Engineering Certificate

Hey guys..

Tried to search this on the forum but no results. Today I got pulled over for breath test, but the weird thing is I was told to get out of the car. There I was, standing in the drizzling rain and did the breath test. But then, the officer questioned me about the legality of my car. He asked where's my Engineering Certificate, and I said I didn't have any. He even asked me the mod that's been there for 2 years, the wheels! As far as I know, I didn't mod my car to the point that I need to acquire them. When I said, I've been pulled over so many times and no officers had ever questioned about the mods. So I'm wondering how many people in this forum actually done modding their cars to the point that they need this certificate.

Edited by VF-X

Did the wheels exceed the maximum increase in diameter?

Engineering certificates are only really required on major mods, like engine swaps, major brake changes like bigger rotors or callipers and so on. Different wheels aren't considered major unless (in QLD) they are 2" bigger than what the car left the factory with. But even then you are still required to use lower profile tyres to keep the overall circumference pretty much the same. A change in the circumference would require a cert.

Nah.. The police started questioning for my wheels after he notice the inside guard fender is rolled. And he said the lowering was also too low. I read the newspaper when it first applied, lowering doesn't need an Engineering Cert if it doesn't exceed 5 cm and a max of 15 cm with the cert. I'm sure I didn't lower it more than 5 cm.

He also said he's gonna check my car AGAIN on wednesday, so I need to get the cert by tuesday. How is he gonna get to me?

from your mods mate you should have an engineers certificate according to NSW rules and regs, damn i had to get one for my wheels exhaust and lowering

holy crap... I guess I am going to get assraped when i come to NSW in my car :eek:

from your mods mate you should have an engineers certificate according to NSW rules and regs, damn i had to get one for my wheels exhaust and lowering

Damn.. Yea, I'll have to get it. I don't want cops keep chasin my *****. U know around how much would this cost?

yep i have an engineers certificate ...... had to due to mods ..... in nsw depending on the police person scoping ur car ANY change thats not relatively close to stock is deemed as requiring a certificate .... a lot of the clauses and by laws are very interprative so unless u know how to handle urself with words ull get done ..... ive only ever had to produce my certificate once when i was getting harased and that got him to back off ..... cost all depends on how many things ur putting in ur report but from memory rims was about 400-600 ..... then again also depends on how much the engineer wants the work ..... check the rta website for a list of engineers that could do it for u

yep i have an engineers certificate ...... had to due to mods ..... in nsw depending on the police person scoping ur car ANY change thats not relatively close to stock is deemed as requiring a certificate .... a lot of the clauses and by laws are very interprative so unless u know how to handle urself with words ull get done ..... ive only ever had to produce my certificate once when i was getting harased and that got him to back off ..... cost all depends on how many things ur putting in ur report but from memory rims was about 400-600 ..... then again also depends on how much the engineer wants the work ..... check the rta website for a list of engineers that could do it for u

1 Mods for 400-600? That's a rip-off! Any1 in Sydney area know a good place to do this? I wanna consult with the expertise..

1 Mods for 400-600? That's a rip-off! Any1 in Sydney area know a good place to do this? I wanna consult with the expertise..

I reckon, I was speaking to Anthony who did his Gen4 supercharger install and manual gearbox conversion and a modplate/Eng cert only cost him $150.

Sounds like the NSW crew are getting robbed.

I reckon, I was speaking to Anthony who did his Gen4 supercharger install and manual gearbox conversion and a modplate/Eng cert only cost him $150.

I really should get a mod plate too...

Wow.. 150! Sounds like a bargain.. Any contact details?

Sorry, I should have specified that this bloke is in QLD

Sorry, I should have specified that this bloke is in QLD

Awwww...=(. I thought the bloke did his in NSW. So far, the quote I got from talkin to my mates range from 500 up to 1k++ :(

Awwww...=(. I thought the bloke did his in NSW. So far, the quote I got from talkin to my mates range from 500 up to 1k++ :(

I just gave the bloke a call. Supercharger + Brake modplate (LA3 and LG2) for QLD will cost me $160.

I'll speak to the bloke and see if he does complaince plates/eng certs to NSW standards. Might be worth the trip up to sunny Brisbane.

I just gave the bloke a call. Supercharger + Brake modplate (LA3 and LG2) for QLD will cost me $160.

I'll speak to the bloke and see if he does complaince plates/eng certs to NSW standards. Might be worth the trip up to sunny Brisbane.

Ask if the guy knows any1 in NSW who does. If not, I'll just drive there.. LoL

Ask if the guy knows any1 in NSW who does. If not, I'll just drive there.. LoL

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/downloads/vsi/vsi_15_engineering_signatories_rev_20_23march_2010.pdf

direct link to rta's view of the world regarding certificates .... also contains a list of engineers ......... start ur dialling and getting quotes from the source themselves ...... if ur having to drive to qld ur gonna spend more on petrol getting up there + ur time driving up n back etc etc or just cough up here in sydney ....

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/downloads/vsi/vsi_15_engineering_signatories_rev_20_23march_2010.pdf

direct link to rta's view of the world regarding certificates .... also contains a list of engineers ......... start ur dialling and getting quotes from the source themselves ...... if ur having to drive to qld ur gonna spend more on petrol getting up there + ur time driving up n back etc etc or just cough up here in sydney ....

Haha.. Of course I won't go there just for cert, after all it's pretty near to Goldcoast already.

Anw, cheers Xoom. E-mailed few of em already. I hope the reply will be a good news. *fingers crossed*

any replies ?

Yeap. To make it easier, I'll just post what he replied.

Vick

No engineer can give you a price without knowing exactly what it is you have or intend to do. It’s like going to a restaurant and asking to pay the bill before you have placed the order.

All engineers will ask you to pay for their time and if they have to keep going back, yes the charge will be additional. Often this is caused because some of the vehicles are poorly modified or don’t comply. The engineer must see the vehicle in the finished complying condition. This is an RTA requirement.

Engineers do not certify to roadworthiness. This is the job of the pink slip station. The engineer looks at particular parts that are not simple AIS checks.

If you want to discuss it further, my charge is $250 for the first hour (and part there of) then $200 for each hour afterwards. The charges made by engineers are in line with any other profession.

If you want general information about how the scheme operates you can call the RTA help desk.

Regards.

Peter Goudie

And after a bit of search about the man, He's one of the helpers who designed the RTA rules

http://www.smh.com.au/news/employment-news/peter-goudie-mechanical-engineer/2005/12/09/1134086790244.html

Made quite a number of queries, only this one so far. So I'll still be looking around.

simply put .... we r in business ... we cant simply talk for free to share our intellectual property ..... to be honest thats fair enough ..... far to many people want stuff for free and not prepared to pay for knowledge .... the internet has bread this freebee culture which shouldnt apply for everything ...... damn i wish i charged a consultation fee for the time of put into my posts and pm's on the forum ..... lol

also out of curiosity didnt u say to him i want a eng cert for parts a,b,c etc etc ? bcuz he's taking the ***** out of u a little in the first few lines without directly saying stop wasting my time ..... lol