Busted for driving unreg'd car in NSW

Cin

Hi everyone,

I was pulled over for RBT today, and my car rego was unpaid (but the CTP greenslip was paid). The copper spotted the expired rego sticker, and ran a check on the rego, then started to issue a fine. In the meantime, I called RTA and paid my rego using my credit card and got off the phone before he could issue me the fine. The time written on the fine was after the time I paid my rego, which makes me wonder if the fine can be revoked on a technicality. Its just a crazy thought, and I know I was in the wrong, but i'm curious to know whether it would hold up in court... Peace

In theory this would sound like you could pull it off.... but you would have to be dreaming.

However... if you were to dispute it in court, they would immediately be questioning why it was only paid moments before the fine. Basically because the cop had to pull you over for you to go ahead to pay it, you were technically driving unregistered for the period of time up until you arrived to the RBT.

At the time he pulled you over you were unregistered...not to mention wheres your new rego sticker, you need to present a receipt or have the sticker on the vehicle, u can get done even if the rego sticker is in the glove box.

...not to mention wheres your new rego sticker, you need to present a receipt or have the sticker on the vehicle, u can get done even if the rego sticker is in the glove box.

Dunno about elsewhere in the country, but in Tassie you have up 30 days after the rego period begins to put your sticker on.

That said, the fact that he pulled you over and you paid your rego while he was writing the fine, I reckon that means the fine is still valid.

Would it be believeable that you were on your way to pay your rego when you got done? Thats the only way I see of you being able to get out of it.

Would it be believeable that you were on your way to pay your rego when you got done? Thats the only way I see of you being able to get out of it.

Provided you were close to home, you should have come out to the cop with this line straight up. When the rego has expired the car is only drivable for the purpose of getting rego (and even then only to the "nearest" pink slip provider, "nearest" RTA etc).

As it stands now..... yeah, good luck I guess.

This was my case once. Despite whether you have paid your rego or not, you are required to put up the new ones. I paid my rego way back before I got pulled for RBT, the coppers were about to issue the fine until I showed em the sticker which I had put on the drawer. Even then, they still wanted to issue the fine. After arguing, I got away with a warning.

IMO, I don't think you can get away with it... It's the matter of putting up the new rego sticker.

Edited by VF-X

Similar think happened to my old man, but they took the plates and destroyed them, we had to get the car re-registered, had to go for a road worthy etc. just one big hassle <_<