Exhaust Leak?

mikka

Was wondering if anyone else has experienced a sulphur smell (assume its exhaust gas) in the cabin. Its only a feint smell and I only get it after short bursts of 3/4 or full throttle (windows up and aircon on recirculate). Does it sound like an exhaust leak and if so any ideas which parts of the exhaust would be most likely problem area.

Was wondering if anyone else has experienced a sulphur smell (assume its exhaust gas) in the cabin. Its only a feint smell and I only get it after short bursts of 3/4 or full throttle (windows up and aircon on recirculate). Does it sound like an exhaust leak and if so any ideas which parts of the exhaust would be most likely problem area.

Are you sure your passengers didn't have an "accident" in their pants from the short burst of speed?

Ok, serious time. I haven't experienced this problem but I recall having read about it somewhere on here before. Sorry I couldn't find the post, maybe someone else can recall the context and have better luck searching.

Also, have you done any work to your exhaust system?

Are you sure your passengers didn't have an "accident" in their pants from the short burst of speed?

Ok, serious time. I haven't experienced this problem but I recall having read about it somewhere on here before. Sorry I couldn't find the post, maybe someone else can recall the context and have better luck searching.

Also, have you done any work to your exhaust system?

I wish I had but no such luck - exhaust is stock.

And its just me in the car when I go full throttle, the wife and the 3y.o get my 'Driving Miss Daisy' style... :P

YESSS!!! finally, i was about to post this up aswell, a sulphur type smell which i am fairly sure it's from the exhaust aswell. When i drive normaly (<2500 rpm) theres no problem but when u give her a good fangin, (>4000 rpm) theres a foul smell. :(

Any light shed on this would be helpful :)

It does come from the exhaust and the smell can manage to make it's way into the cabin. Usually though you only may get this when your windows are down. That said, the Aurion isn't exactly what I would call sealed from the elements when you have the windows up and A/C on recirculate. My last Aurion used to do this sometime, but it eventually went away. I more suspected the fuel.

Anyways, smells can 'travel' rather easily. If you've ever sat at a set of lights where the guy in front of you is smoking, you can even pick up on the smell of that when you are just sitting there in your car. I'm guessing that it's probably just the way the Aurion is designed that allows some of that exhaust smell work it's way forward towards the windows on the car.

Either way, as bad as it may seem, I wouldn't suspect an exhaust leak.

Could this be the small that emanates from the aircon that some complain of?

Its definitely not an aircon smell, its a sulphurous rotten egg gas smell and its only there after heavy throttle usage. Its strange that I haven't noticed it before but maybe I'm giving it a bit more throttle now that I've gotten used to the power of the Aurion, its certainly a bit addictive - my old Landrover Discovery wasn't nearly as much fun to punt around.

Could this be the small that emanates from the aircon that some complain of?

Its definitely not an aircon smell, its a sulphurous rotten egg gas smell and its only there after heavy throttle usage. Its strange that I haven't noticed it before but maybe I'm giving it a bit more throttle now that I've gotten used to the power of the Aurion, its certainly a bit addictive - my old Landrover Discovery wasn't nearly as much fun to punt around.

I have noticed this a few times going uphill and stopping at an intersection, it seems that the exhaust fumes float up and get sucked into the air ducts for the cabin.I dont think its too much to worry about.

Remember that even with recirculate air and windows up, there is always going to be some form of vent exposed to outside - otherwise everyone in the car will suffocate! I'm not sure where the ventilation in the Aurion might be, but every other car I have worked on always had vents around the back and had a small vent for fresh air at the front opened even when the fan is in recirculate.

Sorry but im terrible at explaining things..

for instance your driving on the highway with your aircon on with recirculate activated,

this will build up a vacuum inside the cabin and when you give it a bootful the gasses from the exhaust can enter through the boot vent positioned LH side behind the trim and enter the cabin

hopefully that explains a bit if you didn't know

If you want me to blabber on i can try make more sence