Climate control

If the compressor is activated, then yes. It is applying more load to the engine and more load needs more fuel. It's not goign to be in the order or 1L/100km, but you need to weigh up is it better to be comfortable or save 10c worth of fuel?

As per title, does using climate control in the Aurion use extra fuel? For example one side 30 degrees and other side 25 degrees(with aircon off)

In theory it shouldn't, you're just regulating the distribution of the hot air, so I can't really see it using any more fuel than just normal (there is electricity required but there is no load on the engine).

If the compressor is activated,

Compressor being the a/c?

Yes. However it doesn't run all the time; unless you set the temperature very low compared to what it is currently at. One way to learn when it activates is to sit idling and with the headlights on, turn the AC on and off and notice the lights dim slightly as it activates, there will be a slight change in engine noise as the engine idles up a touch more due to the load. Since the AC pulley has an electronically controlled clutch in it it can turn on and off as required. So if the clutch isn't activated the load of the compressor wont be applied.

Yes. However it doesn't run all the time; unless you set the temperature very low compared to what it is currently at.

Is this the same for the manual a/c? Or when you turn the a/c on in the manual one, it continously runs?

Edited by TheMirror

Yes. However it doesn't run all the time; unless you set the temperature very low compared to what it is currently at.

Is this the same for the manual a/c? Or when you turn the a/c on in the manual one, it continously runs?

Anything involving the operation of the air-conditioner compressor will affect fuel consumption, be it manual or climate-controlled. I was making the assumption earlier that the climate control was acting independtly of the air-con (as you said the air-con button was off), especially since the temperatures you were quoting were well into the "warm" range and thus don't require an air-con to reach.

Anything involving the operation of the air-conditioner compressor will affect fuel consumption, be it manual or climate-controlled. I was making the assumption earlier that the climate control was acting independtly of the air-con (as you said the air-con button was off), especially since the temperatures you were quoting were well into the "warm" range and thus don't require an air-con to reach.

I think he meant more along the lines of whether the compressor runs continuously for the manual A/C, and not cycled on and off as was implied with regards to the climate control.

In that case, for both the manual and auto A/C, the compressor only runs as required. When you set the temperature (be it through the manual dial or auto climate control), when the temperature of the air passing through the evaporator of the A/C gets above it's upper threshold for the set temperature, the compressor will engage. Once it has reached the set temperature, the compressor will disengage.

Thanks guys. Those are very detailed posts and I appreciate the help as always. I think I'm just still a bit touchy with fuel consumption with A/C/climate control because my 97 slug of a camry, when I would turn the A/C on the car would drop from 4cylinders to 2cylinders.

I had to turn off the A/C when stopping at red lights because the car was so gutless to accelerate and if I left it on it required so much acceleration that I could see the petrol needle drop ever so slighty. :lol:

I think he meant more along the lines of whether the compressor runs continuously for the manual A/C, and not cycled on and off as was implied with regards to the climate control.

In that case, for both the manual and auto A/C, the compressor only runs as required. When you set the temperature (be it through the manual dial or auto climate control), when the temperature of the air passing through the evaporator of the A/C gets above it's upper threshold for the set temperature, the compressor will engage. Once it has reached the set temperature, the compressor will disengage.

Thankss, one more question. If the compressor cools the air, what happens when you turn the knob to maximum heat with the a/c on? Is the compressor always off..?

Thankss, one more question. If the compressor cools the air, what happens when you turn the knob to maximum heat with the a/c on? Is the compressor always off..?

If you're just referring to a manual A/C system, then yes the air-con compressor still runs even when you turn it to full heat. The air that you get out of the vents will be slightly cooler than what you could get if the air-con was turned off, but the added bonus is that the evaporator acts as a de-humidifier and dries the air (which is why you should always put air-con on when trying to demist the windscreen).

We were doing some highway driving, 2 adults/2 teenagers, at 8.1 litres/100ks with aircon off.

It rose to 8.5 with aircon on. I can't remember if the climate control was on or not, but it's usually set at 19c if so. 22c the last week though!

Edited by boxerboy