OBDII READER FOR ZZE COROLLAS (NOW WORKING!)

just found this...

http://www.obdsa.com/elm327.htm

GG for the sportivo made in south africa Sigh.gif

Pif.gif

really peeves me off... why the hell would they make the zze corolla different to all the other corollas out there? doesn't make sense to me.

so now we know this thing doesn't bloody work on our south african made zze corolla. the question is WHAT PROTOCOL DO THEY USE???????

Ok folks update.

i've went so far as to ring toyota south africa and spoke with "keith" the corolla sportivo equivalent is the same as the corolla RSi in south africa. keith said that the OBDII/DLC3 diagnostic device is needed to read the ecu codes and stuff to the laptop. i got cut off short so i will give them an email or a call tomorrow afternoon and see what they say. at last some light at the end of the tunnel...

sent an email to toyota south africa and awaiting their reply now

according to this website --> click here, it says that the stivos are ISO15765(CAN) protocol. why then this cable doesn't work i have no clue.

FYI - our stivos have pins in the 4,5,6,7,9,13,14,16

• 5 months later...

Will this device work on my 1996 Corolla? :huh:

Where can I find the port? There is one under the hood which says Diagnosis on it but I don't think it's the right one?

Thanks

Camrolla

Edited by camrolla

i think urs might be OBD I but dont quote that with me. pre-2001 different countries all had their own OBD reading. some had OBD II type plugs but didnt work with the OBD II readers -_-

Sorry, were you referring to me? :huh:

Thanks

i think urs might be OBD I but dont quote that with me. pre-2001 different countries all had their own OBD reading. some had OBD II type plugs but didnt work with the OBD II readers -_-

Sorry, were you referring to me? :huh:

Thanks

yes.

• 1 year later...

alright, lets bump this old tread up.

So i've decided to have a crack at this again. only this time the cable i bought isn't an ELM327 but a cable that is a copy of the genuine toyota techstream (TIS) program that they use in teh dealerships. only cost me 30 bucks from ebay.

So let's revisit that pesky OBDII connector the sportivos have. These holes are occupied 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 13, 14, 16.

Onthe OBDII explained website the connectors are as follows:

4 - Chassis Ground

5 - Signal Ground

6 - CAN High (ISO 15765-4 and SAE-J2234)

7 - K line of ISO 9141-2 and ISO 14230-4

9 - Toyota discretion (unknown)

13 - Toyota discretion (unknown)

14 - CAN Low (ISO 15765-4 and SAE-J2234)

16 - +ve battery

Now, I have a little gadget called the "Apexi imoni" It reads the engine's RPM, Speed, Intake Temperature, and Water Temperature. The instructions say it can rear the voltage too but not on the ZZE123 Runx/Sportivo (totally does not make any sense to me as its feeding power to the gadget itself.)

anyways! it has the following connectors occupied: 4, 7, 8,16.

pin 8 isn't used in our cars so we can ignore that.

7 is the K line protocol. So my assumption is that we have the K line protocol. Although it could be the CAN too but maybe as the plugs from the ELM327 also plug into the CAN high and low (pins 6 and14) it could be confusing the plug. Also the pin holes 9 and 13 are occupied and we don'y know what these are for yet.

However as the imoni only needs pins 4, 7, and 16 to read the above parameters my guess that its the K line protocol.

confused yet? :)

anyways, lets see if this cable works or else i would have thrown 30 bucks away...

Reason why i've revisited this is that i would like to actually record data and export them on pc so i can super impose them on videos (ie. track)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

BUMP... joined purely for this topic. I have a ELM327 myself that I bought a few months ago, but sadly it has not worked on a single car I owned so far. Works on most of my friends cars, using the TORQUE app for android on my S3 and it's quite good.

Also just bought a 2004 sportivo in mint condition :clap: and I'm likely to change the head unit sometime soon (mostly for satnav and bluetooth calls/music). So just thought it'd be awesome if I could somehow hack the OBD to work on the sportivo.. then interface it with the head unit of the car so I can have all the dials right there :spiteful: I'm an electronics apprentice, so any soldering/rewiring of the OBD will be a piece of cake..

BUMP... joined purely for this topic. I have a ELM327 myself that I bought a few months ago, but sadly it has not worked on a single car I owned so far. Works on most of my friends cars, using the TORQUE app for android on my S3 and it's quite good.

Also just bought a 2004 sportivo in mint condition :clap: and I'm likely to change the head unit sometime soon (mostly for satnav and bluetooth calls/music). So just thought it'd be awesome if I could somehow hack the OBD to work on the sportivo.. then interface it with the head unit of the car so I can have all the dials right there :spiteful: I'm an electronics apprentice, so any soldering/rewiring of the OBD will be a piece of cake..

thats interesting... let us know how to go.

meanwhile... the people who apparently send the OBDII/DLC3 cable just refund me the money. looks like they never sent it -_- so i will purchase another one and then hopefully will get it soonish. track day on sunday so definitely wont be getting it before then :(

• 3 weeks later...

SUCCESS!!! I HAVE IT WORKING!!!

will play around with it more and update on the situation. So far I can confirm that the sportivo is OBDII complaint and works with the DLC3 cable. there are some problems i'm trying to figure out but will update on this soon.

ok guys, so i'm gonna go through what i've done with this new gadget. it's pretty cool at the moment but i think i've pretty much nutted everything out using the toyota's techstream program

u need the OBDII DLC3 (data link connector type 3) for the sportivo and possibly the japan made zze corollas as well (will confirm once my dietitian lends me her corolla :spiteful: )

DLC3ebaycable_zpsdde1ca94.jpg

For XP users, just install the file from the driver on the cd. For Vista/Win7 and 8 users, you need to search for the driver manually and install it in. once you do, you will have to restart the computer and run techstream and choose the right VIM in the menu.

so when u follow the instructions on the CD manual and installed everything in, connect the cable into the computer and into the OBDII port on the car.

turn the key to ignition ON but dont turn on the engine. ABS will be disabled as the VIM is communicating with the ABS ecu. the ABS light will stay on. this is no cause for concern.

turn on techstream and choose "Other" as the country region then follow the prompts and choose Australia and make up some name for yourself (backyard mechanic or some shit)

click "connect to vehicle" and this should pop up

1_zpsf34ab088.jpg

then it goes to this.

2_zpsb4d9aa91.jpg

the techstream auto detects your car so in this case you cant choose any other options.

for japan u can choose runx/allex, europe (tsport), north american region (matrix XRS) etc.

just click next and then you will be brought on to the main menu where it shows all your ecu functions etc.

3_zps17c2e32c.jpg

now is probably the best time to check if your cable is working ok, go to help and check DLC cable.

now as the cable is checking the pins, be sure to give it some time (10 seconds or so) before hitting next as it gives it time to test the pins out. this is the final result with my sportivo...

preliminarytestingDLC3_zpsa2c10353.jpg

as you can see it uses the K protocol as suspected above :)

now if for some reason it doesnt work, just close everything and open techstream again and go through it again.

if all is well time for some live time reading! :)

now see the engine and ECT in yellow, double click this and will bring you to this screen

4_zps9994e0e7.jpg

click data list and be patient...

then you get all the information from the ecu in real time! :clap:

printfinaldata_zpsdd32d119.jpg

but u see the refresh rate on the bottom is like almost 4 seconds or something. just delete some variables and you can increase the refresh rate...

here is what i only need for my car

5_zpsf883ff57.jpg

refresh rate is around 900ms, not too bad (so updates every 1 second)

thats it :)

what i found out about this techstream is i cannot record the variables for more than 90 seconds... track session is 15 minutes ;) but i will continue to play with this and see what i can do. other programs dont seem to work with this cable but i havent tried hard enough. this is a clear victory finally after many years of trying different cables. at least i cleared the fault codes on my ecu so now its running all clean ;)

i will pin this on top of the corolla section for a while since a lot of people are interested in this.

have fun guys! :D

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hi Kenshin,

Thanks for making this discovery! I bought an ultragauge for my stivo a few months back and found that it didn't work possibly because of the pinouts on the D-Type connector or Toyotas own propriety standard.

UltraGauge supports all OBDII protocols including:

J1850 VPM Early GM & Chrysler Ford Early Ford 9141 Early Chrysler and Foreign KWP 2000 Rare, various 11-bit CAN Most 2008 and newer 29-bit CAN Most 2008 and newer Honda & Volvo

I think the KWP 2000 has the same pinouts as theISO 9141-2

• ISO 9141-2/KWP2000 --The connector should have metallic contacts in pins 4, 5, 7, 15, and 16.

Is there any way i can get the ultragauge to work with our stivo?

would something like this make it work:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/KIA-20-Pin-to-OBD-OBD2-OBDII-DLC-16-Pin-Car-Diagnostic-Adapter-Converter-Cable-/291052104119?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43c40ea9b7&_uhb=1

the reason i want to use the ultragauge is because i can see the data in real time while driving.

thanks alot for your help

mo

nah i dont think there are many which work. unless you buy the really expensive ones. never had experience with the one you mentioned.

What's so special about this one? is it the connector or the software??

ok guys, so i'm gonna go through what i've done with this new gadget. it's pretty cool at the moment but i think i've pretty much nutted everything out using the toyota's techstream program

u need the OBDII DLC3 (data link connector type 3) for the sportivo and possibly the japan made zze corollas as well (will confirm once my dietitian lends me her corolla :spiteful: )

DLC3ebaycable_zpsdde1ca94.jpg

For XP users, just install the file from the driver on the cd. For Vista/Win7 and 8 users, you need to search for the driver manually and install it in. once you do, you will have to restart the computer and run techstream and choose the right VIM in the menu.

so when u follow the instructions on the CD manual and installed everything in, connect the cable into the computer and into the OBDII port on the car.

turn the key to ignition ON but dont turn on the engine. ABS will be disabled as the VIM is communicating with the ABS ecu. the ABS light will stay on. this is no cause for concern.

turn on techstream and choose "Other" as the country region then follow the prompts and choose Australia and make up some name for yourself (backyard mechanic or some shit)

click "connect to vehicle" and this should pop up

1_zpsf34ab088.jpg

then it goes to this.

2_zpsb4d9aa91.jpg

the techstream auto detects your car so in this case you cant choose any other options.

for japan u can choose runx/allex, europe (tsport), north american region (matrix XRS) etc.

just click next and then you will be brought on to the main menu where it shows all your ecu functions etc.

3_zps17c2e32c.jpg

now is probably the best time to check if your cable is working ok, go to help and check DLC cable.

now as the cable is checking the pins, be sure to give it some time (10 seconds or so) before hitting next as it gives it time to test the pins out. this is the final result with my sportivo...

preliminarytestingDLC3_zpsa2c10353.jpg

as you can see it uses the K protocol as suspected above :)

now if for some reason it doesnt work, just close everything and open techstream again and go through it again.

if all is well time for some live time reading! :)

now see the engine and ECT in yellow, double click this and will bring you to this screen

4_zps9994e0e7.jpg

click data list and be patient...

then you get all the information from the ecu in real time! :clap:

printfinaldata_zpsdd32d119.jpg

but u see the refresh rate on the bottom is like almost 4 seconds or something. just delete some variables and you can increase the refresh rate...

here is what i only need for my car

5_zpsf883ff57.jpg

refresh rate is around 900ms, not too bad (so updates every 1 second)

thats it :)

what i found out about this techstream is i cannot record the variables for more than 90 seconds... track session is 15 minutes ;) but i will continue to play with this and see what i can do. other programs dont seem to work with this cable but i havent tried hard enough. this is a clear victory finally after many years of trying different cables. at least i cleared the fault codes on my ecu so now its running all clean ;)

i will pin this on top of the corolla section for a while since a lot of people are interested in this.

have fun guys! :D

What other info dos it show u? Does it show you L/100km and also instant fuel usage?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Got mine running so far without any dramas(V8.10.021)..Running Windows 7 Home Edition(32 Bit)....Works on both my 2001 V6 Camry and 2005 Corolla...Happy Chappy...

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Kenshin,

I'm interested in getting one of these - just wondering what does the red boxes in the cable check utility mean? Does it mean it's damaged?