CES CAI 2ZZ-GE

maca_10

@Suprathai, there was some confusion between me n xoom as to what i meant by closed. I think i confused the $h1% out of him.

anyway, the CAI's are apparently, packaged and have been shipped. Most likely be here within a few working days.

But as with all things, when you set a date for these things to be delivered they always come later so no definite date yet.

Can't wait for the install though

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

considering you have the Power FC, is ur CES CAI a custom one or the one with the MAF sensor part?

So far for me i have done one handling mod (tyres) n now the CAI (performance)

So after this it will be back to handling.

Hows the Whitline front and rear bars??

Thanks

Just picked mine up yesterday. Can't wait to put it in just need some spare time. Who actually bought one? They said there was only 3 of us. Looks like a great product

lol , i think only 3 paid so far .. I still have to pay all of it off ..

In addition to the last post, my CAI arrived today.

It will probably take me the next 10 years to remove all of the wrapping but once im done the installation shall begin.

I have the K&N filter and i also have the facelift model. I believe a hack saw is pretty handy at cutting that little piece out or maybe a jigsaw if you want it nice and round.

I haven't done mine yet but will probably do it next weekend if not this weekend

I'm going to have a crack at installing this thing on the weekend and wanted some help.

Not for the actual install but after it has been installed.

The removal of the old piping and the installation of the new one looks relatively straight forward.

But once it is installed what do I need to do so the ecu can recognise the new part.

I remember CES telling me to leave the engine running for 15 minutes before revving it or something along those lines.

If you can help me with this or any troubles you had along the way with the old piping or the new one, that would be awesome.

Thanks

I'm going to have a crack at installing this thing on the weekend and wanted some help.

Not for the actual install but after it has been installed.

The removal of the old piping and the installation of the new one looks relatively straight forward.

But once it is installed what do I need to do so the ecu can recognise the new part.

I remember CES telling me to leave the engine running for 15 minutes before revving it or something along those lines.

If you can help me with this or any troubles you had along the way with the old piping or the new one, that would be awesome.

Thanks

Try this from SD:

10 minutes with the AC OFF and the rear demister OFF

10 minutes with the AC OFF but turn the rear demister ON

10 minutes with the AC ON and the rear demister OFF

10 minutes with the AC ON and the rear demister ON

also take some pics of the cut out part for me pleaseeee

yeah, im going to try and document it when i install it and put it up here as a tutorial cause i dont think one is up so plenty of pics will be taken.

Is what SD said to help the ecu recognise the new part or something like that?

thanks for the reply

I also received an email from CES that the battery looks like it needs to be removed for the install.

And also do not rev the engine when waiting for it to reach full operating temperature as this will confuse the computer in its warm up cycle.

Im thinking i might see a tuning shop to get it installed??

Edited by kewl10_mac

Try this from SD:

what??? this had to be done??? how come i missed this post???

i just reset the ecu and then its running now with no problems... :huh:

Try this from SD:

what??? this had to be done??? how come i missed this post???

i just reset the ecu and then its running now with no problems... :huh:

That what you need to do to set the idle for the power fc. Though It may just do the trick or help a little either way. I wouldn't think you need to do anything for the stock ecu I did nothing when I put my Ted one on no problems there

• 2 weeks later...

tried to install it today, Sunday, n got about half way through removing all of the old intake parts when i found a little hose connected to the intake box.

If your looking at it from the front, its around the back on the bottom left hand side.

The CES pictures don't help and it does not seem to go any where on the new intake piping. I'm thinking that it does go someone or it is simply removed, but i don't want to take the risk.

So i installed everything back to normal n will call them on monday to have another go at it.

tried to install it today, Sunday, n got about half way through removing all of the old intake parts when i found a little hose connected to the intake box.

If your looking at it from the front, its around the back on the bottom left hand side.

The CES pictures don't help and it does not seem to go any where on the new intake piping. I'm thinking that it does go someone or it is simply removed, but i don't want to take the risk.

So i installed everything back to normal n will call them on monday to have another go at it.

yeh i need to see them mine is in but cant get it to sit straight. i think that little hose get blocked off, you stick it into one of those things sticking out underneath. if you know what i mean???

i know those holes ur talking about but there is a little attachment that that is used for. You have the 3" full through system do you?? therefore i don't think u need this part. so for me i think i do need it.

All I know is ill give them a call tomorrow n hopefully ill have a tutorial up about this soon with pics

So my CAI is installed.

Here is my tutorial on how to do it....

Get it professionally installed.

But seriously, i should have something up at the end of the week. Was a bit annoying as mine is the 05 edition.

But it sounds awesome, n i can actually notice the torque/power differences. After seeing the old intake out of the car, i would never go back to stock.

Edited by kewl10_mac

• 2 weeks later...

I was going to write up this big tutorial of how to do it.

However there are plenty of CAI installs on this forum. Plus all the pics I took are high quality and I haven't downscalled them. If you want them just PM me and I will be happy to send them to you. I took about 25 of the install.

Instead I thought it best to just leave your questions here so I can tell you about my install. :)

A few things to note:

- Mine is the 05 model. CES has two pictures of the cutout which are extremely helpful however their cutout is quite large and my cutout is not that big. It really is a little section of the inner guard.

- To install the piping the wires to the fuse box were removed. This resets your clock and radio stations but nothing else that i have figured out yet.

- I actually left the battery in and turned it round facing the radiator hose. If you do remove the battery which I did the first attempt at installing it, make sure you have a battery charger to keep a constant charge as various electronic components stop working when the battery is removed. :o

- To make it easier the bumper will have to be removed. But only slightly. This is shown in the pic below. This allows enough room to get the CAI down and the pod filter on.

- I also removed my healight just a little bit to assist in the installation. I also tried fitting the CAI to my facelift model without doing the cutout which almost worked however when replacing the bumper the headlight would not go back into place. So the cutout has to be done.

A few things to note about performance:

- Ill start with something bad :( , there is a loss of power around the 1000 revs mark. Therefore you do need to rev a little higher on takeoff. Between 2-3K i don't notice too much of a difference but when you get to 4K there is more power, hence the increase in mid to high powerband. After 6K it sounds like the world is going to end so enjoy that :yahoo:

- For the tank of fuel the consumption was terrible as i just wanted to here my intake noise but ill try a more conservative tank in the future and see how it goes. Obviously this part is not installed to save fuel so...

- On cold start up there is a massive hissing sound which really strange the first time you hear it but its simply the pod sucking in air; cold air which is better for the car.

As I said if you have any questions please PM. I hope this helps

P.S. Lift, especially in 1st + CAI is something that cannot be explained and needs to be expereinced :yahoo:

post-12775-128298342247_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

with regards to the hoses, i think i mentioned in my previous post you can completely remove the VSV actuator as its no longer needed. i used the longest rubber hose and put heat shielding on it, then put it onto the metal fingers on the cai to block it off. no issues with that.

and as for having electrical charge on the car while installing, i think its better if you remove the battery and let the power drain, as the ecu reset will benefit you for the relearning with the increase in air flow going past the MAF sensor.

the bitch with the facelifts and the ces cai is that if your near side headlight bulb goes out, you have to completely remove it <_<

Obviously this part is not installed to save fuel so...

i save more fuel with the cai on my car. thats if i don't plant my foot every time :lol:

but comparing the fuel efficiency with the stock box and cai and the driving behavior is the same, i save more fuel with cai ;)

get the headers port and polished already! :P

• 4 weeks later...
the bitch with the facelifts and the ces cai is that if your near side headlight bulb goes out, you have to completely remove it

I didn't find that with my car. However, i did remove undo the healight a little bit just to get the intake through

Agreed that the facelifts and CES CAI does not go that well together but still is a good fit.

i save more fuel with the cai on my car. thats if i don't plant my foot every time

Yeah the last tank i got 630km when the fuel light came on so thats a bit of an increase. But LIFT plus CAI is awesome.

Once the summer holidays come around ill be cleaning and modding as much as possible!