these posts that there are in fact 2 batteries in the smart key. I got mine for $2.95 each at Jaycar on Morphett St in Adelaide

Two batteries hey. Care to take a photo for reference so that we have the right information here?