Meguiars VS Mothers VS Others

-DAvo

What Car care product brand do you prefer?  

98 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Is it just me, or is Megs Ultimate Compound incredibly difficult to remove?

i find it acctually pretty easy to remove..

are you using good quality microfibers?

are you working the product long enough? or perhaps too long?

what is your working area size?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Using some Meguiars microfibre buffing towels, area size n more than 1/2 a bonnet.

Not working the product very long though truth to tell, not very long at all.

Is it just me, or is Megs Ultimate Compound incredibly difficult to remove?

i find it acctually pretty easy to remove..

are you using good quality microfibers?

are you working the product long enough? or perhaps too long?

what is your working area size?

Well I noticed that where I used it (on the bootlid so it's harder to notice) that I had some bad cobwebbing so I thought I'd give it a whirl again.

I worked the product in much longer and finished with vertical strokes and it seems to have done the trick. It was easy to remove and the cobwebbing is gone, finish is clear under epic sunlight on different angles but deeper scratches still remain.

Yeah, im glad it worked out for you mate :) sometimes with the deeper scratches, you have to ask yourself if its worth flattening the surrounding paint to level it out or call it a day and rely in the fill effect of a suitable polish..

Hmm, can I interrupt and ask what the Autoglym 'equivalent' to the Meguiar's Ultimate Compound is?

Alf

Dont think they have anything as agressive tbh... I know ag have a "paint rejuvinator" in their line up, and also a HD cleanet polish... IMO if your doing paint correction then meguiars is the way to go.. They offer products that range from very very mild ( swirlX / M205 ) to pretty agressive ( ultimate comp / M105 )

• 3 weeks later...

-DAvo help please :help:

Looking at your ridiculously clean car with great pics,well done by the way.... I'm a Meguiars fan. Used to wash with Armour All car wash, laugh if you will but was awesome and ran out ages ago, then Mothers wash which I ended up with but has no suds, hmm I don't like that, anyway then a clay once a year and NXT 2.0 prob twice and to be honest the car looks a million bucks.. So what about polish? or does it have another name also?

In what order would I do the two? Autoglym interests me and any pics possible of products, what to use/buy?

Excuse the questions and I know there are threads somewhere else on products and tips but i'm here now :D

Thanks

John

-DAvo help please :help:

Looking at your ridiculously clean car with great pics,well done by the way.... I'm a Meguiars fan. Used to wash with Armour All car wash, laugh if you will but was awesome and ran out ages ago, then Mothers wash which I ended up with but has no suds, hmm I don't like that, anyway then a clay once a year and NXT 2.0 prob twice and to be honest the car looks a million bucks.. So what about polish? or does it have another name also?

In what order would I do the two? Autoglym interests me and any pics possible of products, what to use/buy?

Excuse the questions and I know there are threads somewhere else on products and tips but i'm here now :D

Thanks

John

Hi John

thanks for the kind words mate..

to answer your question, as to what to use for a polish; NXT 2.0 acctually has mild (and i mean MILD) cleaners built into it.. meaning that providing your clearcoat is in pretty good nick, then a clay and NXT 2.0 should be all you need. TBH Meguiars dont really have anything in the consumer line apart from the deep crystal step 2 polish.. in which case, from my experience, you yeild nicer results from using the Mothers Step 2 "Sealer and glaze"...

NXT 2.0 is still a very good LSP, but to get the most out of it, i believe you need to back it up with a regular (every 2nd wash) meguiars ultimate quik wax. this will help extend the protection given by NXT 2.0

the ORDER in which you would do this is

1. wash

2. clay

3. polish/cleaner

4. wax/sealent

however, if you wanted to go down the autoglym road (its a hard road to turn down, but once your on it - its smoooooth sailing)

i would suggest you get onto the Super Resin Polish & Extra Gloss Protectant regime.

SRP is a great product by itself.. it both cleans and protects in one step, and is easy as to use... downside? it does dust up a bit..

when you add EGP, you take it to the next level... wet looks, long durability... at the cost of being slightly more difficult to work with... you really have to apply it evenly, and leave it alone for a good 2-3 hours (depending on ambient temps) to fully set up on your clearcoat and buff off with a good quality microfibre.

hope this helps mate.

btw

a good wash shampoo if you are looking for one, Meguiars Ultimate wash and wax.. havent found anything out there to date which works as well...

(have used gold class, nxt shampoo,meguiuars softwash, mother california gold, autoglym shampoo, and randoms on my previous car)

Excellent, yes it really helps, will be looking into the Autoglym range this weekend.. What I love about Meguiars is that it dries clear, thats a win in my books...

I will go shopping and follow your procedure DAvo, once again it's greatly appreciated... :) :)

Upon discussion with John, i think ill try this out too, i just cant get past the finish on your car Davo.. its so impressive seeing a flat colour like white or silver with such luster! Bloody shops shut tomorrow, dont they know there are two impulsive guys needing to buy these products??

looks like Davo has got TOCAU hooked on his autoglym method, because I bought super resin polish earlier today :D

haha yes he has, can't believe how white can look that brilliant, silver should be just as awesome then..

Yes Dutchie how inconsiderate, don't they know we have work to do :lol:

LOL thanks for the mention fellas! There is nothing i enjoy seeing more than a nicely polished car... and i reeally peeves me to see nice beautiful cars with poora$$ paintjobs/careless owners who dont look after their car properly.. remember seeing a black 2010 BMW M3 with swirlmarks EVERYWHERE... i died a little inside that day :(

just for your reference.. tash asked a really good question today regarding using a 3rd party wax inbetween SRP and EGP.. have inc the convo below for everyones reference..

Hi Tash,

You're correct in all accounts, apart from the extra wax step after EGP. EGP will act as your last layer of protection-and gloss enhancer. The SRP itself is acctually a one-step cleaner/protectant so even if you want to stop at the SRP you still get pretty good results with decent protection lifespan.. on par with goldclass plus id say. the EGP just makes the paint look that much wetter and lasts a lot lot longer.

if you're feeling OCD (silly question of me to ask, sheesh~!) you can even add in a isopropyl wipedown after you claybar ;)

Thanks for the comments everyone! Im pretty much done for outside mods on my car.. apart from sorting out the grille which will happen after easter. time to move onto more practical mods (and also saving for our wedding!)

:) :)

Ahh, very very clever then :D I'd definitely want to follow up with EGP then - especially if they are the results!! I like the idea of it being the last layer of protection but could you still layer it like you would with wax? Or would you not bother? Could you say use a normal meg's wax after the SRP and then put EGP on top of 2-3 layers of that?? Although if the EGP is lasting a lot longer it sounds like you don't need to layer it at all and could just maintain it by using something like Ultimate Quik Detailer/Quik Wax.

Lol, I am planning a pretty OCD car treatment soon, even going to hire one of those carpet steam cleaners and do all my upholstery :rolleyes: (still yet to find an interior upholstery cleaner that I like). I have never done an isopropyl wipedown before, what materials are needed to do that? Just the wipes or getting a product of it and applying with microfibre??

Congratulations on the wedding! :D Have you set a date yet? The outside of the car looks fantastic so definitely nowhere else to go there ;)

Hi Tash,

Thanks! yeah we have, March 25 2012 is the big day :)

just when i said theres nothing else to be done, some lady rear ended me today in her land cruiser :( so will be getting a rear end respray LOL oh well.. thats life and at least the damage isnt too bad! i will still keep up with my cleaning schdule even thou my car has a blemish on its bum :P

anyway to answer your question.. EGP is acctually ideal to "layer" as it does not contain any cleaning agents at all. so technically speaking, a 2nd layer will not eat into the existing layer.. i would however allow for the 24hr cure time to make sure the sealant is fully set up.

in terms of adding a 3rd party wax inbetween SRP and EGP.. TBH i would not recommend it. reason being you cant guarentee that the EGP will bond properly to the 3rd party wax.. in doing some in depth research in autoglym.. you see that SRP and EGP are acctually designed to work in conjunction with each other.. so the surface SRP leaves you with is ideal for EGP to bond with. helpiing prolong its durability... they dont even recommend topping EGP with their premium HD wax! If i were you i would do SRP, and 2 layers of EGP. that would yeid the best and longest lasting results.. i think going to 3 layers would prob yeild no difference compared to 2..

i have even stopped using Ultimate quik wax on a regular basis.. i mainly use it on my wheels now! but i will use it maybe once just the week before i reapply EGP..

as for the ISOPROPYL wipedown.. you can buy the stuff from bunnings in the paint section.. if you buy a 70% isopropyl solution you just apply it as you would a spray detailer... it comes in a spray bottle.. but i normally buy it in big industrial size containers (use it a fair bit at work) and fill up a smaller spray bottle. it basically acts to strip all existsing wax/polish from your car body.. bringing you back to clearcoat only.. this allows you to see all defects in the paint and give your new polish a fresh surface to work on that the claybar could not remove.

have fun with your mega clean! sounds like fun!! :)

Davo, just a quick question... after Super Resin Polish & Extra Gloss Protectant, would Megs quick detailer still be OK to use for quick wipe downs? or would you opt for AutoGlym's Rapid detailer? I assume they are similar, i just dont want to damage my EGP once its down...

Ive got about 1/2 bottle left of the Megs QD, ao just wondering if youve tried the AG RD?

http://www.carcareproducts.com.au/product/autoglym/rapid_detailer

Thanks for your assistance

Davo, just a quick question... after Super Resin Polish & Extra Gloss Protectant, would Megs quick detailer still be OK to use for quick wipe downs? or would you opt for AutoGlym's Rapid detailer? I assume they are similar, i just dont want to damage my EGP once its down...

Ive got about 1/2 bottle left of the Megs QD, ao just wondering if youve tried the AG RD?

http://www.carcareproducts.com.au/product/autoglym/rapid_detailer

Thanks for your assistance

hey mate

i wouldnt think it to be a problem.. once the EGP has cured it should withstand the detailer.. ive been using megs ultimate quik wax over the egp about once a month.. dosent seem to upset it much.. if you are wiping it down without cleaning the car, i would strongly recommend ultimate quik detailer.. as its designed to be used to lift dust and MINOR dirt safely from your paint..

cant say ive had experience with the rapid detailer.. so cant comment on that... interested to give it a shot thou!

(my results are based on a twice a week washing regime with meguiars ultimate wash and wax)

hope that helps mate :)

Answering my own question here, AutoGlym Super Resin Polish doesnt require old waxes to be removed (ie isopropanol), it contains its own cleaners. Saying that, it wouldnt hurt using isopropanol anyways.

Answering my own question here, AutoGlym Super Resin Polish doesnt require old waxes to be removed (ie isopropanol), it contains its own cleaners. Saying that, it wouldnt hurt using isopropanol anyways.

That's good to know, so if I'm feeling lazy/time poor, can just clay, hit it with SRP and then hit it with EGP :) Although I have Meg's Ultimate Polish to try next time I'm due for a full clean, probably later this month. Actually, definitely later this month, just waiting to see if I can still make it to the annual - fingers crossed, have applied for another job so depends if I get that, will they let me take some paid holiday time :)

Re Isoprop, Davo, you using the 70% or diluting it to 50%?

Spray on, wipe off, then hose down?

hey mate

sorry i didnt see this until now, been pretty flat out :(

to answer ur question, i use the 70% stuff as we get it by the gallon at work so i just top up my spray bottle each time i need to..

i only ever really use the iso wipe down a few times a year anyway.. as its part of my "mega detail"

btw, ordered some rapid detailer.. and will try out AG Aqua wax in place of Megs Ultimate quik wax... will post results when i have them..

5687240498_ac716a7889.jpg

Looks like Davo has some competition... :P

Just a picture i found from minkara, its a wax or polish called Vin?

lovely reflection!!! :) and its not a comp. i love seeing more and more clean and swirl free cars! yay!

After a wash and dry, i hit the LS with Megs ultimate quik detailer as Davo mentioned. Wow, beautiful finish and the LS hasnt had a polish or wax since i have owned it, only a clay last week. I had 3 people in one night comment on the shine... thats impressing!

Thanks Davo :)

Will do the full AutoGlym system when i have some more time to spend on it..

After a wash and dry, i hit the LS with Megs ultimate quik detailer as Davo mentioned. Wow, beautiful finish and the LS hasnt had a polish or wax since i have owned it, only a clay last week. I had 3 people in one night comment on the shine... thats impressing!

Thanks Davo :)

Will do the full AutoGlym system when i have some more time to spend on it..

good stuff mate :) i had the opportunity to try out autoglym's Aqua wax.. first impressions: love it! will be a perfect inbetweener!

full write up coming soon :)