aftermarket vs genuine nudgebar

idisc

Hi Guys,

I've had the Kluger for 2 weeks now and love it!

I can't remember how much the Toyota nudge bar was but vaguely remember it being in the vicinity of $700? (can anyone confirm this?).

What are my other options in terms of aftermarket but OEM style nudge bars?

Has anyone had any experience with the OZnest item from ebay? If so, how is the fitting compared to the genuine part?

It looks like the Toyota bar is a mirror finish but the Oznest one is an unpolished finish.

The Oznest one is around $300 odd...

any other aftermarket ones to consider? I was looking at ARB but they only seem to make a deluxe bar for the Kluger.

Thanks,

Chris

Hi Guys,

I've had the Kluger for 2 weeks now and love it!

I can't remember how much the Toyota nudge bar was but vaguely remember it being in the vicinity of $700? (can anyone confirm this?).

What are my other options in terms of aftermarket but OEM style nudge bars?

Has anyone had any experience with the OZnest item from ebay? If so, how is the fitting compared to the genuine part?

It looks like the Toyota bar is a mirror finish but the Oznest one is an unpolished finish.

The Oznest one is around $300 odd...

any other aftermarket ones to consider? I was looking at ARB but they only seem to make a deluxe bar for the Kluger.

Thanks,

Chris

Good question Chris been thinking exactly the same thing will be waiting for the feedback on this one :rolleyes:

While I was doing research, I realised a very important point. The Oznest one won't be Airbag compliant.

Although if its a copy of the OEM one, I guess there's a good chance it will be fine.

• 2 weeks later...

While I was doing research, I realised a very important point. The Oznest one won't be Airbag compliant.

Although if its a copy of the OEM one, I guess there's a good chance it will be fine.

Not sure if they are on your vehicles, however on mine I have three (3) orange warning labels.

1) owner's manual 2) engine bay 3) glovebox

Basically a warning label to say that it will / may result in non-compliance with ADR 69/00 Frontal Impact Requirements.

I noticed today while changing the oil that there are big warning stickers in the manual AND under the bonnet about using non-genuine nudgebars...

EDIT - Sorry, just noticed that this has already been mentioned :whistling:

Edited by Matty P

I noticed that the ECB aftermarket nudgebars are airbag compliant.

They cost just as much as the genuine item though.

I was enquiring at Toyota about a month ago about the kluger nudgebar and I was informed that there were some quality issues. As a result there are no nudgebars coming in for the moment until they can sort out those issues.

Doesn't surprise that Toyota want everyone to fit a genuine nudge bar. Would they encourage people to fit non genuine?

These are not early American spec bags designed for low speed impacts where the occupants may not be wearing seatbelts (you don't have to some places in the states:)

It takes a big hit to set your front airbags off, one that the cars management system deems could result in serious injury or death.

It is an offence in Australia to disconnect or interfere with the operation of airbags, so therefore if these aftermarket ones do just that (which is highly doubtful) then the companies selling them are committing an offence.

Regardless if you have a big enough hit to set the air bags off in a Kluger, these type of nudge bar will make little difference (unless you have a homemade 10 inch thick solid steel one etc;) These genuine and copies are very light alloy, and are after all merely a holder for your driving lights, and not designed for taking hits.

Basically it is more of a concern to make sure that any full solid steel bullbar fitted to the kluger is compatible, as these are a completely diffent beast.!!!

Edited by wilsact

I can't see how the aftermarket nudgebar would interfere with the airbags.

They just bolt on the same way as the Toyota version.

See my earlier post: Nudge Bar Install tips for a DIY install

I have seen both and they are almost identical - they only difference I can see is the Toyota logo on the black plastic covers.

I would say they are made by the same supplier in China.

Kind regards

Hado

I can't see how the aftermarket nudgebar would interfere with the airbags.

They just bolt on the same way as the Toyota version.

See my earlier post: Nudge Bar Install tips for a DIY install

I have seen both and they are almost identical - they only difference I can see is the Toyota logo on the black plastic covers.

I would say they are made by the same supplier in China.

Kind regards

Hado

Exactly mate, but of course toyota would like you to think they do:)

we paid $954.46+GST on dealer contract for genuine nudge bar

gave in due to airbag compliance issue - rather not take the risk

there better not be quality issues! will mention this at pick up tomorrow tks

getting towball done elsewhere tho!

• 5 months later...

hi guy

I just receive an urgent letter for me to response due to spec of the toyota genuine nudgebar which it require the dealer to fit an extra towing racket. Any one of you receive that ?

Toyota are replacing the studs that the nudgebar bolt onto the front bumper with. In turn the towing hook fits into these studs. They have said that there is an issue with the strength of the studs when towing the vehicle.

With introduction of the 2011 facelift model Toyota changed the nudge bar to a puny little half height effort, offers minimal protection vis-a-vis the earlier model.

I opted for a ECM nudge bar, which is full height (you can just see the top of it from the drivers seat) and has driving light mounts. I got the grey/black hammer tone finish which suits the graphite body colour. Price was $688 & $50 fitting. The bar is fully certified as air-bag compatible.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone new to Toyota Owners Club.

I have just bought a new kluger 2011. my question is this does older year model nudgebars and side steps fit the 2011 model. I dont like the 2011 nudgebar to small and want to get stainless steel steps.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Regards Barry

Hi Everyone, been lurking a while, picked up my new 7 seat KX-R AWD today.

Went out to the Oznest warehouse yesterday and picked up roof-rails and sidesteps. He was careful to tell me they are NOT genuine toyota accessories :-)

All the info on them references the Higlander.

I suspect that he has hooked into a manufacturer who supplies aftermarket to the USA. It is all very good quality, I doubt anyone other than a dealer could tell you the stuff is not genuine. Although the side steps are not quite the same as the Aussie ones, the roof rails are very similar, and even have the same codes and markings as the genuine product? Go figure. The instructions are very well written English they are definitely NOT Chinglish.

He did a deal for cash and even has the 2011 black/silver combo in the roof rails.

Yes the sidesteps from the older model are interchangeable with the 2011 model.

Can't speak for the nudge bar though. Didn't look at it. Everything is very well boxed and packaged, I would say it would freight no probs without any damage at all.

His warehouse is in Greenacre NSW.

Way back in the 80's I was a delivery driver for a major 4x4 accessory manufacturer. The Bullbars were made in Australia and delivered by yours truly to the Toyota depot in Acacia Ridge. There were a few minor differences in the manufacturing ie. Tube size and placement of the uprights and spotlight mounts. I can assure you all that these parts altough they were repackaged in a spiffy Toyota box were not Genuine Toyota Japan issue. They were real 100% Aussie made by Aussie know-how using Comalco Aust Aluminium.

I doubt that things would have changed that much these days.

Buy Australian made if possible and keep the cash and jobs here