1jz vs 2jz

glowstreet

hey im guna buy a supra soon. and i was wondering which engine is the best/cheap to take care of and modify. thanks

Which model Supra? If it's a JZA80 then you're only going to get the 2JZ, if you want a stock 1JZ Supra then you're limited to the JZA70 (which aren't super common compared to the JZA80).

Apart from that, they are pretty much identical as far as reliability and mod-ability goes, the 2JZ has more support but the 1JZ isn't left in the dark by far.

2JZ is better in every way, but they cost more, because they're newer.

If I was stuck with a 1JZ I wouldn't be complaining tho (and I am heh).

Technically the 2JZ engine is only 1 year newer than a 1JZ (1JZ was 1990, 2JZ was 1991), and both were sold all the way though until the mid 2000s

2JZ is better in every way, but they cost more, because they're newer.

If I was stuck with a 1JZ I wouldn't be complaining tho (and I am heh).

Technically the 2JZ engine is only 1 year newer than a 1JZ (1JZ was 1990, 2JZ was 1991), and both were sold all the way though until the mid 2000s

Still newer, nyah! :lol:

Theres more reasons as to why they cost more, but thats the easiest one to mention.

• 1 year later...

ive heard 2j vs rb26 or 1j vs 7m or 4g63 or sr20 but not 1j vs 2j. they really aren't comparable engines. the 2j is in a different class that is usually compared to the rb26dett.

• 4 months later...

If you have the cash for a 2JZ (JZA80) supra (and supporting mods if you want to do them) I would go for that.

Newer and nicer looking (IMO) car, a LOT of after market support and a damn near bulletproof engine (the 1JZ is in a similar league though)

• 1 year later...

Hi people im new to all this forum stuff,

I have a 1jz and have had a couple in the past,

however this one that I have at the moment I am unaware of how to go about finding a history on it, where it came from/ out of and what year. would the engine number be trackable some where?

Firstly, do you have a twin-turbo or single-turbo model? Twin-turbos will be from a JZA70, JZX80/90 or early JZZ30. Single-turbo w/ VVTi will be from a late JZZ30, JZX100/110 and JZS170.

Past that, assuming it is completely stock (and hasn't been installed in a different car yet), looking at the sump can be a reasonable way of determining as their are 2-3 different sumps (front, mid, rear etc) depending on which model it came from.