Conversion from Automatic to Manual

Hi guys..

Now that I started with some little mods, I have this crazy idea of converting my automatic transmission to a manual.

how feasible is that?

what does it take to do this kind of conversion?

Hi guys..

Now that I started with some little mods, I have this crazy idea of converting my automatic transmission to a manual.

how feasible is that?

what does it take to do this kind of conversion?

i guess you have a 1zz? i read somewhere on the forum that the sportivo 6 speed trans. isnt a great option for a swap.. if you trashed the auto trans. then its probebly not impossable to swap for a manual 1zz trans.. besides carving a hole into the floor for the clutch, not exactly sure what other complications involved, the most sensable option is to return your car to stock and trade in for a manual, then install your small mods into the manual!

<br />
<br />Hi guys..<br /><br />Now that I started with some little mods, I have this crazy idea of converting my automatic transmission to a manual.<br />how feasible is that?<br />what does it take to do this kind of conversion?<br />
<br /><br />i guess you have a 1zz? i read somewhere on the forum that the sportivo 6 speed trans. isnt a great option for a swap.. if you trashed the auto trans. then its probebly not impossable to swap for a manual 1zz trans.. besides carving a hole into the floor for the clutch, not exactly sure what other complications involved, the most sensable option is to return your car to stock and trade in for a manual, then install your small mods into the manual!<br />
<br /><br /><br />

no, I have a 2zzge.

It was just some crazy idea that cam up :)

after I posted this topic I searched bit on the forum and saw that this is already mentioned a couple of times..

You wont find anyone on this forum that has done it... we never got auto 2zz corollas in Australia.

If its the same as the Celica tho, you'll need a manual ECU, possibly new wiring loom and of course the manual transmission (plus manual trim bits for the cabin). Those 6sp trannys are pretty expensive too.

You wont find anyone on this forum that has done it... we never got auto 2zz corollas in Australia.

If its the same as the Celica tho, you'll need a manual ECU, possibly new wiring loom and of course the manual transmission (plus manual trim bits for the cabin). Those 6sp trannys are pretty expensive too.

I know on the Celica the extra wires to run the automatic don't displace the base wires the manual requires, if that makes sense. I don't have a copy of the automatic 2zz wiring diagram, but I'd imagine it's the same since the 1zz Corolla does the same. That's not to say the auto ECU will run a manual setup, just saying you might be able get away with not changing any wiring while using a manual ECU.

As for gearbox selection you'll need the 6 speed box (C64) from a Corolla as the gear linkages are at the front on the Celica (C60) version of the box. Check out this thread for parts needed http://newcelica.org/forums/showthread.php?t=26105&highlight=auto+manual+swap