Oil is black

Silver-Aurion

So, I checked my oil today and it is getting quite black. And I need someone to help me to decide to change it or not! Reason I ask is that I don't do 15,000K a year and so all of my services would be by date, not KM.

My last service was 60K and now I'm sitting on 66,000. It would take me at least another couple of months to cover 1500KM for my 67500 additional service. But upon inspection my oil is quite black. Kind of like this dude :ph34r:

My next scheduled service is next year on April (forth month). But I don't want to wait that long because the oil is looking very unhealthy.

I will be doing this additional service myself and do my scheduled service at my mechanic to get the log book stamped as I am still under warranty.

Soooo, what should I do :S. Wait(If I wait, my next service is still 7 months away, counting from october), service it myself, etc :help::unsure:

To be honest, if I had the money I wouldn't even think twice about not doing it but since I am strapped for cash these days it's a hard choice.

edit: Reason for why my oil would be black so quickly after only 6000KM since last service would be because I start stop my car a lot and it does a lot of short trips (its mainly local).

double edit: I'll be using Penrite HPR5. This **** costs a pretty penny. If you think there is better oil around the same price ($46 for 5 litres) please do tell :)

Edited by unique

So, I checked my oil today and it is getting quite black. And I need someone to help me to decide to change it or not! Reason I ask is that I don't do 15,000K a year and so all of my services would be by date, not KM.

My last service was 60K and now I'm sitting on 66,000. It would take me at least another couple of months to cover 1500KM for my 67500 additional service. But upon inspection my oil is quite black. Kind of like this dude :ph34r:

My next scheduled service is next year on April (forth month). But I don't want to wait that long because the oil is looking very unhealthy.

I will be doing this additional service myself and do my scheduled service at my mechanic to get the log book stamped as I am still under warranty.

Soooo, what should I do :S. Wait(If I wait, my next service is still 7 months away, counting from october), service it myself, etc :help::unsure:

To be honest, if I had the money I wouldn't even think twice about not doing it but since I am strapped for cash these days it's a hard choice.

edit: Reason for why my oil would be black so quickly after only 6000KM since last service would be because I start stop my car a lot and it does a lot of short trips (its mainly local).

double edit: I'll be using Penrite HPR5. This **** costs a pretty penny. If you think there is better oil around the same price ($46 for 5 litres) please do tell :)

With the type of driving you are doing, short trips, stop start etc which I would recon be classified as extreme I would suggest you check your owners manual which should recommend earlier oil changes for such conditions. Probably be wise to change your oil every 6 months eg: 7500Ks.If you have just changed your oil from non or semi synthetic to a fully synthetic oil, the change could quite possibly be the reason for the oil turning black, due to better scavenging of sediments left by the other oils.

why not buy the oil , buy the filter and change yourself or have a VIC member help you out!

+2. penrite hpr5 ftw. im running it in my engine now and i'm finally able to change every 10,000km. even after yday's cruise of hard driving, the oil is still looking honey comb colour. it did consume abit of oil but thats expected. esp of a 7 yr old car

That is unusual for oil to discolour that quick, as you know mine is a cab so there are a lot of starting and short trips and I service at 15k intervals, the oil is darker as you would expect, but not black.

Every 7500 km I change oil and oil filter myself and then take car to mechanic for the book service.

This is essentially what I wanted to know. Did you end up going to those guys to get the service done?

Also, thanks for everyone else who replied. Appreciate it. Will see what I do when I creep closer to the service time.

That is unusual for oil to discolour that quick, as you know mine is a cab so there are a lot of starting and short trips and I service at 15k intervals, the oil is darker as you would expect, but not black.

Yeah, but your engine is probably hot a lot of the time. Sometimes I make it to my destination without the car at 100% operating temperature.

• 3 weeks later...

Every 7500 km I change oil and oil filter myself and then take car to mechanic for the book service.

This is essentially what I wanted to know. Did you end up going to those guys to get the service done?

Also, thanks for everyone else who replied. Appreciate it. Will see what I do when I creep closer to the service time.

Sorry I should refrase it . I do 7500km (or 6 months) oil and filter change and every 15000km I take car for the book service. I also provide my own oil Super GTO 10W-30. However I will be looking to change it to fully synthetic one.

Yes I went there and had my transmission serviced. They did a proper flush as well. Also I got them to install new disks and brake pads.

On top of that they were more than happy for me to be there and observe the whole process.

Also I always change oil while engine is hot. When I come home from work (24km drive) I remove engine oil cup and oil dipstick and then straight under the car and drain the hot oil (use thick rubber glow for a protection). Have a shower, diner and watch tv for a while. 2 hours later I go back and complete oil change. I know it might be a little overkill but it really does a trick. After replacing oil with the new one I can hardly see where is the oil level on the stick. This is what I hate about dealer service. They leave the car in the yard for the period of time and then change oil while the engine is cold and not allowing for the proper drainage.

Edited by czaja74

...2 hours later I go back and complete oil change. I know it might be a little overkill but it really does a trick.

That's not overkill, leaving it for around 5-6 hours like I sometimes do is.