Howdy!

Howdy from the states! I'm from Texas, but am currently vacationing in Florida for the summer.

I received news that I'll be going to Australia sometime within the next 12 months for work. My company will ship my 2001 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner DoubleCab there, but will that be a big issue? I have been told that getting auto insurance on an American vehicle can be a bit difficult, but I haven't received any details. I am aware of the Toyota HiLux (which looks like an off-roader's dream!) but any trucks after 1995 doesn't seem to share much as far as mechanical parts and what not. Does anyone have any details on this? Are there any Tacomas in the country? I'd hate to bring my trusty truck and not be able to find a mechanic.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Howdy from the states! I'm from Texas, but am currently vacationing in Florida for the summer.

I received news that I'll be going to Australia sometime within the next 12 months for work. My company will ship my 2001 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner DoubleCab there, but will that be a big issue? I have been told that getting auto insurance on an American vehicle can be a bit difficult, but I haven't received any details. I am aware of the Toyota HiLux (which looks like an off-roader's dream!) but any trucks after 1995 doesn't seem to share much as far as mechanical parts and what not. Does anyone have any details on this? Are there any Tacomas in the country? I'd hate to bring my trusty truck and not be able to find a mechanic.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Are you serious? Damn and I thought I loved my car :ph34r:

I am not sure you will be able to register it without having it converted to RHD... You might be better off selling it and purchasing a Hilux/Landcruiser here...

I think you will find that they won't register it because it is LHD. Generally, LHD vehicles can only be registered if they are of a certain vintage or for restricted use only.

Hmmm....I've read that it would be ok to import a USA car into Alice Springs. Is that not true?

Good point. My apologies. The Northern Territory and Western Australia is a bit more relaxed on their personal car import and registration requirements.