No oil in new delivered Kluger cooks engine!

GAS

Sit down for this one. I have just picked up my new KX-R May Kluger from a Brisbane dealer (withholding dealers name at this point in good faith that I am treated fairly) and the engine has cooked! No warning lights/bells/whistles/temp gauges went off. I traveled 30km before I lost power and had to pull over. I checked the dipstick and it was dry and steaming. Pulled the filler cap off to smell a burnt engine. Drain plug was still in. This after the car was delivered with a dented rear bar (from the transport company) was enough! New engine approx = $18 000, rear bar approx = $2000 we are up to half the price of the car already. I made sure that the dealer put in a full tank of fuel, but I didn't think that I had to tell him to put in a full tank of oil! I have been told that the best case scenario will be that they buy my car off me and reissue another deal. I have RACQ legals and others helping me as I am not interested in a rebuild after 30km or a new engine, just to get out of this lemon and start again. Which heads roll is not my problem, I have a loan car at the moment and I will be keeping you posted.

Another interesting day with the cooked Kluger. Strange how I went the the service department at 9am after cooking it at 6pm the night before and all of a sudden there is 2 inches of oil showing on the dipstick? I'm not a magician so I don't know how oil gets pulled out of thin air, but the night before I ran my hand from top to bottom of the dipstick and found no oil and it was hot and smoking. Perhaps an insurance ploy? We will see what today brings. I have documents for a new car vin/eng no. and Aug comp so feeling better.

Another interesting day with the cooked Kluger. Strange how I went the the service department at 9am after cooking it at 6pm the night before and all of a sudden there is 2 inches of oil showing on the dipstick? I'm not a magician so I don't know how oil gets pulled out of thin air, but the night before I ran my hand from top to bottom of the dipstick and found no oil and it was hot and smoking. Perhaps an insurance ploy? We will see what today brings. I have documents for a new car vin/eng no. and Aug comp so feeling better.

that is the strangest thing i have ever heard!

When the engine is running, the oil does get pumped to the top of the engine and won't be visible on the dipstick if the levels are low to begin with. That's why you saw oil the morning after as the oil flows back to the sump which is why you can only check the oil levels when the engine is at operating temperature and engine stopped for at least 5-10mins for the oil to settle back to the sump.

That's not to say oil was or wasn't in there to begin with.

Sit down for this one. I have just picked up my new KX-R May Kluger from a Brisbane dealer (withholding dealers name at this point in good faith that I am treated fairly) and the engine has cooked! No warning lights/bells/whistles/temp gauges went off. I traveled 30km before I lost power and had to pull over. I checked the dipstick and it was dry and steaming. Pulled the filler cap off to smell a burnt engine. Drain plug was still in. This after the car was delivered with a dented rear bar (from the transport company) was enough! New engine approx = $18 000, rear bar approx = $2000 we are up to half the price of the car already. I made sure that the dealer put in a full tank of fuel, but I didn't think that I had to tell him to put in a full tank of oil! I have been told that the best case scenario will be that they buy my car off me and reissue another deal. I have RACQ legals and others helping me as I am not interested in a rebuild after 30km or a new engine, just to get out of this lemon and start again. Which heads roll is not my problem, I have a loan car at the moment and I will be keeping you posted.

I think you should put forward a formal complaint to the QLD consumer affairs - automotive department, if the dealer is refuses to replace your burnt out Kluger for a brand new one, not just a new engine. It's their fault, so why should you pay for it and be ripped off.

It would be reasonable for a consumer to accept a replacement new engine if it had broken down after a year or so (under warranty) with no fault to the driver or to the dealer. But having no oil in the engine from when you picked it up, should prompt them to replace it with a brand new Kluger.

Pure case of negligence on the dealer's behalf. The dealer would lose hands down in court or with consumer affairs/ACCC.

I think you should put forward a formal complaint to the QLD consumer affairs - automotive department, if the dealer is refuses to replace your burnt out Kluger for a brand new one, not just a new engine. It's their fault, so why should you pay for it and be ripped off.

It would be reasonable for a consumer to accept a replacement new engine if it had broken down after a year or so (under warranty) with no fault to the driver or to the dealer. But having no oil in the engine from when you picked it up, should prompt them to replace it with a brand new Kluger.

Pure case of negligence on the dealer's behalf. The dealer would lose hands down in court or with consumer affairs/ACCC.

well said +1

you'd expect that if you pay for a 'new' car.. you would get what you paid for. that is your right as a consumer purchasing anything. In the case of getting a new car, im pretty sure everyone here can say that it comes from factory full of oil. Brand new 30km driven and cooked engine is just ridiculous.

Yes that does make sense about the hot and cold oil levels. We are now up to it being a sabotage? They believe that water hoses were cut and that the police are now involved. Can a small cut cause fluid to remain when parked and be let go under pressure as there was no leaks underneath at pickup. But how does that explain no lights/bells/whistles and nothing registering on the temp gauge? I will be going to have a look myself when it is on the hoist. I am wanting Toyota to back their product further especially in this case from 3yrs to 5yrs warranty as ford currently does with the territory.

Depends on where the "cut" was made. If it was at the bottom of the radiator, fluids could still remain in the engine as the thermostat closes up as the engine cools down.

If there was no oil, the first thing that will show up is the oil pressure light. If the warning system for oil pressure was functioning, then it will pretty much rule out the lack of oil in the engine.

• 2 weeks later...

this is one of the reason why i hate that we dont have lemon laws in australia .... in the US u would have a brand new car by now.

It is possible for a cut in a hose to not leak under no load but to open up under load ........ basically by loading up the engine increases the rubber hoses pressure & expands the rubber and walla the cut opens up and it leaks ...... but yeah this sounds to me like a straight case.

I wouldnt settle for a new engine hit them up for a new car ...... no way could they win given the car was on the road for 1 day and then blew up.

• 2 months later...