Headlight troubles

Nick101

hey all,

i just logged onto here and only just recently got my 1989 SX Celica so sorry for the newbie stuff lol. Um im in SA to start with and my headlights are really dodgy, so i went to autobarn and bought some brighter globes, and when i got home to change them i discovered that the globe is actually in-built to the glass surround. So i cant change the globes..... So i was wondering:

a ) Is there anywhere i can buy a glass surround (light) that allows me to change globes?

or

b ) Anywhere i can buy the part with brighter globes?

Im preffering option A but then cant decide whether to go for the brighter globes i have "Phillips X-treme Power + 80% light" or a HID Kit. Also where the best place to get a HID Kit and have it installed?

Thanks for your help.

Nick

Edited by Nick101

The headlight globes certainly can be changed. It's been ages since I've done it on mine and the details are a bit hazy, but basically there's a couple of screws that hold a plastic facade that need to be undone (don't move the adjustment screw). Once you've done that, there's another couple of screws that hold the headlight to the 'pop-up' mechanism on the sides. After undoing all the screws, the headlight should be free to pull out and you should see a black wiring loom at the rear. Grab the whole thing and give it a good twist about 30 degrees counter-clockwise (it can take a bit of practice, be patient), then the bulb assembly separates from the headlight. Replace the globe by pulling it straight out and assemble in reverse order.

Hope that helps.

edit: you can also buy the entire headlight, some have nicer patterns etc. I had a good website but I lost it, but they are available on ebay usually. Personally I'm happy with my white globes, I think they're probably the same as the ones you bought. HIDs would be too intense for my liking, but each to their own.

Edited by Keisari

The headlight globes certainly can be changed. It's been ages since I've done it on mine and the details are a bit hazy, but basically there's a couple of screws that hold a plastic facade that need to be undone (don't move the adjustment screw). Once you've done that, there's another couple of screws that hold the headlight to the 'pop-up' mechanism on the sides. After undoing all the screws, the headlight should be free to pull out and you should see a black wiring loom at the rear. Grab the whole thing and give it a good twist about 30 degrees counter-clockwise (it can take a bit of practice, be patient), then the bulb assembly separates from the headlight. Replace the globe by pulling it straight out and assemble in reverse order.

Hope that helps.

edit: you can also buy the entire headlight, some have nicer patterns etc. I had a good website but I lost it, but they are available on ebay usually. Personally I'm happy with my white globes, I think they're probably the same as the ones you bought. HIDs would be too intense for my liking, but each to their own.

Yea i had the whole light out in my hand, but it almost look like the globe had been welded into the back of the light....arent these lights similar shape and size to the mazda's that have the pop ups?