Engine oil on dipstick stays clean forever

Applegarth

My 2007 Camry Altise never shows any discoloration of the oil on the dipstick

Whereas on changing the oil and filter the oil is quite black

For some reason the sump oil is not mixing with the oil in the dipstick tube

Anyone else experienced this with the four cylinder Camry ?

this is just your imagination. when you remove the oil dipstick, it's only a thin film covering the tip, so it is more transparent and appears cleaner.

likewise, think of the ocean. in some parts (shallow parts) its clear, yet in the deeper parts its dark and you cant see ****.

and its impossible for the oil in the dipstick tube to not mix with the sump oil. the tip of the dipstick goes into the oil sump pan.

The dipstick is primarily there to ensure your oil level is correct..

Edited by Topdog

this is just your imagination. when you remove the oil dipstick, it's only a thin film covering the tip, so it is more transparent and appears cleaner.

likewise, think of the ocean. in some parts (shallow parts) its clear, yet in the deeper parts its dark and you cant see ****.

and its impossible for the oil in the dipstick tube to not mix with the sump oil. the tip of the dipstick goes into the oil sump pan.

No, it's not imagination !

I have owned seventeen cars in my lifetime and I know what I'm talking about

I've also used many company cars and government cars, like most people who's careers involve copious amounts of travel by car I am very experienced with the maintenance of motor vehicles

I reiterate, My 2007 Camry Altruist 'never' shows any discoloration of the oil on the dipstick

Want to prove that it's not just a thin film of oil that's causing it to look like it's not dirty?

1) Get a clean white cloth and wipe the oil from the dipstick onto it. You will find that it's not as clean as it looks.

2) If you're really anal, get a long tube and stick it down the distick tube to about where the dipstick sits. Using a syringe, draw a few mL of oil out and look at it's colour. I think you will be surprised.

Want to prove that it's not just a thin film of oil that's causing it to look like it's not dirty?

1) Get a clean white cloth and wipe the oil from the dipstick onto it. You will find that it's not as clean as it looks.

Correct. When I pull my dip stick out its clean. But when I wipe it with a white tissue the oil on the white tissue is darker then on the dip stick and you can see the black oil particles.

No, it's not imagination !

I have owned seventeen cars in my lifetime and I know what I'm talking about

I've also used many company cars and government cars, like most people who's careers involve copious amounts of travel by car I am very experienced with the maintenance of motor vehicles

I reiterate, My 2007 Camry Altruist 'never' shows any discoloration of the oil on the dipstick

sorry mate... but as it was said before... The dipstick checks the level of the oil IN THE SUMP! so yes, it is your imagination.

I have a 2009 Camry and my experience is the oil discolours (ie goes from near transparent honey texture) to thick and brown/black due to dirt as the Km's pile on.

To the original message poster: perhaps you have used a really good quality oil that is suffering only minmal wear & tear? Good luck to you, I say.

Remember, the 9 month servicing period is a crock. Got to get oil changed every 5,000 kms or 6 months.