Sign in to follow this  
CAP

Gear Shift Knobs

Sort of a Technical Question.

What would assist you in shifting gears quicker, A heavier gear knob or a lighter gear knob?

Alot of the Alloy type knobs I've seen around seem to be significantly heavier than the standard knob which leads me to think it may affect my gear shifting.

If the effects will be negative - I don't want one.

Sort of a Technical Question.

What would assist you in shifting gears quicker, A heavier gear knob or a lighter gear knob?

Alot of the Alloy type knobs I've seen around seem to be significantly heavier than the standard knob which leads me to think it may affect my gear shifting. 

If the effects will be negative - I don't want one.

why did toyota go for a heavier knob in the stivo??? cause it helped mask vibration and make shifting better!

I had a Carbon Fibre shift knob in my stivo and whislt it looked nice and felt good it didnt do wonders for gear changing...so i went back to the original...which was considerably heavier ;)

Edited by Danthuyer

yeh i think ideally u'd want a heavy one that sits high. having it higher definitely makes it easier to shift (but lowers cooler ;)) and the extra weight means u use less force.

ive gotta round autotecnica one, which is so nice to shift with. its aluminium which means it doesnt "grind" against u so ur hand just rolls around it really smoothly. i luv it.

Is the TRD gear knob lighter or heavier, anyone knows?

TRD knob which came with trd Short Shifter, very light

So what does that say about the TRD quickshifter? Its supposed to be quicker right but with a lighter gear knob?

What makes it quicker is that the distance the shifter travels in the gate is shorter.

it moves the pivot point (ball) on the shaft of the gear stick to make the distance between gates shorter (as 1zz mentioned) it is also slightly shorter in height.

If you cut the stock shaft down to make it shorter, the distance between the gates is still the same. It also needs more effort to move the arm throguh the gates and especially into reverse.

I see, thaks guys bcuz i really like the TRD gear knob (white) but if its lighter on te stock shifter it will feel worse. Maybe on the quickshifter its ok but i think i am quite happy with the shifting distance, just lacks the smoothness of the Honda shift gates which are at 45degrees. ;)

i think shift knobs are a personal thing. some like to shift rough, some like to shift sweet and swift. some like knobs, some like sticks. so it depends. it would be like arguing if a same sized mug, cup or a glass would be better for drinking plain water.

Yeah, I just raised the questions because with my current shifter as is I can manage to shift pretty swiftly and smoothly.

I'd hate to pay $150 for a nice Conrero Alloy knob and then find that this works against me.

Yeah, I just raised the questions because with my current shifter as is I can manage to shift pretty swiftly and smoothly. 

I'd hate to pay $150 for a nice Conrero Alloy knob and then find that this works against me.

i've done that before. turns out i prefer knobs over sticks! :lol:

Yep always blame it on the silly knob :P :lol: :D

I was just waiting on someone to say that Shao - I knew I could rely on you :rolleyes: