Neutral, and park brake

tekkyy

My driveway has a very slight incline.

I drive home in [D], "up" the slight incline, and shift to [N]. When I let go of the brakes the car moves back a little and then stops. It only moves a little (maybe 3 inches) so it shouldn't be that it moved to an area so much flatter that the rolling resistance stops the car. I shall laid down a tape measure later on.

Also, the park brake doesnt seem to work in [R].

As soon as I let go of the brakes the car moves (and doesn't stop).

(This discussion started as we discussed Aurion's transmission in "Surge in Park" http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=27179.)

I can't figure out what's going on there with your neutral issue. I've never really heard of a case like that before.

As for your park brake, sounds like it needs some adjustment. The park brake on these cars do have a tendency to not work the greatest when parked on a hill with your rear facing down the hill. A fair few in the past have reported about it rolling back a few inches when they engage the park brake, even more to the point that it relies on the park mechanism to hold it on the hill.

I found the best way to fix that is to adjust the park brake, as you would any other hand brake, by adjusting it at the rear drums then at the park brake pedal. Toyota specify 7-10 notches of the parking brake pedal to activate it, but I prefer to go to about 4-5 notches (as in it clicks 4-5 times when you push down on it).

If you are unaware of how to adjust the parking brake, details are shown in the following manual from (PDF) page 554:

http://www.camrystuff.com/manuals/Gen6/2GR-FE/Brake.pdf

• 3 years later...