Tyres for the Camry... aaahhhh spoilt for choice.

Andrew357

Well, my Maxxis MA-V1s are on the tail end of their life so it is time to upgrade. Willing to spend more dough, but unfortunately I am spoilt for choice.

Getting a quote for a few models from my local, but I'm having difficulty making a final decision. Top 3 factors of the tyre are dry grip, wet grip + longevity.

I am getting prices for the following tyres in 18" 235/40/18, load min 92:

- Federal 595 (used to be 595ss)

- Federal 595EVO

- Dunlop Sport Maxx GT

- Goodyear Eagle F1 ASYM

- Continental ContiSportContact 5P

- Bridgestone Adrenalin Potenza Re001

- Michelin Pilot Sport III

- Kumho KU36

- Yokohama S Drive

- ADVAN Sport

Can anyone post their experiences with any of these tyres at all? I really don't know which way I will go.

You will need to make a slight tradeoff with longevity is you want better than average grip (depending on how much extra grip than average you are looking for)... especially for a FWD. The following are my thoughts based on experience with them on a larger car (ie. my Aurion):

- Dunlop Sport Maxx GT

- Bridgestone Adrenalin Potenza Re001

- Yokohama S Drive

Dunlop - A suitable alternative to a good all-rounder in my opinion. Provides fairly good grip under normal driving conditions in the dry, and provides even better grip once some heat is put into them (ie. mountain run driving). It does leave more to be desired though in terms of wet weather grip, but under normal driving, it's enough to keep you on the road. I would rate it slightly better than average for wet conditions.

Bridgestone - Excellent dry grip but only once they are warm. I would rate their grip under normal driving conditions in the dry to be average. Wet weather grip isn't really a strong point with these tires. I would rate them as slightly less than average in the wet.

Yokohama - Better dry weather grip than the Dunlops in both normal driving conditions and spirited driving conditions. Wet weather performance is about average so a step better than the Dunlops. They are a soft compound tire so don't expect them to last long. Using them on the fronts only... expect about 25,000km out of them. They also make a bit more road noise than the two above.

If I had to pick one of those three that I have listed above, I would have to go with the Adrenalins. Despite the wet weather performance being slightly less than average, they make up for it in dry weather grip. That said, that is only if I had to choose from those three. In my case however, I am getting neither of them again. This time around, I am going to go for the 595EVO's to see how they go.

Also, if I was to add to this, I would avoid the KU36's unless you intend on changing them rather often. They don't quite have a reputation for longevity. Also, they aren't exactly the best in the wet, but they aren't the worst either. As well, if you are considering the Federals there, you may as well rule the 595SS out because the 595EVO would more than likely be the better option out of the two.

I had the Yokohama Advan Sports 103 on my Aurion and they were a great tyre in both wet & dry conditions but the price was bloody crazy for what you got as i'm now finding with the cheaper Toyo T1R's,these Toyo's are fantastic and the wet grip is superb to say the least,the only complaint if i have one is the side walls are soft and you can sorta feel it at low speed full lock turning but other than that they work a treat. :)

if i dont go the EVO595 next time i will definatley buy T1R's again

Also, if I was to add to this, I would avoid the KU36's unless you intend on changing them rather often. They don't quite have a reputation for longevity. Also, they aren't exactly the best in the wet, but they aren't the worst either. As well, if you are considering the Federals there, you may as well rule the 595SS out because the 595EVO would more than likely be the better option out of the two.

This.

The KU36's are basically a semi slick, so they are quite soft. They will kick the shit out of all of the aboved mentioned tyres in the dry, and they are probably slightly better than the RE001s in the wet, but you will be changing them often.

That seems to be the general opinion on the Kumho and the Advan ones as well.

The tyre dude really spoke highly of the Michelin, bur i won't be making any choices at least until i get my prices oday

Go the adrenalines if you have those 3 points in mind.

Mine has done about 45000+km and yes they are getting a bit scruffy. And you have witness what type of abuse they get too :P. I'd say you will like the grip of them too. Only 2 times they let go was when I was on doing very heavy braking/turning on the white line that night at nebo.

I'm only thinking of going kumhos because the car only chews through 15,000km at year :P

- Federal 595 (used to be 595ss) - $157

- Federal 595EVO - Can't remember

- Dunlop Sport Maxx GT - $408

- Goodyear Eagle F1 ASYM - High 300's

- Continental ContiSportContact 5P - mid $300

- Bridgestone Adrenalin Potenza Re001 - ~$380

- Michelin Pilot Sport III - $267

- Kumho KU36 - Can't remember

- Yokohama S Drive - High 300's

- ADVAN Sport - Can't remember.

Will probably go the Michelins. They get a good wrap and going by reviews, I can't go past their value.

999 Automotive

Address: 3/806 Beaudesert Road, COOPERS PLAINS, QLD 4108

Ph(07) 3272 999

235/40/18 95W $210.00

try these guys out :)

hopes that helps

They did my 5sp swap for me. They are good but I dont think they do Michelins.

Nankangs FTW!! 235/40/18, only 175 when I had them lol.

Edited by STYLSH