Meguiars VS Mothers VS Others

-DAvo

What Car care product brand do you prefer?  

98 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just thought I'd put today's work in this thread as well.

Haven't really babied the car since the annual meet and having the weekend off I decided to strip the wax and start afresh.

I washed her in a solution of Morning Fresh then a regular car wash liquid (polyglaze wash and wax). The car failed the squeak test on all sections I tested on the car, so I am assuming the Morning Fresh did the trick. I then clayed any trouble spots (most on the roof) using my Mothers California Gold clay kit. I was too chicken to use any SwirlX so I skipped it, but most of the car was ok in that aspect.

I used the Mothers Step 2: Sealer + Glaze which was much like applying a liquid wax in terms of application and removal. I was dubious about the claims (and reviews on the internet) but as soon as I buffed off the residue I could see a big difference already. The lustre and depth of the paintwork was so much more apparent now.

I waited 30minutes then applied my usual Meguiars Gold Class Wax. The finished product:

post-14703-127873256916_thumb.jpg post-14703-127873257753_thumb.jpg post-14703-127873258504_thumb.jpg post-14703-127873260113_thumb.jpg

I'm very happy with the difference the Step 2 made as the entire car looks that much better. The biggest improvements over just normal waxing on the car was easily the rear 1/4 panels + doors and the bootlid. I'd definitely recommend the Step 2 Sealant from Mothers.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Meguiars are my fav but they are getting abit too expensive, i also like Bowen's car shampooa and their wax...

Once a year or less I would at least attempt to clay the car, for claying those major brands one are pretty much rip off... in HK you could get those quality japanese ones for $10 bucks and make your own claying solution with from memory (without checking my source...) from washing detergents...

• 2 weeks later...

Meguiars are my fav but they are getting abit too expensive, i also like Bowen's car shampooa and their wax...

Years ago I used to use that Yankee Meguiars stuff and really liked it ... but then I too discovered the very local 'Bowdens Own' and love it.

Not cheap but very good and getting better & better as each year passes plus they're local ! Check out their website here: http://www.bowdensown.com.au/ and be sure to look at their 'About Us' and FAQ pages if you've never heard of them before. Oh, and have a look at their car collection too. No Toyotas but pretty impressive nevertheless.

Edited by SteveAndBelle

• 1 month later...

I use Chemical Guys stuff, highly recomended on all the car detailing forums.Most profesionals dont touch Mothers etc.Once you use chemical Guys stuff you will never go back to mothers or Meguiars.

• 3 weeks later...

Bowdens Own all the way. Once i used it i stopped using anything else.

Been to bowdens Own car collection twice. Last time was for the sound tour which was the last tour they were every running on site. They are looking to set up a venue on the sunshine coast. But to be honest you will never get that personal tour feeling again

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking about getting the Mothers Clay Bar System for $39 from Supercheap (since we are sponsored by them :P), but since I read this, I might get the Meguiars Quik Clay Kit? Everyone seems to prefer Meguiars.. :whistling:

So confused..Don't know which wax to get from Meguiars..there are so many versions of wax? :blink:

Peter.

The Mothers Clay kit is superior value.

You get more clay and a wiping towel as well (on top of the Showtime Spray Detailer)

Thanks for that Andrew! I've been looking up the Mothers sponsor section and the link to their store. Prices are cheaper than supercheap but says nothing about shipping costs (unless you provide details and check out). Do you happen to know how much shipping is? Thanks in advance!

Peter.

So confused..Don't know which wax to get from Meguiars..there are so many versions of wax? :blink:

Peter.

by the looks of it, you have a white car... nxt 2.0 tends to bring out the "gloss" in white really well.. as there isnt much depth to be had in white...

ive had good experiences with gold class plus, and also m26, but always find myself going back to nxt 2.0 for its gloss and protection.

I was thinking about getting the Mothers Clay Bar System for $39 from Supercheap (since we are sponsored by them :P), but since I read this, I might get the Meguiars Quik Clay Kit? Everyone seems to prefer Meguiars.. :whistling:

Peter.

i use the separate polish and wax. this brings out the shine in the black better than the 2 in 1 polish + wax. i dont understand getting the top wax from megs? i use the normal canaubra wax and after 6 months it still shines like when i first did it. water beading is still the same. obviously swirl marks are apparent but thats what u get for washing it weekly and using it as a daily.

with a white car, you will get away with the 2 in 1 as white isn't as "showy" as the black cars.

i also find that the clay bar after claying it for the first time, isn't really needed. When i clayed my car after the initial 6 months, it didn't have many contaminants. so i might leave it for a full year to see how that goes.

parking it undercover also helps ;)

Have used the Megs but found I preferred the Bowdens Own car wash. Megs has sodium in the shampoo and not too keen on wash the car with a product that has salt in it. For polish I use the Car-lack68. Really nice polish and brings the car up good. As its synthetic tis really good for a car that spends a lot of time outside.

Edited by SirNed

i dont understand getting the top wax from megs? i use the normal canaubra wax and after 6 months it still shines like when i first did it. water beading is still the same. obviously swirl marks are apparent but thats what u get for washing it weekly and using it as a daily.

with a white car, you will get away with the 2 in 1 as white isn't as "showy" as the black cars.

i also find that the clay bar after claying it for the first time, isn't really needed. When i clayed my car after the initial 6 months, it didn't have many contaminants. so i might leave it for a full year to see how that goes.

parking it undercover also helps ;)

i can understand that there probably isnt much diff (at first glance) between the deep crystal system and something like the gold class wax.. however i think there is a big difference when you start using products like megs nxt 2.0.. i have found that using the nxt 2.0, the water doesnt so muh "bead up" as just sheet/fall off the surface...

but as with all waxes, its all in the initial prep work :)

Yeah I know there isn't much depth to white but I love it when it's hella clean!

I bought meguiars gold class wax but couldn't get the mothers clay kit 'cause there was none left. Might go to another store today.

My car is also a daily; I drive anywhere and everywhere (you know that Duy :P), it is not parked undercover so it gets dirty real quick! :( Since it's summer again and I will have more time, I thought I would start waxing again. More importantly, at least clay the car at least once! :)

Bowden's wash kit = hardcore! :blink:

Peter.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally picked up some Meg's Ultimate Wash and Wax today - have been meaning to try it ever since that great write-up Davo did on it. Whilst I can't wash the whole car here due to water restrictions I used it on the front end today to scrub off all the bugs/grime the car wash just didn't get. Must say I love it, whilst its 'sudsy' in the bucket it doesn't leave soap residue all over your car, and it has a great gloss afterwards. I'd love to do the whole car in it, better take it back North East so I can try it out lol Was getting plenty of weird looks this morning sitting there washing with a bucket!!

Also picked up Meg's new glass cloth, green in colour, and its great too - it says "no grab" formula on the packaging and thats definitely true, wiped the product off (Meg's No Smear Glass Cleaner, cos I can use it on my tinted windows) with minimum fuss and left a clean streak free window.

So I've very much been continuing my love affair with Meg's products lol Waiting for a sunny weekend now after I move so I can clay the car again.

P.S Pete, the 'rolla is looking very nice! :D

Edited by Tash

Finally picked up some Meg's Ultimate Wash and Wax today - have been meaning to try it ever since that great write-up Davo did on it. Whilst I can't wash the whole car here due to water restrictions I used it on the front end today to scrub off all the bugs/grime the car wash just didn't get. Must say I love it, whilst its 'sudsy' in the bucket it doesn't leave soap residue all over your car, and it has a great gloss afterwards. I'd love to do the whole car in it, better take it back North East so I can try it out lol Was getting plenty of weird looks this morning sitting there washing with a bucket!!

Also picked up Meg's new glass cloth, green in colour, and its great too - it says "no grab" formula on the packaging and thats definitely true, wiped the product off (Meg's No Smear Glass Cleaner, cos I can use it on my tinted windows) with minimum fuss and left a clean streak free window.

So I've very much been continuing my love affair with Meg's products lol Waiting for a sunny weekend now after I move so I can clay the car again.

P.S Pete, the 'rolla is looking very nice! :D

great to see you're enjoy the meg's products. u can get more expensive products but do not give u that same performance level in terms of the quality and value for money department.

I complete detailing jobs using all meg's products, and just to illustrate and example, i use Meg's Endurance Tyre Shine GEL - last weeks, not days (I'm no trader btw LOL). x1 bottle of 725 or 800ml?? (cant remember) has literally lasted me 2years of instense detailing, esp in the summer times where i can get 10jobs over 1.5months during weekends only. This is the one product in which i know EXACTLY how much to use per tyre, and what technique works for me so to last 20+ cars (80 tyre wall applications). This is also the only product in which i do not need to purchase in bulk. All that for $18.99RRP from your auto chain.

Do the math, i dont care what tyre shine product any1 else can get in bulk, some1 try find me a bulk capable tyre shine GEL that lasts weeks (and not days) for retail level $18.99RRP, then I'll switch lol. I noticed those cheap liquid based tyre spray dressings that claim to do up to 100 tyres, but when i try, and when i try my very hardest, they always fall short because the claim does not account for thick tyre walls on regular cars & SUVs, as well as how old the tyres are.

Anyway, having said all that, be sure with UWW (Ultimate Wash & Wax) that you use at least 3-4 cap fulls - no skimping and being scarce., fill your bucket with water FIRST then pour the solution in, so it mixes gently with the water, and not the other way round. Great product, however can save it and use regular Meg's wash solution if you're going to wax the car anyway thereafter.

Cheerio!

Edited by Wixy

• 2 weeks later...

To start, I've never actually used any of the products mentioned by all you guys. The only product I've used is FW1. An Indian convinced me to buy it from a car park at a Coles in Doncaster >.>

The finish is pretty awesome, love the shine and glow it brings out. Although, I've never seen another product's work so I can't judge anything else :P

To start, I've never actually used any of the products mentioned by all you guys. The only product I've used is FW1. An Indian convinced me to buy it from a car park at a Coles in Doncaster >.>

The finish is pretty awesome, love the shine and glow it brings out. Although, I've never seen another product's work so I can't judge anything else :P

the FW1 is no good on paint if you ask me. I would never apply it to a dirty car like the guy who tried to show me.

The FW1 is ok on tyres though, but the price of a can is too bloody expensive.

the FW1 is no good on paint if you ask me. I would never apply it to a dirty car like the guy who tried to show me.

The FW1 is ok on tyres though, but the price of a can is too bloody expensive.

I did manage to grab 2 cans for 50 bucks... haha, I might need to get onto the Meguiars/Mothers band wagon some time soon.

I did manage to grab 2 cans for 50 bucks... haha, I might need to get onto the Meguiars/Mothers band wagon some time soon.

Yeah, best price I could get from them as well. Tried to get him to throw in a microfibre towel but he said that was the best he could do.

Oh well, I have dedicated wheel cloths anyway so it doesn't really matter.

Two mothers products that I tested at the mothers detailing day in Sydney

a240e79d.jpga13f919f.jpg

Mothers Foaming All Wheel and Tyre Cleaner

579dbceb.jpgc27a7222.jpg

Mothers Naturally Black - from faded to awesome :yahoo:

518d4e32.jpgae537922.jpg

Mothers Tyre Shine - use an applicator pad to apply the product, rather that spraying directly on the Tyre.

Just 3 awesome products by Mothers.

Also, Andrew357, the Mothers Sealer / Glaze is an awesome product and works really well on dark coloured cars. If you want to add a good wax to it, try Reflections Top Coat (red cylinder bottle). If you have a light coloured car, use Mothers Syn Wax (which dries clear :) )

All 3 products don't need to be worked hard to get a awesome finish :yahoo: