steering wheel shaking on braking

Kenshin X

hey guys quick question...

just got my slotted rotors last month. after i tracked i decided to rotate the wheels rear to front and front to rear. i did it last week but today i just noticed that my steering wheel shudders a bit from ~60km/h to ~40km/h braking lightly...

question is do i have to do a wheel alignment and balance after i rotate them? would this be the reason why its shuddering? I had had mixed opinions from people i've asked already. some people say u dont have to get it alligned but you have to get it balanced. some people say its not needed...

also i'm getting front and rear bushings for the control arms from energy suspension from the US so i reckon getting aligned and balanced NOW will be useless as i will have to do it again when i put those bushings in...

im also getting engine mounts from energy suspension installed in. so wait til all of it is in then i'll wheel allign/balance the lot.

another possibility would it be the rotors are warping already? and will it be not good for the tires/wheel/rotors/brakes if i keep driving and wait another month or so until i get these goodies in?

cheers guys

just got my slotted rotors last month. after i tracked i decided to rotate the wheels rear to front and front to rear. i did it last week but today i just noticed that my steering wheel shudders a bit from ~60km/h to ~40km/h braking lightly...

question is do i have to do a wheel alignment and balance after i rotate them? would this be the reason why its shuddering? I had had mixed opinions from people i've asked already. some people say u dont have to get it alligned but you have to get it balanced. some people say its not needed...

also i'm getting front and rear bushings for the control arms from energy suspension from the US so i reckon getting aligned and balanced NOW will be useless as i will have to do it again when i put those bushings in...

im also getting engine mounts from energy suspension installed in. so wait til all of it is in then i'll wheel allign/balance the lot.

another possibility would it be the rotors are warping already? and will it be not good for the tires/wheel/rotors/brakes if i keep driving and wait another month or so until i get these goodies in?

cheers guys

cheers guys

get the rotors skimmed. they will be fine till you get them done. will just be annoying

No need for an alignment doing a tyre rotation. To check if the wheels are unbalanced swap them back around to how they were before. If the shake remains then it'll be your rotors; if it goes away try a balance. And yes it is possible for rotors to warp that quickly if they aren't bedded in correctly.

Thanks for the replies. Looks like i got a job to do tomorrow... If they stop shaking after changing them back, i will keep them like that until the bushings r in. Get full alligning n balance after that. Let u know how it goes guys

ok, so i spent 30 mins changing them back to what they were before and still no difference... maybe even worse! :( still getting the shaking from 80km/h down to 50km/h... MY NEW ROTORS! :( :( :( :( and i only travelled not even 1000 kms! need to see what is happening with my mechanic tomorrow morning... maybe bring him a 6 pack too for his troubles

What rotors u using?

Don't have a problem with mine? Should have got mine instead??

:P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

They are dba slotted. I think exactly like urs guan lol. Faulty batch much?

Ok just been back from the mechanics in fawkner. No pulsating thru the pedals. Shudder is only on light braking n not hard braking He looked at the front rotors and said bedding in procedure was correct. I followed everything he said about bedding them in. Went easy on it for 1000kms...

Conclusion: He suspected the left front bushings r too soft n worn as was also said by the pedders suspension in footscray...

He said for me to get the energy suspension bushings and put them in and allign n balance the wheels again n see how i go. In the meantime he advised me to go easy and anticipate easy braking until everything is alright

Ok just been back from the mechanics in fawkner. No pulsating thru the pedals. Shudder is only on light braking n not hard braking He looked at the front rotors and said bedding in procedure was correct. I followed everything he said about bedding them in. Went easy on it for 1000kms...

Conclusion: He suspected the left front bushings r too soft n worn as was also said by the pedders suspension in footscray...

He said for me to get the energy suspension bushings and put them in and allign n balance the wheels again n see how i go. In the meantime he advised me to go easy and anticipate easy braking until everything is alright

you got 2 weeks... then hard braking and no anticipating... around GOR mountains :P

you got 2 weeks... then hard braking and no anticipating... around GOR mountains :P

which is my concern atm... if i don't get these bushings and engine mounts in by then... GG for my mountain run and i have to take it easy...

i've put the order in today and will pay it shortly, usually will take around 6 to 10 days to arrive here so hopefully it arrives before then.

booking mechanic in to do them on a saturday b4 cruise, but thing is need someone drive me back to home for work :(

Put your old rotors on and see if the shaking is gone.

my old rotors are in the dump lol. but they would definitely shake more as one side is undersized and the other full size :P

my old rotors are in the dump lol. but they would definitely shake more as one side is undersized and the other full size :P

Undersized or even differentially sizes rotors won't cause a shake. But what caused one to be worn out and not the other?

Undersized or even differentially sizes rotors won't cause a shake. But what caused one to be worn out and not the other?

when i bought my car, i noticed that there was a left DBA rotor and a OEM right front rotor... possibly changed only one as the left one was not road worthy... <_<

booking mechanic in to do them on a saturday b4 cruise, but thing is need someone drive me back to home for work :(

May as well get the TRD cai installed too Duy with the engine mount inserts.

My understanding of the matter...

Rotors are made from cast-iron.

When iron is flowed into a casting, it has its own individual internal stresses as a result of the flow and cooling process. (In the same way a lava-flow has a grain).

After many months of temperature cycling/weather, the stresses inside the metal casting "relax" and therefore warp into a more "natural" position.

I don't remember which manufacturer(s), but some of them use to (still do?) "weather" their castings to relieve these stresses before machining them.

I do know that DBA do not go through this stage when producing their discs. :(

Thanks for the replies all. Yday i found that inatalling the ES front bushings in, the shaking was pretty much eliminated.

Still some but not enough to make my glove box rattle like before. See after putting rear bushes in and allignment and balance and hopefully should be all good

Still some but not enough to make my glove box rattle like before.

I threw some 5 cent coins in your glove box when you weren't looking...hahahaha.

So when are you getting your car back from Pedders - tonight?

Still some but not enough to make my glove box rattle like before.

I threw some 5 cent coins in your glove box when you weren't looking...hahahaha.

So when are you getting your car back from Pedders - tonight?

hopefully 7.30ish, if u can. can u look see/ask them whether they had a biatch of a time putting them in :P cheers mate :clap:

hopefully 7.30ish, if u can. can u look see/ask them whether they had a biatch of a time putting them in :P cheers mate :clap:

They prob are, since my car is still there. your car is using my car's quality time with them lol.

But yeh, Ben had to go hospital recently for appendix op and reade has been sick. So think they both taking it easy since they are the only ones that run the place and do the work.

Think it must of been all that beer I had been giving them.

They prob are, since my car is still there. your car is using my car's quality time with them lol.

But yeh, Ben had to go hospital recently for appendix op and reade has been sick. So think they both taking it easy since they are the only ones that run the place and do the work.

Think it must of been all that beer I had been giving them.

Great... U give them poison and i take the poison out <_<