Cruisin with Cruise Control...

Hey guys,

I have a 03' Corolla Conquest Hatch, every year at least once a year I travel 15 hours to visit family members. During this 15 hour period fluctuations with speed always occur and can sometimes get caught out (once) as well as sore and tired feet.

Just wondering whether anyone has had a Cruise Control kit installed in their vehicle around this model and if it was difficult to install and how much? Wouldn't mind finding out how much a Genuine kit costs if there is one.

Cheers

L3th

Just found out that there is no Genuine kits available, so that leaves aftermarket kits, does anyone have one installed already? any good? price?

Cheers

hey i installed one on my 02 Levin back in the day. worked really well. it was an AP300. you can pick them up off ebay for a reasonable price. :)

Just found out that there is no Genuine kits available, so that leaves aftermarket kits, does anyone have one installed already? any good? price?

Cheers

There *IS* a genuine kit, you just have to make it.

Other than that most kits leave you with a fairly ugly extra stalk that they normally stick behind the wiper switch on the steering column.

Installed price would be around $700

There *IS* a genuine kit, you just have to make it.

Other than that most kits leave you with a fairly ugly extra stalk that they normally stick behind the wiper switch on the steering column.

Installed price would be around $700

part numbers for genuine?

Cheers

Edited by L3tho1

part numbers for genuine?

Cheers

I will list what the parts came from.

Cruise control ECU from 2ZZ Celica make sure you get the connector as well. One from a Camry may also work as the cruise actuators are all very similar despite having different part numbers.

Cruise control actuator from a 4cyl Camry, you need this as this has a longer throttle body cable than the V6 one or vice versa

Actuator mounting bracket from a V6 Camry

Cruise Switch from a Prado ( This is because I have a 3 spoke steering wheel, if you have a 4 spoke you will require a different switch )

Spiral cable ( also called a Clock Spring) from a JDM Corolla although one from the current Corolla may work depending on the connectors. ( You can't use the existing one as although there are two connectors, on mine the two connectors shared the same wire which is also used for the horn, so every time you turn the cruise on your horn will briefly sound )

Clutch switch used the one from the Celica

Brake switch ( 2 pole cruise type ) again from a Celica but any cruise type will do.

Then about a weekend making the cabling and mounts and installing it.

Alternatively the US models came out with cruise and it now may be worthwhile getting the bits from a wrecker over there. The models to look at are the Matrix and the XRS and possibly the Pontiac Vibe ( rebadged )

Edited by stockstivo

Hey guys,

Just wondering whether anyone has had a Cruise Control kit installed in their vehicle around this model and if it was difficult to install and how much? Wouldn't mind finding out how much a Genuine kit costs if there is one.

Cheers

L3th

One other question which is rather important is, do you have a throttle cable or drive by wire?

If you have drive by wire you can't fit a cable type cruise control.

thanks for the info stockstivo, not sure on how to check if I have a throttle cable or drive by wire?

Seems to be alot of things are needed for the Cruise control to be installed. I was searching the forum and found this.. http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=86751

Not exactly my model but can something similar be done. The switch in pic 2 is something I would prefer.

Cheers

Edited by L3tho1