Toyota Kluger alloy nudge bar

TheBroker

Hi, does anyone know or heard anything about the current alloy nudge bar issue of Toyota? I ordered it as part of an option but during delivery a couple of weeks ago the dealer did not attach it saying there's a "design/quality issue" on it and they are not sure when will they install it.

Any idea? I tried to ring other Toyota dealer and they also said they are not sure when will the nudge bar be ready, probably next month, next year???

Yep.. I have heard about the quality issue leading to a shortage of stock.

I enquired at the dealer about how much a nudge bar would be, and the guy told me that sourcing it would be a problem as there were quality issues and they weren't sure when they would get stock.

This was about 2 months ago.

Thanks for the reply... So I assume this quality issue only affects all nudge bar on-order from July (2months ago) onwards..I wonder how about the existing ones they released before that (which some of you out there is currently using!)... I wonder what is that quality issue........

Edited by TheBroker

Thanks for the reply... So I assume this quality issue only affects all nudge bar on-order from July (2months ago) onwards..I wonder how about the existing ones they released before that (which some of you out there is currently using!)... I wonder what is that quality issue........

I have had the Nudge Bar fitted from new (Feb 2008) and I have had no issues with it yet. Then I would not expect any as it does nothing unless it is impacted. I was assured by Toyota when I bought it that the Nudge Bar was air-bag compliant, so I wonder what the quality issues are ? Are they falling off?

Hi, does anyone know or heard anything about the current alloy nudge bar issue of Toyota? I ordered it as part of an option but during delivery a couple of weeks ago the dealer did not attach it saying there's a "design/quality issue" on it and they are not sure when will they install it.

Any idea? I tried to ring other Toyota dealer and they also said they are not sure when will the nudge bar be ready, probably next month, next year???

Hit a roo dead centre with mine, had braked, but still hit the roo pretty hard, threw the roo forward and hit it again, not a mark on the car or nudge bar, saved me a messed up front panel I'm sure.

Hi, finally found the reason why the nudge bar was delayed. It's not a backorder (or out of stock issue) but a quality issue as what the toyota parts sales rep told me last week. The problem is they found out that the air bag will not deploy during a crash test with those nudge bar fitted. He didn't tell me if all previous nudge bar they released are affected or not.

The problem here is, if you have a nudge bar currently installed on your kluger, there's no way you can check if it's ok or not unless you intentionally crush your kluger and check if the air bag will deploy or not!!

:(

I can't imagine that being 100% the truth. If a safety item like front airbags were potentially being prevented from working properly by a genuine accessory, there would have been a massive recall on them. Not ever would you hear "Well, we think it potentially will stop your airbags from going off, but we're not sure. The only way to know is to drive into something fast and hard and see what happens." from Toyota. Especially after the accelerator/floormat problems in the states!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, finally found the reason why the nudge bar was delayed. It's not a backorder (or out of stock issue) but a quality issue as what the toyota parts sales rep told me last week. The problem is they found out that the air bag will not deploy during a crash test with those nudge bar fitted. He didn't tell me if all previous nudge bar they released are affected or not.

The problem here is, if you have a nudge bar currently installed on your kluger, there's no way you can check if it's ok or not unless you intentionally crush your kluger and check if the air bag will deploy or not!!

:(

That's rubbish sorry!

The reason for delay is that Toyota have requested a design change (same style/appearance) and it takes time for the supplier to create new tooling.

If it were about airbags, there would be a total sales stop and recall of all vehicles to remove them until a fix is known (like the Land Cruiser 200 bullbar mounting brackets).

• 3 weeks later...