hope their are other estima or previa owners out their

ledgend

Hi ledgend, heres one for you please!

I own 3 1990 import Estima's TCR21's (ie not emina or ludica) they are awesome cars!

One of the 3 has had a bunch of issues and the faults remain undiagnosed by auto electrician and my mobile mechanic..It doesn't get used every day, maybe gets a good run every 2 weeks and then 4 times a year goes in holiday where we do about 2000 kms the issues to date are:

Battery flat and not charging, solution: new battery $140

Immobiliser (2 years old, aftermarket) only working some of the time, other times I have to refer to the override instructions, solution: new immobiliser $200

This car doesn't have central locking on the key but once you get to 20kms an hour all the doors auto-lock, except one, the sliding door keeps trying to lock every few secs - very annoying solution: Remove the fuse!

Car sounds very rough & spluttering when started after sitting a while - have had a major service and safety check, new plugs oil etc $300 but remains unresolved

Drives fine and has never let us down on the open road but even after a while when idling occasionally it splutters

When you are in the car with the engine idling and the doors shut there is a low drone/whine that you can here over the engine (a/c off), sounds like a motor of some sort is strained - unresolved

I should mention that I'm by no means a perfectionist and realise this is a 20 yr old car now however I'm losing confidence in it. Its done genuine 150,000kms from new, am I up for a major overhaul of some sort?

Appreciate your help!

S

g dat matey see what i can do is it a petrol or deisel 3ct or 3cte most of my experience is with the 3cte ( battery ) possibly alternator not charging correct voltage , batterys can discharge through the system over a long period of time vd lol voltage drop checking complete system only option.some times battery plates fuse together creating a dead cell hence battery fault, not enough voltage to crank. possible fault with alternater diodes or charging circuit or voltage regulator.

doors well I will work on that one.

probably a faulty acututor or not adjusted properly.

running rough; if it is a diesel possiblely glow plug fault because its cold, incorrect voltage to heating rail or for glow plugs. or broken wire which is an intermitten fault in the wiring. check for continuity with volt metre or multi metre.

engine idling; low drone possibly engine oil, top up resevoir, if fitted.

also check fuel screen in sender unit of fuel tank. sometiems something can be sucked up under motion and unstick when still and vice versa.

just let me know if its a diesel or petrol.

cheers

Ledgend

• 4 months later...

if you need any help with your import i might be able to help B)

Hey Ledgend,

Names Steve, i've been having on and off trouble with a 92 Estima Turbo Diesel (Auto), i brought it half a year back.

Am i able to substitue these parts with ones from a Tarago??

Also if you know where i could grab these parts it would be greatly appreciated:

Firstly i need a new or decent condition coolant reservoir (overflow bottle). I've called around, best i found was $110 at Toyrolla spares (i'm unsure whether this price is for new or used). Does this sound like a reasonable price... if not you know where i can get one.

Next up is a centre bearing on the tail shaft. Haven't had the chance to call around just yet. I've seen Hilux centre bearings from about $50. Do you know what a decent price would be?

Much thanks for your help.

Wishing you well,

Steve.

• 2 months later...

so bloody sorry i havnt been on been a bit ill :wacko: then i forgot my password :blush: Im in the same position need new header tank ( expansion bottle ),cheapest option is to source one from a wreckers, or a vehicle with same amount and size outlets also make sure radiator cap is same pressure. Centre bearing i havnt done yet, but there should be a number on the bearing to take to your local supplier, or a second hand option from the wreckers.

G'day!

I'm DESPERATLY seeking a towbar for my 93 estima so I can tow the boat for easter..

ANY help or advice greatly appreciated!

Cheers.

Johnny (Vic, Aus)

so bloody sorry i havnt been on been a bit ill :wacko: then i forgot my password :blush: Im in the same position need new header tank ( expansion bottle ),cheapest option is to source one from a wreckers, or a vehicle with same amount and size outlets also make sure radiator cap is same pressure. Centre bearing i havnt done yet, but there should be a number on the bearing to take to your local supplier, or a second hand option from the wreckers.

the only estimas wrecking at moment are in queensland. post-20087-0-36326700-1301229549_thumb.j you need one of these, :g: dont look overly stong at ball support mount :whistling: these are on e bay uk anywhere from 60 pound to 200 pound plus post. :idea: the other option is to get a same year tarago tow bar and have it modified to suit the narrower estima good luck matey im in country vic B)

• 4 weeks later...

i might just call you gas for short :D the main thing is to keep your cooling system spotless, dont panic when i say this. but they do have a habit of heads cracking between valves, coolant condition and lack of maintenance the main cause .timing belt can be an issue zero clearance motor a good idea to fit a new timingbelt if you dont have a previous service history of the vehicle. the auxilary drve shaft or sads coupling can get a nasty rattle up, which would mean replacing the flexible coupling joint. regular servicing of the fuel filters is a must also on fuel side their is a mesh cone shaped filter under the stop solenoid of injector pump remove and dicard . :o :o :o dont panic or stress B) alot of these things go wrong due to bad maintenance or at worst sheer bad luck. will post some more photos as information enjoy your bus :yahoo: i have had 3 years of trouble free motoring just keep maintenance up cheers trevor

I have an intresting question, if anyone can provide an answer it would be appreciated...

I have bought a 93 Tarago, however dealer says car was imported in 95 and is rego'd and badged (with 95 Compliance plates) as a 95 Tarago.. Is this because 93 Estima's had simular spec's i.e. rotors and calipers front and rear, etc.. then the 95 Australian domestic market Tarago's?? Its got me stumped..

Thanks,

Anthony.

I have an intresting question, if anyone can provide an answer it would be appreciated...

I have bought a 93 Tarago, however dealer says car was imported in 95 and is rego'd and badged (with 95 Compliance plates) as a 95 Tarago.. Is this because 93 Estima's had simular spec's i.e. rotors and calipers front and rear, etc.. then the 95 Australian domestic market Tarago's?? Its got me stumped..

Thanks,

Anthony.

Hi Anthony, it is possible that as yours is rego'd and badged as a tarago then it may have come from another country that has them as taragos. New Zealand is also tarago's so it could have been bought over???

I had a mitsubishi sigma in the early 90's it was badged as mitsubishi sigma and had an aussie Mitsu compliance plate but when I looked closer it was actually an import from South africa.

gas matey under the passenger seat is the ecu, the one in the photo is the diagnostic test ports :D i thing i posted the procedure to do a diagnostic test with the fault codes if i didnt i will post it up asap B)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Mines not the flip out one. I checked ebay and the only things on there are pretty much the key shell for the remote, and even those are only 2 button ones. I need the complete unit (key with transponder chip and remote electronics).

I think I've found the part number for a genuine one, might have to see if my Toyota dealer is able to order it in.

• 1 month later...

Hi Ledgend.

Great thread and excellent you are offering...here's one for ya.

I have been helping my father with this and its getting very frustrating, especially with no wiring diagram.

Thanks for posting relay locations that will help us too.

HIS ADVERT IS ON http://www.teoc.ws/ (user PaulY)

i have a 1994 Lucida diesel auto. Great vehicle - but it has stopped running! I have gone through all the threads on here for an answer and followed various advice given here, but I still cannot get it to go. here is the full history of this:-

For no apparent reason, the overdrive dropped out on a short journey. i stopped at my destination then returned home and the overdrive was fine. the next day the same thing happened. worked perfectly after that, but i took to my local garage to see if there was a problem but the computer had not recorded any incident. A week later i turned off the main road into a lane and switched off the overdrive and the engine cut out. I mention this as I cannot help but think it is related. Next day i did the research and checked the fuses and the relays. I noticedAttached Image: Image00001.jpg some lights out on the dashboard notably the engine management and the glow plug lights. However every now and then they would light up and twice when they were alight it started but only ran for about 30 seconds. Since that, it hasn't done it. Local garage had it for a while and tested all feeds but eventually gave up as there is no wiring diagram available. Now i have, again from advice here, changed the ecu - got the right one from a scrapyard! That got the lights on the dashboard working. relays are fine. fuses fine. I changed the stop solenoid and the spill valve. note - neither of these has 12v going to them; if i provide power they operate ie i can hear a click when power goes to them, but still won't start. As i was trying to start one time only, the engine fired a few times but that was all. there are three of these solenoids; the large one which i assume from what has been said on this site is the spill valve, and this has a 10 volt supply going to it - which seems an odd figure. the smaller one i assume is the stop valve and has no power going to it, and another small one underneath which has no power going to it but does click if i provide power.

All very odd! Therefore I had an ECU which was faulty, a spill valve and stop valve which were faulty - the old ones do not click when i put power to them.

I have disconnected the lead at the rear of the gearbox also which i assume is the power to the overdrive as i am sure this is related. dont know what else to test. also don't know what supply voltages should be present prior to starting. All suggestions welcomed!

Cheers

I'm an Estima Lucida owner and am looking for a mechanic in Melbourne's bayside suburbs who is familiar with the diesel model. I need work done on the water pump, new hoses and the seal on the drive shaft that runs the forward accessories. Also the front end needs work. Any pointers to spare parts and a mechanic in the know would be much appreciated. Thanks