Rain sensor issue - How to save $70.00

Kombi17

Hi everyone, great forum and this is my first post.

I recently purchased a used Aurion with auto rain sensor which wasn't working. The reason was the windscreen was replaced in the past and the piece of clear rubber that sat between the rain sensor and windscreen was missing. Toyota called this part magnifying tape, it was essentially 1mm clear rubber, the size of a postage stamp.

Anyway, Toyota charged 30.00 for this tape and another 70.00 to install it. Fortunately for me, they weren't able to install it on the spot and stated it would take an hour. They did mention any windscreen shop could do it. Although it was a straight forward install, I wasn't willing to attempt ungluing the rain sensor and gluing it back on with the tape on incase I seriously messed things up.

As it turned out, the rain sensor was not glued onto the windscreen! It was clipped onto a bracket that was glued to the windscreen. It was just a case of unclipping the sensor, whacking on the tape and clipping it back onto the bracket. Total time - 5 minutes (including careful cleaning of sensor and windscreen and being careful not to leave finger prints on tape). Total savings - $70.

Hope this helps you. Have a great day.

Edited by Kombi17