They all do that sir…….

FMAN

When I first got my Aurion about 18 months or so ago I noticed that the link between the steering wheel and the front wheels was somewhat vague and accompanied by various clunks.

After a fair bit of discussion with the dealership the rack and the intermediate shaft were replaced. This transformed the car, the steering then felt a lot sharper with better feedback and no clunking noises.

Now a year later I have noticed the vagueness has come back and when driving down a dirt road it sounds like something is loose near the front right wheel. If you turn the wheel back and forth with the engine off a clunk can be heard. The inner track rod ball joint makes this noise because it worn again.

I talked to the dealer and he said that they checked other Aurions and found that they all do that. The car is also now out of warranty, but the part was replaced less than 12 months ago. The good news it that Toyota have just replaced the rack under parts warranty. My car does not make a clunking noise anymore!

They might all make the noise but they shouldn’t! So to all of you that were feeling happy that your racks have been replaced now is time to check it again to see if it still OK.

My car has only about 63k Km and this is rack no3.

It seems that the part of the annual service will now be to replace the rack…..

heres my thoughts , out on a limb and not knowing all of the facts.

the steering intermediate shaft was revised and the revised part was used in production in late 2009. so if the shaft was replaced before the revised part it may have had further issues. i had my intermediate shaft replaced on my 2006 zr6 3 months ago under warranty at the dealership where i work(26k klms mind you). i would say that we have not replaced a rack for noise issues. only a couple of camrys for rack oil leak issues.

so if you now have the revised steering intermediate shaft fitted (the part number did superceed) you shouldn't have any more issues. i test drive dozens of vehicles per week and the worst feeling aurions and camrys are more noticeable at slow speeds ,corning and braking or accelerating. the same feeloing has been found in rav 4s and some klugers as well.

heres my thoughts , out on a limb and not knowing all of the facts.

the steering intermediate shaft was revised and the revised part was used in production in late 2009. so if the shaft was replaced before the revised part it may have had further issues. i had my intermediate shaft replaced on my 2006 zr6 3 months ago under warranty at the dealership where i work(26k klms mind you). i would say that we have not replaced a rack for noise issues. only a couple of camrys for rack oil leak issues.

so if you now have the revised steering intermediate shaft fitted (the part number did superceed) you shouldn't have any more issues. i test drive dozens of vehicles per week and the worst feeling aurions and camrys are more noticeable at slow speeds ,corning and braking or accelerating. the same feeloing has been found in rav 4s and some klugers as well.

Hi GSV40R, so mate what is the cause of the knocking within the Aurion rack (in the inner tie rod end ).We had our whole new steering rack installed/replaced under warranty MY10 (only 15000kms).Is it insufficient preload or is it a bush inside the rack housing that wears.In regards to FMAN he is on his 2nd rack, so what happens now, rather than fix the problem Toyota just puts a new rack in each year.If you can find out exactly what the fault is would be much appreciated

I think I must be lucky in this aspect. Car is up to 90,000km and still on the first rack. No clunks or knocks to report. Although now that I've said that I bet I'll start hearing them... Lol

• 8 months later...

9 months on, the steering feels like it is connected to the wheels, the car feels great and there are no clonks. So has the rack problem gone away... of course not - rack No4 fitted today under warranty!

If the rest of the Aurions are like this one, there are going to be a lot of cars failing the Rego check when they are 5 years old.

Are they sure it's the the steering rack? I know the front sway bar bushes flog out in them pretty bad.

Yes, you can feel and hear the play in the inner ball joint. With the new rack no noise and better steering.

• 1 year later...

Picked mine up 2 days ago and noticed the clunk! Thanks to all for the insight. The car is booked in this week for their service department to inspect.

So.... took the car into Toyota, they had the thing gor the WHOLE day and could not find the cause of the clunk.

Any ideas???

Will have to take it in again next week and they have asked me to eave it with them for 2 days.

Will keep you all posted.