ABS in 05 sportivo

just wondering how the abs works in other peoples sportivos?

reason being, 3 days ago on the way home from work, i was driving on a country hwy at just under 100km/h and a bloody big roo jumped out in front of me. naturally, i hit the brakes and reached the abs threshold, and stayed on it until the car came to a stop (heard all the normal abs sounds, pulsating pedal, steering did not pull to one side, etc). i smelt a lot of burning rubber which seemed odd, so i checked the car when i got home and the rear left wheel had completely locked up during the braking, causing a massive flat spot on the rear left tyre (down to virtually no tread in one spot, tyres near new)

is this normal behavour for the corolla abs actuator? i had to do a couple of big brakes in the camry sportivo when i had that, and that thing pulled up heaps better than the corolla without the tyres locking up one bit.

all the other tyres are fine so no evidence of those wheels locking up, and the abs light did not/has not come on, nor the check engine light. car still starts up normally and the abs light goes after after approx 3 seconds.

Edited by lateralus

just wondering how the abs works in other peoples sportivos?

reason being, 3 days ago on the way home from work, i was driving on a country hwy at just under 100km/h and a bloody big roo jumped out in front of me. naturally, i hit the brakes and reached the abs threshold, and stayed on it until the car came to a stop (heard all the normal abs sounds, pulsating pedal, steering did not pull to one side, etc). i smelt a lot of burning rubber which seemed odd, so i checked the car when i got home and the rear left wheel had completely locked up during the braking, causing a massive flat spot on the rear left tyre (down to virtually no tread in one spot, tyres near new)

is this normal behavour for the corolla abs actuator? i had to do a couple of big brakes in the camry sportivo when i had that, and that thing pulled up heaps better than the corolla without the tyres locking up one bit.

all the other tyres are fine so no evidence of those wheels locking up, and the abs light did not/has not come on, nor the check engine light. car still starts up normally and the abs light goes after after approx 3 seconds.

everything except the locking up of the wheel happens to me... did your abs light come on when the abs activated?

nope, that is what has me boggled. everything is normal except for the locking up of the wheel :huh:

Dude i just put ABS in my 03 corolla, the ABS pump applies pressure through the break lines, the dreaks are ment to actuate on and off to stop the locking up...have it checked out by a pro, there would have to be something wrong with the system...

That does not sound right with the wheels locking, Everything else is correct though. Next time the cars due for a service you might want to bring that up.

I would hazard a guess that the problem is with the actuator.

If one of the inputs ( wheel rotation signal ) was missing or bad you would get the ABS MIL lighting up.

Would probably say a sticking valve for the wheel that locked up.

Don't think you can test this yourself as you might need the Toyota diagnostic tool to tell the ABS to go into test mode.