Painting Engine

Hi guys,

I'm looking to do some cheap "mods" to my car and one thing that I've seen being done is painting of the engine cover

232057_38_full.jpg

Looks really good and easy to do as well. I plan to paint my brake calipers as well.

Now the only thing is, what paint should I use? What kind of paint or spray paint will be able to take the heat of the engine without cracking up?

I used some $20 engine paint for high temperatures but it still comes off especially when i first tried to install the CAI and left tools on it etc. I think it needs to be baked like a bumper since it's plastic and the paint doesent stick to it that good.

I have had mine done properly by a Panel Beaters/Spray Painter shop ...thanks to my father in Law (who owns the shop) .....Cost me nothing....Mine is all red with silver writing still left as standard.

if you want your engine cover painted i think you should get it painted professionally or just leave it plain. most of the time people have their engine cover painted when some other part needs painting too.

the engine cover would need the right primer before using regular spray paint for maximum adhesion.

here is a cheap mod for you. i have brand new chrome finish and a anodised red finish oil caps for corolla. this cap is found in the engine cover. are you interested in this item?

I've read some stuff about the best way to paint the valve cover. They mentioned that you should use a primer first, than 2 coats of high temperature paint. I'm interested to give a shot, after all if I botch it up it's under the hood and that's fine.

I'm thinking of painting my brake calipers as well. I think red calipers on a white car with white rim wheels are absolutely HOT!!!

paint the engine cover yourself if you like or use a professional spray painter for $50.00

you probably need to spend that much for primers and spray paint when you do it yourself.

mechanics like to put their tools on your engine cover when they service your car therefore you will likely gain scratches here unless you tell your mechanic to be careful of your engine cover or just service the car yourself from now on.

here is a cheap mod for you. i have brand new chrome finish and a anodised red finish oil caps for corolla. this cap is found in the engine cover. are you interested in this item?

Will love to have the red finish oil caps for the engine cover...cos I'm wanting to paint the cover white and the words red.

after coat of something is not needed because your engine cover is not exposed to weather.

the important thing is the right primer. plastic expands when hot and if you do not use the right primer when your engine cover gets hot your paint could crack up.

save $ and use no primer (professional would not gaurantee their work). spend $ for the right primer and have an excellent finish engine cover.

one more cheap mod is to install mesh in your front air dam. minimise insects and rocks hitting your radiator. i have aluminium mesh size 120 x 20 cm. small diamond profile and large diamond profile. black finish and chrome finish.

I have had mine done properly by a Panel Beaters/Spray Painter shop ...thanks to my father in Law (who owns the shop) .....Cost me nothing....Mine is all red with silver writing still left as standard.

Hey Peekay,

Do you think you could get him to do mine as well? :D Mate's rates yah?

a few days ago i posted $50.00 for e-gene's reference. e-gene still asked for pricing so i believe e-gene is shopping for a cheaper $$$ which is reasonable to do so.

i thought i would save you time and effort in consulting your company by remarking my $50.00 post. please remember e-gene started this thread stating

"I'm looking to do some cheap "mods" to my car" so i think my $50.00 post stands.

if top class quality is desired i have organised a mitsubishi mirage FULL interior airbrushed with hr giger

http://www.hrgiger.com/

i will post pictures if anyone is interested in seeing it. but this thread is not for big bucks, cheap is the key word. e-gene please note that cheap does not mean second rate goods for me. $50.00 is first rate.

Man, the guys from the forum are simply ace. I feel so well taken care of, and I haven't even met any of these guys yet.

orrock: Thanks for "standing" up for me and trying to get the best deal possible, you're a champ

Peekay34: Thanks for helping me ask your FIL about painting the engine cover, and you're right, there is no need to compete and yes, each place is different.

Guys, you've been awesome. Now if only I could get my engine cover painted :D

Mine has been painted properly with the letters masked then sprayed in Red with clear over the top then carefully leftt to dry in a very low temp oven so $50 would not be worth doing the Spray painters time and masking would cost more.

What about vinal/plastic dye?

if scratched it's still the colour, you can mask off areas you don't want covered, and other cool stuff that doesn't come to mind :huh:

any thoughts why this wouldn't work???

am getting a sportivo soooooooon and was one of the first things i was gonna do.

i have used it with computer stuff, but one of it's main purpose is car interiors, and you buy it from places like auto barn

I've seen dyes used for interiors as well, but I don't think that they are meant for hgih temperature plastics like the engine cover. Anyway, saw some paints at Autobarn and will probably get them to experiment. Anyone wants to give me a hand?

How do I get the cover off? :(