Oil consumption V8 Turbo Diesel

kschoelpple

Standard procedure Roverts. You check it after every service and you will find the same, or larger, over filling. It helps them prevent "excessive" oil use.

And the manual tells you not to overfill with oil because it may cause engine damage.

Go figure - as the septic tanks would say!

Just had a service done on the 2010 v8 diesel 20,000klms and noticed that the sump is over filled by about 5ml....is this their remedy for the oil consumption problem.

Hi mine has been overfilled by 10 to 15 mm at times its just their way of covering up the issue or total incompetence by the mechanic by overfilling it.

I suspect the former and its a cover up tactic but its a well known problem by almost all TTD owners.

But i still believe that Toyota will remedy all the effected vehicles in their own time :( only problem is a lot of other ppl are hearing about this and i cop a lot of flack about the 200 being an oil burner and not the diesel oil .

Ive coped the snide remark of have you filled the oil and topped your diesel up lately :( mainly pootrol owners of course :( :spiteful: obviously after spending 130k so far on my Sahara with accessories it does hurt a bit but i like the car its great so ill just block the snide remarks out the best i can . :whistling:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all just found the site and looks great.

Ok now down to the issue you have been discussing about the LC200 using oil. I have been fighting with Toyota for over 2 years about this issue and mine is suppose to be the worse in WA using around 600ml per 1,000 last time I got Toyota to add oil. Toyota are about to tell everyone that oil consumption is normal from 1 litre per 8,000klm normal driving but if you do the speed limit, or tow something regardless of weight, or drive to slow using 4wd then TOYOTA are calling this and I quote their "Dealer Hand Out January 2011" "Severe Conditions". This then means that YOU may have to pay for the oil which you could use 1 litre every 5,000klm.

So guys it looks like Toyota don't still have a fix and hundreds of us hard working Ozzies have been done by buying this model at this stage. Don't get me wrong I love mine it out performs everything in 4wd land, but at what cost to the motor which uses truck loads of oil.....and WHY??

Hopefully all those that have had problems will make a post at my site which I have started because of the arrogance of Toyota to fob me and hundreds of others off. In the next week or two some annoyamous person has said they will "secretly" e-mail me the internal memo from Toyota....that will be interesting to read and I will post it up for all to see if I get it?

Anyway hopefully "Admin" here will give me a genuine go and leave my post I have read the terms and I have not breached any membership issues that I am aware of?

If anyone wants to contact me direct email me (yes it's actually real) ohwhatalemon@hotmail.com or see the site I made at www.ohwhatalemon.com

Thanks for reading and I hope for all our sakes we have not bought a LC200 LEMON?? Regards Geoff

Has anyone else got unusual high oil consumption with their V8 Turbo Diesel, or is it just me ?? :(

Within a few weeks after delivery I noticed my new GXL Wagon was using oil. Not just a bit, but 1.4L in the first month alone ! (about 4000km). Now, 4 month later, my 4WD is undergoing yet another oil consumption test at my local Toyota Service Centre. It appears it is mostly obvious after driving long hill climbs. (i.e. Blue Mountains, Snowy Mountains). Just topped oil up again, this time with 1.1 L just after 3000km.

Finally heard today (3rd. party) that this is internally known within Toyota, but yet nothing done about it! :unsure:

Anyone else with information or similar experience ?

• 6 months later...

Hello Everyone,

well, it's hard to believe, but the oil consumption has stopped ! :clap:

Earlier this year my car mechanic changed the supplier of his engine oil. Shortly after a service which I had done, the oil consumption dropped off. Wasn't sure at first, but even now, 6 months after, the engine hardly uses any oil.

My understanding is the oil still confirms to Toyota's specifications, it's just that the manufacturer of the oil is different.

I guess you want to know what brand it is?

Well, at that stage he was using "Hi-Tec" oils. However, for some reason he recently changed to "Gulf Western". I have done about 4,000km with that oil and it seems also to be fine. In total I traveled 24,000km since the problem stopped.

I guess perhaps the whole thing is just coincidence and the engine just needed all that time to "wear in". But about 40,000km to wear in seems to be very unusual.

Anyway, at this stage the problem seems to be gone and I hope that others with the same problem might find this information helpful.

Happy and safe driving

Karl S.

Mine used (about) 8 litres between 10,000 and 20,000KM

Since then, it settled down and uses about 1 Litre every 10,000KM (I am up to 80,000KM).

I have heard numerous stories similar to mine - where after (about) 20/30,000KM, things settled down.

There is a possibility that Toyota dealership did something without telling me, that rectified the oil usage, but I doubt that, as I have a pretty good relationship with my local Toyota dealership.

[Mine is exposed to and has been doing (what Toyota considered to be) extreme conditions.]

Good luck with those still experiencing excessive oil consumption

Regards, Geoff

LC200 GXL TTD Dec 2008 - built for off road.

• 4 weeks later...

Regrettably, this is a very common problem with the LC200 diesels. I bought mine with 65000k on the clock and yes, it uses oil. The dealer acknowledges this as excessive and so does Toyota, but mine is out of warranty so I will probably foot the bill. The problem is in the scavenge pump, a seal or something, and most were fixed for free. They looked at oil pump and it did not have the "white dot" on the pump so it had missed out on the modification! I am still waiting for my dealer to "get back to me" after contacting Toyota warrany assist. Good luck with yours.

PS. I just love the truck and don't mind pouring in a litre of oil now and again! Small price to pay for an awesome truck.

• 4 weeks later...

I work for SWEPCO Australia and we sell 'high performance' lubricants that the average motorist will not come across unless they drive a Mack Truck or a High Performance Racing Car! I am not trying to sell my product here but I could not keep silent after having this same discussion with one of my best customers that runs a trucking and logistics company. He runs our lubricants in his trucks & trailers etc. He has just bought a V8 Turbo Diesel GXL Wagon and noticed the unusual oil consumption after just a few thousand km. And as I'm reading... no joy with the Toyota Dealer either. Everytime I visit to drop off lubricant for his trucking business I'm hearing him tell me the same story, to the point that he is carrying around 5lts of oil in the back of the wagon! I suggested that he try topping up SWEPCO 306 Supreme Formula Engine Oil and he's had some success... he's using less and less as more and more 306 goes in :clap: ... cheaper oils (even OEM spec'd oil) were evaporating / vapourising because the V8 Turbo Diesel engine runs hot.

My link

But it is an oil quality problem as other people have already identified. If I can help anyone or if anyone wants to check the product out i.e. Tech Data Sheets etc, I'm happy to be contacted.

• 3 weeks later...

I work for SWEPCO Australia and we sell 'high performance' lubricants that the average motorist will not come across unless they drive a Mack Truck or a High Performance Racing Car! I am not trying to sell my product here but I could not keep silent after having this same discussion with one of my best customers that runs a trucking and logistics company. He runs our lubricants in his trucks & trailers etc. He has just bought a V8 Turbo Diesel GXL Wagon and noticed the unusual oil consumption after just a few thousand km. And as I'm reading... no joy with the Toyota Dealer either. Everytime I visit to drop off lubricant for his trucking business I'm hearing him tell me the same story, to the point that he is carrying around 5lts of oil in the back of the wagon! I suggested that he try topping up SWEPCO 306 Supreme Formula Engine Oil and he's had some success... he's using less and less as more and more 306 goes in :clap: ... cheaper oils (even OEM spec'd oil) were evaporating / vapourising because the V8 Turbo Diesel engine runs hot.

My link

But it is an oil quality problem as other people have already identified. If I can help anyone or if anyone wants to check the product out i.e. Tech Data Sheets etc, I'm happy to be contacted.

Its looking like an oil quality problem as opposed to an engine problem have several friends who now run http://www.penriteoil.com.au/products/motor-oil/hpr/hpr_diesel_15 and so far all 3 after 10,000 have used under 3mm on the dip stick :) :clap: im changing over to this next service too hopefully ill be #4 of us not using oil will know soon enough :)

• 4 months later...

I too have changed to Penrite HPR Diesel and have had no problems at all,I use 9 litres exactly (with filter change) and its right on the mark.

Some dealerships dont put diesel oil in diesels they use castrol edge sport synthetic.

Really dumb !

• 1 month later...

So far good news to report oil changed over 7000k ago so far just under 1mm drop on dip stick by now the oil my service center was using the light would have been on and oil topped up

im sticking with penrite from now on :)

• 2 years later...

Hello everyone,

I've noticed my topic is still making for "interesting reading" after all this time.

Just as a quick update: My remark about using special high temperature grade oil seems to have hit the right spot. Have now over 155,000 km on my Toyota and ever since changing to this type of oil no problems anymore. (I'm using Gulf Western).

Happy and safe driving.

Karl

• 6 months later...

Hi Guys

I will try again, I have a 2008 VDJ79R cruiser billows out smoke at every set of lights, back pressure in the sump is very excessive, I have read about problems with the Vacuum pump that causes the excessive oil consumption? and about a faulty Scavenge pump that causes the excessive oil consumption, is there any fix to these problems or is it still up in the air?

has anyone had any success with resolving the oil usage problems if so what was the fix?

Is it a faulty Scavenge pump if so what was the problem?

or is it a faulty Vac pump if so what was the problem? or both??

any help will be much appreciated to point me in the right direction.

Thanks

frog2

• 1 month later...

Well guys its a few years down the track now still using penrite HPR Diesel no oil consumption issues sice changing to penrite :clap: max loss is 3mm on dip stick over 10,000k,s thats around 300ml

Im so happy with the 200 im keeping it long term :toast:

yep same as above basically - my 76 used a little oil in one service but I think you'll find if you make a fuss about it with Toyota they will offer you "the special oil" - no I kid you not....

when quizzed about "the special oil" I am told that for an additional $145 they will put "the special oil" in which will remove any consumption issues completely..... what awesome magic these service people do have...

so far Toyota has used a different oil every service:-

Castrol Magnatec 10-40

Valvoline - unknown (they couldn't tell me...)

Caltex - unknown (they couldn't tell me)

cant wait to get it out of warranty so I can use the correct oil & I too will go to Penrite as I hear good reports all over

as they say "oh what a feeling"

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Darrell,

have read of your manual where it says you can use 5W-30, 10W-40, 15W-50 depending on operating conditions etc

for the full list of lub's for your car go to the Penrite website & use "the lube guide" = www.datateck.com.au/lube/PenriteAus/

its shown under "products" - "product selector"

consider the load - towing, temp etc when you make your choice but most would go for the HPR Diesel 10 SAE 10W-40

hope that helps

Rgds

G.

• Like 1

Thanks G for the reply what I would like to know is which HPR are the guys using that reported a improvement in there oil consumption, there are several variants to the HPR guide on the Penrite website.

Cheers

• 7 months later...

I worked at a major toyota dealership for the last 3 years- the standard oil they use in ALL oil changes was from a bulk 1000l drum that fed all the overhead pumps- petrol/diesel/lpg- they all got fed the same oil...

and most of the `mechanics' weren't either- most were taught by rote- only the `senior techs' were actually mechanics or auto elecs (according to trade) all others were (imho) just capable of telling a screwdriver from a spanner, taught just enough to fit stuff by `monkey see, monkey do' type training

Note not ALL toyota dealerships were as bad as where I worked- but a good percentage certainly were

It could explain why some people had the issues and others didn't

Certainly I am unimpressed with the newer commonrail diesels- good fuel economy but the maintenance $$ ouch

Its why I want to find out about retrofitting a 4.2 turbo diesel into a almost new 2013 troopy- due to `contacts' I can get it less than 90k with blown (as usual)v8 turbo diesel for a grand

its not what you know but who you know ;-)

(and the number of the v8 diesels- both single and twin turbo) we got as warranty replacements every week is why I want to retro the good old, solid as a rock 4.2 into one...

edit:fix mistakes

Edited by dap

• 4 years later...

Reading the comments about oil usage.  I own a Ford Ranger (3.2), a Nissan Patrol (4.2) an old FJ45 Toyota, an Audi Q5 (3.0), a Pajero (3.2) and have had a Navara (3.0),  various falcons and commodores and currently have a Case dozer, Samsung excavator and 4WD tractor.  Apart from the Commodores and falcons, all the others use diesel fuel and run on 15/40 oil.  None have used anything like the amount of oil described in the 4.5 V8 landcruiser. In the past I have found oil consumption overuse to be due to too large a gap in the ring lands on the pistons, poor quality oil control rings, or glazed bores, apart from obvious wear such as valve stems seals, worn rings etc from old engines.  Dealers and manufacturers are not going to admit that piston ring lands are at fault as it would mean pulling down the engine and fitting new pistons and rings, a very expensive and prohibitive cost  for the company. It is easier for any company to blame it on the oil, the gaskets, the vacuum pump etc etc etc, rather than admit the real cause, as its too expensive.  Commodore v8s had a similar problem with the 5.7 when it came out in late 2001?  It seems to have been the ring lands in the pistons.  They rectified it with better quality pistons and rings after the problem became obvious. ( I bought a 6.0 SS and it was perfect in every way.)  I think there is a similar problem here, but company's won't admit it.  Hope the problem has been fixed in post 2010 models.  I would like to buy a Landcruiser again (I had a 100 with 4.2-great car, no oil usage), but need to find out if the problem is now fixed or if it was still evident in later models.  Does anyone know when it was fixed, and if it was please? John