Rattle around drivers footwell when stopped

Hi,

I have an annoying rattle in my Aurion that sounds like it's coming from around the driver,s foot well area or in the very lower part of the dash. It could even be just on the other side of the firewall inside the engine bay. It's very hard to pinpoint. I've had Toyota check it out a few times and they can't find anything as the rattle does seem to come and go.

It only seems to be present when I'm stopped idling. For example if I stop at the lights and apply the brake I can hear it. As I take my foot off the brake it disappears and comes back when I put my foot on the brake again. But then on occasions I've also heard it when my foot is off the brake completely and then it disappears as I touch the accelerator.

The best way I can describe it is like a heat shield type rattle but a more plastic sound rather than metal. It doesn't sound like it's coming from the engine/gearbox etc. more like something touching something it shouldn't causing a vibration. I don't think it's at all serious just more annoying. Having the AC off/on also makes no difference.

Any advice on where to look would be most welcome.

Thanks

I am pretty sure you are talking about the same dull rattle that I have. I never posted it up because I thought it was just my dodgy headlight wiring job.

Hopefully we can eliminate what it is.

Take a look in the engine bay around the drivers side - and if it is anything like the sound I had, it turned out to be the edge of the aircon pipe fitting rattling against the body. As the pipe is connected to the airbox inside the car, I guess the sound was just transmitting down the pipe into the cabin?...

I can get a picture if you are having troubles finding it. In my situation, the pipe was sitting about 2mm from the frame, and when stopped at lights would rattle - probably just due to the engine vibration increase at idle. I simply used a large screwdriver and bent the support bracket very slightly outwards, so now the pipe clears by about 5mm. I haven't had a rattle since!

Take a look in the engine bay around the drivers side - and if it is anything like the sound I had, it turned out to be the edge of the aircon pipe fitting rattling against the body. As the pipe is connected to the airbox inside the car, I guess the sound was just transmitting down the pipe into the cabin?...

I can get a picture if you are having troubles finding it. In my situation, the pipe was sitting about 2mm from the frame, and when stopped at lights would rattle - probably just due to the engine vibration increase at idle. I simply used a large screwdriver and bent the support bracket very slightly outwards, so now the pipe clears by about 5mm. I haven't had a rattle since!

I've had a look around the drivers side in the engine bay but can't really see anything. Was it just behind the ABS system somewhere or did you get to it from underneath the car. Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

just another possibility.... the cover underneath the passenger side foot well (under the glove box) which covers the fuse box? mine came loose a while back and started to rattle on idle... i bit of stick on velcro helped to secure this cover and stop the rattle..

just remember to wipe the surface you stick the velcro with isopropyl to ensure it sticks well.

good luck :)

Very good point Davo... but in my case I have both the main cover and the fuse cover off because I blew a non essential fuse (My fault) but havnt replaced it yet.

Dave, is this what you are referring to?

• 1 month later...

Dave, is this what you are referring to?

I have confirmed that the part in the video is in fact causing the rattle noise.

Whilst in a Maccas car park the rattle for the first time was constant and wouldn't go away. So I confirmed it with a passenger.

While the passenger was sitting inside they identified that when I pushed down on the part that the noise stopped... There were a few times where I pretended to push on the part as to fool them but they didn't fall for it... I'm so happy to figure this one out.

Now I just need to figure out how to stop it. At the moment I am thinking of putting some heat resistant rubber under it where it rattles against the body.

Edited by Hidden Taco (HT)