2010 Levin ZR Headlight Modding ?

Don't have my Levin yet but know it's got HID low beam projectors as standard. Just wondering if anyone knows what colour temp they are ? I'm guessing 4300 but I'd like them to be 6000 as I've had them before and love the clarity they provide. Can the standard HID bulbs be replaced easily or are they hardwired to the Toyota ballasts ??

On a similar topic I'd like to replace the High beam halogens with HIDs (as I've done with both of my current cars, illegally I know). Anyone know what type of bulb the high beams are in the 2010 Levin ZR ?

... and while I'm here I may as well ask if anyone knows what type of bulb the 2010 Levin ZR uses for its front parkers & indicators too as I want to LEDify them and would like to get them sorted so I can do the changeover as soon as I get the car.

Anyone ... anyone ... Bueller ??

Don't have my Levin yet but know it's got HID low beam projectors as standard. Just wondering if anyone knows what colour temp they are ? I'm guessing 4300 but I'd like them to be 6000 as I've had them before and love the clarity they provide. Can the standard HID bulbs be replaced easily or are they hardwired to the Toyota ballasts ??

On a similar topic I'd like to replace the High beam halogens with HIDs (as I've done with both of my current cars, illegally I know). Anyone know what type of bulb the high beams are in the 2010 Levin ZR ?

... and while I'm here I may as well ask if anyone knows what type of bulb the 2010 Levin ZR uses for its front parkers & indicators too as I want to LEDify them and would like to get them sorted so I can do the changeover as soon as I get the car.

Anyone ... anyone ... Bueller ??

Factory HID will always be 4300K. And they will be replaceable.

Parkers will always be T10, front indicators will be PY21W (BAU15S).

Edited by Kenneth.

Factory HID will always be 4300K. And they will be replaceable.

I think the ZRE HiBeam is H11 (but someone needs to confirm that).

Parkers will always be T10, front indicators will be PY21W.

Great, thanks Kenneth. So if factory fitted HIDs are replaceable do they have their own model numbers and if so what would they be for the Levin ZRs low beams ? I've only ever had experience with retro-fitting HIDs to older cars that's all.

Anyone confirm the ZRE High Beams are in fact H11 ?

Oh ... and what about the driving lights too, anyone know what type of bulb they use ??

Sorry for all the questions ;)

When you say driving lights are you referring to the fog lights? If so, then the foglights are H11.

Edited by Kenneth.

Oh ... and what about the driving lights too, anyone know what type of bulb they use ??

Sorry for all the questions ;)

hey Steve, the low beam projectors are a factory 4300k hid, I've tried a bulb swap on the oem bulbs to a aftermarket 6000k, all I can say is it won't work I've tried it will only turn on for about 5 seconds and they will cut out, the factory ballasts are made from denso and support only the Phillips oem globes, you will need to replace the bulb and ballast if you want 6000k low beam. As our factory hid's come out from the Lexus IS250.

But here are the bulb types:

projector low beam: D4S

high beam: HB3/9005

foglights: H11

parkers and licence plates: T10

front indicators: BAU15S (offset pins)

pm me for more info if your after more details on the headlights

Edited by flipsta24

Haha, there you go.. I was wrong for most of them, luckily Charlie confirmed them.. =P

I've edited my posts to remove the misleading information.. sorry about that.

On the other hand.. since Charlie has said they won't work with aftermarket bulbs, then you should be OK as you only want 6000K bulbs. Check out the Philips Ultinon 6000K D4S HID bulbs from Japan.. ;)

Edited by Kenneth.

Haha, there you go.. I was wrong for most of them, luckily Charlie confirmed them.. =P

lol all good Kenneth, I just remebered it all when I did the black headlight mod, man that was a pain haha

lol all good Kenneth, I just remebered it all when I did the black headlight mod, man that was a pain haha

Ha, yeah no worries Kenneth, you were nearly there ;)

Charlie, what can I say ?! Brilliant. That's everything I need however I just had an email from a mate of mine with a bog standard pre-facelift Ascent and he says the High Beam Halogens in his are HB3. Odd. Strange they would change the type from model to model.

So you're saying I can't even replace the low beam HIDs with generic replacements found on eBay like these: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380249146430 ? There are others that are about half the price too but it's sounding like I might have to go for the Philips OEMs.

Regarding the 'Fog Lights' though, I see you've changed them over to HID but how effective are they ? Do they actually add to the light throw or are they just to be seen ? I really wasn't expecting to see much with them and was thinking of just replacing the bulbs with LEDs just so oncoming drivers can see me even betterer.

Thanks for all the info so far.

I remember reading on a few Lexus forums that the Garax bulbs are good and work. Anyone confirm this?

I can confirm i read a topic on the Lexus forum as well, and at the time i was thinking that the IS250 would have the same bulbs as most Toyota's

I then i go to the Garax website with the link to the IS250 6000K bulbs but they read D4C, but i am going to assume that the D4C and D4S are one in the same bulb.

Anyways the ZR i have access to just got a warranty replacement on both bulbs @ about 33 months, so will wait till the next time they go out before replacing them with some aftermarket bulbs.

Ha, yeah no worries Kenneth, you were nearly there ;)

Charlie, what can I say ?! Brilliant. That's everything I need however I just had an email from a mate of mine with a bog standard pre-facelift Ascent and he says the High Beam Halogens in his are HB3. Odd. Strange they would change the type from model to model.

So you're saying I can't even replace the low beam HIDs with generic replacements found on eBay like these: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380249146430 ? There are others that are about half the price too but it's sounding like I might have to go for the Philips OEMs.

Regarding the 'Fog Lights' though, I see you've changed them over to HID but how effective are they ? Do they actually add to the light throw or are they just to be seen ? I really wasn't expecting to see much with them and was thinking of just replacing the bulbs with LEDs just so oncoming drivers can see me even betterer.

Thanks for all the info so far.

I could be wrong it may be HB3, so long as it's the 9005 socket it should fit. I'm running 3000k hid's in my foglights ATM and I find em very helpful in the early morning fog nice and bright and also cuts through the rain real good aswell, I've got a set of H11 LEDs yet to try but for now I'll stick with my hid's for this colder weather might swap them to the LEDs in the warmer months when there is less fog around.

As for the generic hid's you can replace them you will just need to remove the factory ballast and unplug it from the connector hidden under neath, but there is cutting involved which I wouldn't recommend as your car will still be under warranty, because to remove the factory ballst the plug that goes behind the bulb runs inside the headlamp unit itself and you will need to cut the wires just to take them out. I will pm you later tonight when I finish work and explain it to you

"

JDM 6000K 8000K 10000K 12000K Garax D4S or D4R HID Xenon Upgrade Bulbs

Introduction

This page features a pair of High Quality Genuine Japan Imported Garax 6000K, 8000K, 10000K or 12000K Mercury-Free JDM D4C (aka D4S or D4R) HID upgrading bulbs for OEM HID equipped vehicles such as Lexus or Toyota.

Unlike other sellers' cheap Chinese knock-off retrofit D4S/D4R bulbs converted from regular D2S/D2R bulbs, our JDM D4C HID bulbs are genuine Mercury-Free D4 bulbs using genuine Philips Burners.

Those Chinese knock-off retrofit D4S/D4R from D2S/D2R bulbs will burn out quick because genuine D4S/D4R HID bulbs are working under a higher 43V ballast comparing with regular D2S/D2R's 36V ballast.

The color temperature on OEM HID equipped vehicles are just 4300K, which they look yellowish and the lighting is not intense at all. After replacing the stock 4300K D4S or D4R bulbs with the JDM D4S or D4R bulbs, it will get rid of the yellowish look. The color temperature of the JDM bulbs will emit a Ultra White (6000K), Brilliant bluish (8000K), Deep Blue (10000K) or Light Purple (12000K)

It is perfect for customers who are looking for the better performance and exotic looking light output for their loved vehicles.

These Mercury-Free JDM D4C HID upgrading bulbs are precisely assembled by GARAX Inc. from Japan in order to maintain exact focus point and consistency. This will make sure the beam pattern will be the same as the stock 4300K D4S or D4R bulbs.

Don't settle with those knock-off Chinese D2S/D2R converted D4S/D4R bulbs. Our HID bulbs will ensure you with the highest quality, best performance and longest lasting.

Package

A pair of JDM 6000K Ultra White, 8000K Brilliant Blue, 10000K Deep Blue or 12000K Light Purple D4S or D4R HID upgrading bulbs."- ijdmtoy.com

So yep, they are tha same, and should work fine. Im willing to guinea pig em for the price.

confirmed it is HB3/9005.....sorry i was using my iphone today at work and did a typo, i also couldnt view the full message, but that ebay link you put up those bulbs should be fine, i couldnt open the link on my phone as it took forever to load up, but those generic bulbs should work, i assumed you were talking about the cheap bulb replacements you get with the cheap HID kits, sorry for misunderstanding, i really dont like viewing long msg's on the iphone...it's just absolutely crap especially when your also trying to type a msg lol

confirmed it is HB3/9005.....sorry i was using my iphone today at work and did a typo, i also couldnt view the full message, but that ebay link you put up those bulbs should be fine, i couldnt open the link on my phone as it took forever to load up, but those generic bulbs should work, i assumed you were talking about the cheap bulb replacements you get with the cheap HID kits, sorry for misunderstanding, i really dont like viewing long msg's on the iphone...it's just absolutely crap especially when your also trying to type a msg lol

It's no problem on an Android (oooh, SNAP) Just kidding (well, sort of). I don't want to upset all the iPhone users out there :P

Sorry, I've just come back from a tipsy viewing of Toy Story 3 and I'm currently knocking back another beer. Excuse me if my behavior isn't 100%. I'll post more on this topic tomorrow.

BTW Charlie, your ZRE looks HOT ! I didn't want to believe that blue could ever look good but you've proved me wrong. Mucho Congratso.

Edited by SteveAndBelle

"

JDM 6000K 8000K 10000K 12000K Garax D4S or D4R HID Xenon Upgrade Bulbs

Introduction

This page features a pair of High Quality Genuine Japan Imported Garax 6000K, 8000K, 10000K or 12000K Mercury-Free JDM D4C (aka D4S or D4R) HID upgrading bulbs for OEM HID equipped vehicles such as Lexus or Toyota.

Unlike other sellers' cheap Chinese knock-off retrofit D4S/D4R bulbs converted from regular D2S/D2R bulbs, our JDM D4C HID bulbs are genuine Mercury-Free D4 bulbs using genuine Philips Burners.

Those Chinese knock-off retrofit D4S/D4R from D2S/D2R bulbs will burn out quick because genuine D4S/D4R HID bulbs are working under a higher 43V ballast comparing with regular D2S/D2R's 36V ballast.

The color temperature on OEM HID equipped vehicles are just 4300K, which they look yellowish and the lighting is not intense at all. After replacing the stock 4300K D4S or D4R bulbs with the JDM D4S or D4R bulbs, it will get rid of the yellowish look. The color temperature of the JDM bulbs will emit a Ultra White (6000K), Brilliant bluish (8000K), Deep Blue (10000K) or Light Purple (12000K)

It is perfect for customers who are looking for the better performance and exotic looking light output for their loved vehicles.

These Mercury-Free JDM D4C HID upgrading bulbs are precisely assembled by GARAX Inc. from Japan in order to maintain exact focus point and consistency. This will make sure the beam pattern will be the same as the stock 4300K D4S or D4R bulbs.

Don't settle with those knock-off Chinese D2S/D2R converted D4S/D4R bulbs. Our HID bulbs will ensure you with the highest quality, best performance and longest lasting.

Package

A pair of JDM 6000K Ultra White, 8000K Brilliant Blue, 10000K Deep Blue or 12000K Light Purple D4S or D4R HID upgrading bulbs."- ijdmtoy.com

So yep, they are tha same, and should work fine. Im willing to guinea pig em for the price.

Pete likes this (y)

I hooe you got two sets :o

Just waiting on a price back from a supplier in the US. Ive asked for multiple shipping quotes too.

On another note, I noticed Steve say he was going to look at SMD or LED foggie replacement, welll.... Look what just happened to me:

Check this thread

Quick preview:

SMDH11Failopen.jpg

:blink::angry:

Which H11 SMD's do other peeps have?

Just ordered a spare pair of Garax 6000k's along with mine. If anyone is interested let me know and ill hold on to them for you.

Ooooh ooh, my hand is raised !! I was just about to look back into all this after getting a bit of a bonus in my pay and would've ordered them tomorrow. If you're willing to flog them off then yes I'm interested.

No prob Steve, that was quick!

I managed to get 2 pair sent over for just US30 for the combined postage, so ill just charge you what i paid for them, plus postage to you. (ive got millions of express bags here for my business so ill just do you a cheap postage charge) Ill let you know the total once confirmed.

No prob Steve, that was quick!

I managed to get 2 pair sent over for just US30 for the combined postage, so ill just charge yo

u what i paid for them, plus postage to you. (ive got millions of express bags here for my business so ill just do you a cheap postage charge) Ill let you know the total once confirmed.

Dutchman,

Can you send some links my way, i might take a lookie :)

OK, I think I've got all the LEDs sorted (but not yet ordered) to fitout the entire car and I'm getting a pair of 6000 HIDs from Dutchie for the low beams ... but what about the high beams ?

I've had cheap 50W 6000 kits as high beams on two cars before and they've been amazing. They do take a bit too long to heat up though but I put that down to the cheap & cheerful ballasts. I noticed there were 'digital' ballasts around costing many times more but one of their features was fast startup times.

Has anyone had any experience with these 'better' Chinese ballasts and/or has anyone fitted swapped out their ZRE152 high beams halogens for HIDs ?

Ok, the supplier got back to me, cant do much in the way of discount on the bulbs, but will discount shipping cost. Anyone want in? Need to know by this arvo. If no one gets back to me ill just get 3 or 4 pair tops.