starter problems

h3ctic

gday guys,

i have a 03 camry sportivo. sometimes wen i start it, the revs don't go high enough and the engine dies like a second later. usually wen the car is warm. it's a weird symptom. so ill start it, the engine starts up properly and i let go of the key, watch the idle sit at around 4-500 and then it dies. doenst happen too often but id like to get to the bottom of it.

any ideas anyone?

thnk it might be the starter motor?

cheers in advance.

gday guys,

i have a 03 camry sportivo. sometimes wen i start it, the revs don't go high enough and the engine dies like a second later. usually wen the car is warm. it's a weird symptom. so ill start it, the engine starts up properly and i let go of the key, watch the idle sit at around 4-500 and then it dies. doenst happen too often but id like to get to the bottom of it.

any ideas anyone?

thnk it might be the starter motor?

cheers in advance.

I've had this happen about 5 times before over the lifetime of me owning the car.

Most recently I had this happen just last week. I wonder what causes it?

My 1999 Camry has done this several times over the past 3.5 years of ownership. I tend to find it happens if the car is restarted within a couple of minutes of running, usually after jumping out of the car briefly to visit the ATM, refuel, etc. In the past few weeks, I've had it happen a more than often but generally I find switching the key to "on" for a few seconds before starting helps prevent it.

My partner's Vienta of the same era does something similar, but it has never stalled.

I recall a road test of a V6 Camry some years complained of the problem in the test car. I think it might just be something that the 1MZ-FE is prone to.

Perhaps look at cleaning the throttle body.

Edited by JMacca53