Wet Carpet

I realised just now that everytime it rains my drivers side floor mats gets heavily soaked. At first when i noticed when it was wet back then i thought it was just my shoes. But after some rain this week in sydney, my mat again is heavily soaked and when i lifted my mats away the carpet lining was also drenched.. the floor mat was also dripping as i removed it from my car :blink:

Does anyone know what spots to check or know where the water could be leaking in from?

cheers

Ah mate this could be a big issue if you don't fix it ASAP as moisture stays in the car when the windows and such are closed.

Places to check for water leakage would be mainly around the front windscreen seals on the outside, the roof rail on the top and around the door seals, my suggestion is to have someone in the car while you hose around the windscreen, roof and door seals while the person sits in the car and uses a flashlight to see if there are any drips.

If you can, dry the floor with a wet/dry vacuum to try and prevent the metal underneath from beginning to rust.

If you notice any dripping, let us know and we'll tell you how to fix it accordingly if you need help.

Ah mate this could be a big issue if you don't fix it ASAP as moisture stays in the car when the windows and such are closed.

Places to check for water leakage would be mainly around the front windscreen seals on the outside, the roof rail on the top and around the door seals, my suggestion is to have someone in the car while you hose around the windscreen, roof and door seals while the person sits in the car and uses a flashlight to see if there are any drips.

If you can, dry the floor with a wet/dry vacuum to try and prevent the metal underneath from beginning to rust.

If you notice any dripping, let us know and we'll tell you how to fix it accordingly if you need help.

thanks for your reply.

i've noticed that this never occurs when i wash my car even when i use a pressure hose.

but yeh currently doing my best to dry it. Just then when i had to drive somewhere all my windows were fogged up (very annoying).

i'll do a thorough check tomorrow and tell what i've found

I realised just now that everytime it rains my drivers side floor mats gets heavily soaked. At first when i noticed when it was wet back then i thought it was just my shoes. But after some rain this week in sydney, my mat again is heavily soaked and when i lifted my mats away the carpet lining was also drenched.. the floor mat was also dripping as i removed it from my car :blink:

Does anyone know what spots to check or know where the water could be leaking in from?

cheers

could be the gromit that is allowing ur o2 sensor to run into the car is not sitting right or has been dislodged ?

cheers

could be the gromit that is allowing ur o2 sensor to run into the car is not sitting right or has been dislodged ?

hey would you be able to elaborate and give me instructions on how to check that? ( not really familiar with the O2 sensor and all that)

ta

this is so annoying!, edges of floor mat are still wet., car stinks, windows are fogged up.

its only wet at the base, the carpet under the pedals are dry ...

tried looking for places where the water could come from but not luck.. found a small hole under the seat where there is kind of a mound under the lever to move the seat back and forth, is it common to have that hole? will take some photos tomorrow if i have time, if my description isnt clear

cheers

hey would you be able to elaborate and give me instructions on how to check that? ( not really familiar with the O2 sensor and all that)

ta

under your car attached to ur exhaust between the cat and the engine is the stock o2 sensor (see pic below .... i have two o2 sensors because im running a wideband gauge but ull have just one) .... anyway u will see the black cable insulation coming off the sensor ..... the other end goes through a gromit in the floor under the carpet on the drivers side and runs the wires to the ecu ..... just something worth checking but yeah it would have to be missing totally i would think to allow any water through it .......

o2_sensor.jpg

Cheers xoom. will have a look into that tomorrow (more rain this week! :angry: )

while checking for places where water couldve came in from i found a hole, didnt have time to really take a good look at it though.

Just wondering if this is normal to have that hole there (and if so, whats it for?)

- immediately under the edge of the seat on the side of the mound.. (refer to photos)

post-16061-127471357967_thumb.jpg

post-16061-127471363654_thumb.jpg

after the rain today my carpet is drenched again.. mad.gif still dnno where the water is coming from

Pics are to big to get a good view of the hole... sad.gif

I would suggest a missing grommet in the floor pan somewhere, otherwise a leaking seal? Maybe round the door or the firewall.....

G'Luck mate, damp car smell is not cool >.<

after the rain today my carpet is drenched again.. mad.gif still dnno where the water is coming from

Pics are to big to get a good view of the hole... sad.gif

I would suggest a missing grommet in the floor pan somewhere, otherwise a leaking seal? Maybe round the door or the firewall.....

G'Luck mate, damp car smell is not cool >.<

oh yeh the pics are too big but i reckon that hole is not the problem.

ill try to pull up my the carpet lining when it dries and jack it up and look under it, if i cant find anything, will have to take it to someone check it out - (who? - panel beater, mechanic? ? )

You said earlier that it doesnt get wet when you wash the car?

That woud suggest to me that its getting in from a different angle/entry point.....

Its just a process of elimination i guess.

Its only the drivers side that gets wet?

Does the side of the transmision tunnel get wet too?

You said earlier that it doesnt get wet when you wash the car?

That woud suggest to me that its getting in from a different angle/entry point.....

Its just a process of elimination i guess.

Its only the drivers side that gets wet?

Does the side of the transmision tunnel get wet too?

yep it doesnt get wet when i wash my car and its only the drivers side.

i found that only the base of the floor is getting wet and no where else, like the area where there is that grey plastic bit on the carpet.. around the edges and under the pedals its all dry.

• 3 weeks later...

Check your door is sealing properly, i get leaks through the top of the door but not much :) check the top of your car, above the door seal, make sure the outside seal above your door is properly sealed.

Cheers xoom. will have a look into that tomorrow (more rain this week! :angry: )

while checking for places where water couldve came in from i found a hole, didnt have time to really take a good look at it though.

Just wondering if this is normal to have that hole there (and if so, whats it for?)

- immediately under the edge of the seat on the side of the mound.. (refer to photos)

Why not just plug up the hole and drive your car when it's raining to see if that fixes your problem.

yes will do.

i have check all the door seals and trims, all looked fine and intact. sprayed my car with a pressure hose around the door no water leaked in from those areas.

will continue to search, if i have no luck, ill take it to someone who will be able to do a better check