Installing shock absorbers & sway bar bushes

Igor

Hi all, I know that shock absorbers have been discussed extensively previously, but I wanted to ask about installing shock absorbers. I had my car (Gen 4 Camry V6) serviced today and the dealer said that my RHF shock absorber was leaking and needed to be replaced. So I've decided to buy a pair of KYB Excel-G shock absorbers and replace both the RHF and LHF shock absorbers myself. Firstly, is this okay considering that I will not be replacing the rear shock absorbers that are stock? Secondly, has anyone replaced their own shock absorbers before and is it very difficult? I will be doing it with my dad who's pretty good with tools so I think I should be alright...

Also, I need to replace my rear sway bar bushes. I was also going to do this myself (with my dad). Again, is this very difficult?

Thanks,

Igor

Replacing both the shocks and sway bar bushes will be an easy DIY job. When I say easy, I just mean that if you have the tools and patience, you don't have to get a pro to do it. All you will need is a jack, set of jack stands, socket set and some spring compressors.

As for changing only the fronts, you will be fine. The Excel-G's are basically just an OEM replacement so you pretty much won't be making an handling changes. As long as you change it in a front/rear pair as you will do, you will be fine.

Just make sure you get a wheel alignment done afterwards. I also recommend getting new bump stops and boot kit (something like a Monroe Strut Mate kit) while you are at it.