how many kilometres do you get out of a full tank in regular city driving?

Alice_2010

hey all

We have just got a 2010 rav4 and we are only getting 450-500km per tank of fuel is that normal for city driving???

I used to own a 05 Rav 4 and was happy just getting 470km and most of that was driving on the Highway.

The all wheel drive consumes lot more fuel.. I think it does some where like 10.9 odd per 100..

stats show that my aurion should consume about the same amount of fuel as your RAV4. i get around 550km per tank(city driving), but in saying that, my aurion has a 70ltr tank whereas your RAV4 has a 60ltr tank. therefore i would say the fuel consumption of your car is acceptable.

My friend and i pretty use the same routes when driving (95% city 5% freeway) and i only get 10.3L/100km whereas he gets 13L/100km in his 4cyl 2007 rav4. A theory behind this is that he has to rev much higher to get the acceleration meaning using more fuel.

• 2 months later...

My Rav is now just over 2 years old. It's a 2.4 CV auto and when I bought (new) the fuel economy was horrible. I would get some like 360km before the fuel light would come on. When the fuel light comes on, there is still about 10 litres in the tank. My what I have realsied is that everyday I'm getting better fuel economy. I've used premium fuels from day one. I mostly use 98 RON but 95 RON at servos that do not have 98.

Now 2 years on with just under 45,000km, on the highway I can get 580KM brfore the fuel light comes on. So it's pretty much getting 580km from around 50 litres of fuel. I'm pretty happy with that.

I think the worst fuel economy I got was till about 15,000km and then it started improving and but after the 40,000km mark, the fuel economy is the best that I have had.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi, Only by driving my 2005 RAV4 very carefully and adopting some hpermiling techniques have manged to get down to 7.2litres/100km - still feel there is room for improvement.

Edited by MAROON

I CANT BELEIVE HOW THIRSTY 4 CYLINDER RAV 4 ARE. I DID LOOK AT THE RAV4 BEFORE I BOUGHT MY KLUGER BUT IM GLAD I DIDNT BECAUSE MY KLUGER IS HEAPS BETTER ON FUEL THAN THAT. I WOULD OF THOUGHT 4 CYLINDER RAV4 WOULD BE ECONOMICAL.

Croco: good for u.. each to their own! and there is such thing as non capital letters

I have the 2011 CV 4WD RAV4... I was kinda shocked at the amount of fuel it pumped but having said that, someone that responded here is right, if its an AWD yep its gonna use more fuel up just as much as if u get the V6 Version (that would use up more) . I still love it, such a nice drive. Never been more happy wit my baby! :D

• 3 weeks later...

I've recently bought a new Rav4 (late 2011) and i'm finding the fuel enconomy really woeful. Granted it's new and it's about to do 3000km but I am only getting just on 300kms/tank which works out about 18-19L/100km and this is regardless of weather I do short city trips or highway running. I'm about to take it back to the dealership to see if there is something wrong with it - i'm just hoping they won't just tell me to go away and see how it is at 10,000km

• 1 month later...

I've recently bought a new Rav4 (late 2011) and i'm finding the fuel enconomy really woeful. Granted it's new and it's about to do 3000km but I am only getting just on 300kms/tank which works out about 18-19L/100km and this is regardless of weather I do short city trips or highway running. I'm about to take it back to the dealership to see if there is something wrong with it - i'm just hoping they won't just tell me to go away and see how it is at 10,000km

We are in the same problem mate, my 2011 RAV4 use 15L/100km, I am going to let dealer check it at next week, let we exchange what they say.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

My parents have the '10 Rav4 2.4L CV 4WD (auto); highway is about 10-11L/100kms and about 12-13L/100kms start-stop driving (and probably less figures for manual). So everyone is doing about the same.

The 2.4L is in fact less economical than the V6 Rav. Remember that the Rav4 weighs about 1.5 tonnes and how fast you accelerate. I remembered one time I was overtaking heaps back from a snow trip and got 15L/100kms on the highway.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys,

Im not sure if anybody is looking at this thread much anymore but ive decided to include my 2-cents here. ^_^

I have a 2005 Rav4 Cruiser with a 50L tank. My typical stats are:

* 50L of unleaded 91 = 450- 515km per tank

I do a large amount of city driving and live in an area that has many steep hills and climbs. The 2.4L engine is great, however the AWD system loves to chew your fuel. When doing country driving the car is very economical at 80-95km/h @ 2500 revs but not some much at 95-110km/h @ 3000revs!

PS: Correct tyres pressures and a wheel alignment can save you alot of fuel money and increase the life of your tyres!

Anyway there is always a price to pay when driving a constant AWD car, my friends 2007 Subaru Forester has virtually the same stats as myself.

Cheers, Honey Badger

• 3 months later...

2001 rav4 2.0 1AZ-FE

BP Premium -

Freeway (80-110km/hr) 9.6-10.0lt/100km depends on steep hills as well

Highway (50-80km/hr) 11.5-12lt/100km

City (40-60km/hr) 11.6-13lt/100km

:) those my stats from my model

Hey man I have the same model as you?! I was just wondering what the fuel capacity in terms of litres is your car and how much can you get from a full tank? Such as 350k too 400kms on one tank?

• 1 month later...

The whole problem with this thread is that people are not clear on how they are measuring the usage compared to kilometres covered. The rav4 only has a 60 litre fuel tank, so what can appear as high fuel usage can actually be just because the the fuel capacity is a lot less than other vehicles. Someone here posts that there toyota kluger gets better mileage than the rav4, this is expected with the 72 litre tank in the kluger.

Secondly, how do people here measure usage? If by measuring usage, you mean that you record the km driven until the fuel light comes on, then it is not an appropriate way to monitor fuel usage. This is because, firstly, when the light comes on, you still have 15 litres in the tank. So therefore, there is approximately 45 litres that has been used. This means, that if you are getting 350 km per tank, then this is equal to about 12 litres per 100km which is much better than most 6cylinders on the market. If you are getting 500 km to this tank, then you are getting closer to about 8 litres per 100 km per tank, which very good mileage.

Thirdly, the fuel light can come on prematurely, on hills and is not a good indicator of fuel usage.

This is the way I monitor my fuel usage. Fill your tank to the max. Start your odometer clock. Then, next time you fill up (car doesnt need to be empty), record how much fuel you put into the car to get it to max (this is the amount of fuel used). Use this figure in your fuel calculations. I use a fuel app on my Samsung phone, I'm sure there are others for iPhones too. Allows me to record all my fuel usage.

Edited by Where's Wally

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

My 2012 Rav4 Altitude SE gives me juuuuuuuust over 450kms if I let it get that low, but I usually fill up when I'm down to 1/4 of a tank because I don't think we get many kms once the fuel light comes on! I do a 80km round trip to/from work each day in peak hour traffic :(

My Toyota dealer claims that once the fuel light comes on there is 15L left in the tank. Which is actually 1/4 of the 60L tank. I looked at my book and it says nothing, can anyone confirm?

My Toyota dealer claims that once the fuel light comes on there is 15L left in the tank. Which is actually 1/4 of the 60L tank. I looked at my book and it says nothing, can anyone confirm?

I find that hard to believe as my light comes on when it's scarily close to the E on my gauge! Also couldn't find anything in my owners manual and the only results I get in google is this thread and links to american forums talking about gas in gallons & miles.. and its way too early in the morning to think about converting that stuff, ha ha. Have a good day guys

• 3 months later...

hi all,

i have a 2006 rav 4 cv model which i just bought second hand at 74k. its v4 2.4l all wheel drive. anywayz, i seriously can only get 340k before the empty light shows up and really only pushed it to 360k before fuelling up. i cant believe how bad this cars fuel economy is, i bought it and didnt bother about researching the fuel economy as it was a toyota and i knew they usually have good fuel economy. is anyone in the same boat ? or did i just buy a lemon car. let me know how much your getting and if there are any way to improve the fuel economy. can i possibly put this onto gas? besides the obvious, i might have to let this car go cant afford to hold on to it with the fuel consumption this bad. i do probably 70 percent of city type driving and 30 percent of highway driving . let me know your thoughts . thanks.

Is it possible to install LPG system into my rav 4? with the current 1k rebate im thinking about it

• 7 months later...

Dear all,

Getting less than 600 km out a full tank (60 L) from a rav 4 is horrible. it must be a calculation error.

A distance of 450 km on a 60 L tank translates to fuel mileage of 13.3 L/100 km. This is in the realm of V6s and V8s...

On my 2009 Rav 4 4WD Manual CV, 4 cyclinder, aftermarket wheels (lighter by 120 kg) a full tank takes me:

680 km on highway : fuel mileage of 8.7 L/.100 km

625 km on city : fuel mileage of 9.6 L/.100 km

for a combined fuel mileage of 9.2 L/.100 km, which translates to on average 650 km distance travelled on a full tank.

you may recheck your calculations if its correct. simply, you may

(1) refuel to full tank

(2) reset trip calculator, A or B to zero. Preferably use A, such that you can use B later for 2nd trial.

(3) refuel to full tank after you've had travelled > 300 km or say ~ 10% of fuel is left

(4) note the L of fuel that your Rav has taken on

(5) check your travelled distance on the trip calculator A. divide this by 100.

(6) divide the L refueled by the answer you got from step 5.

(7) repeat steps 2 to 6, but use trip calculator B this time.

cheers,

Rey

• 10 months later...

Reviving an old thread here. I've got an 09 ZR6 and it's a fuel muncher. 50L took me 330km :(

That's 15L/100km.

I thought that was bad till reading about the same consumption with 4 cylinders.