Aurion preferred idle speed (warm engine) ?

Auri 7

Hi guys, I'm new here.

I have been lurking for a couple of months since I got my Aurion SE, and I've picked up some good hints and helpers for the future already.

I absolutely love the car.

On topic: I've noticed, that my technician had upped my idle revs slightly after the first service.

This has some advantages, some disadvantages, and I'm in two minds as where I should settle down at.

Pros of HIGHER idling revs:

- smoother start off the line.

Cons of HIGHER idling revs:

- slightly more fuel consumption.

- less engine braking - therefore more footwork needed - more brake usage. This is also evident while driving with Cruise Control engaged. The car likes to run away downhills more than at lower idling revs.

Pros of LOWER idling revs:

- more engine braking, when foot off the accelerator, (gears even auto-switch down, which I quite liked).

Cons of LOWER idling revs:

- a slight "stutter" has to be overcome on takeoff.

ATM my idle sits at just under 800 (warm engine), just looking at the analogue gauge.

I'd love to hear about your idle speeds, or your preferences, or maybe some info on official service settings.

Cheers !

Mine is 'set' exactly the same as it left the factory. Idle at operating temperature in neutral of about 600-650RPM with in gear idle maybe even a touch higher than that.

Absolutely no problems with it whatsoever and no intentions to try and adjust it either.

...or maybe some info on official service settings.

For reference, the service specification for the 2GR-FE idle speed in neutral is 600-700RPM.

And out of curiosity, what did your technician do to increase the idle revs? The 2GR is set to automatically control it's idle within original specification with no intention for adjustment. The Idle Control System (ICS) component of the Electronic Throttle Control System (ETCS) actually monitors the idle RPM to ensure that it is within specification and if it is too far out of specification, you will end up with a MIL/CEL.

Mine is 'set' exactly the same as it left the factory. Idle at operating temperature in neutral of about 600-650RPM with in gear idle maybe even a touch higher than that.

Absolutely no problems with it whatsoever and no intentions to try and adjust it either.

...or maybe some info on official service settings.

For reference, the service specification for the 2GR-FE idle speed in neutral is 600-700RPM.

And out of curiosity, what did your technician do to increase the idle revs? The 2GR is set to automatically control it's idle within original specification with no intention for adjustment. The Idle Control System (ICS) component of the Electronic Throttle Control System (ETCS) actually monitors the idle RPM to ensure that it is within specification and if it is too far out of specification, you will end up with a MIL/CEL.

Thanks for the quick answer, DJKOR !

I'll monitor it for a week or two and see, how I go.

Initially my engine died off a couple of times per week (idling), so I guess the technician noticed a low idle speed. I also got caught out on E10 once, which could've made a difference. (no more BP for me, since they don't mark their bowsers properly, the sneaks).

Anyway, thanks for the info !

I don't know for sure, whether he did any adjustments.

The difference after the service was so noticeable, I just assumed it.

I'll have a chat to them, when I get there next.

There is no permanent way a dealer can change your idle speed.

Disconnecting the battery may have lost any ECU learning? Possibly related, I had a battery that was basically flat, so swapped it into the car. The idle speed was higher during driving and in neutral (when hot). The fuel economy went up as a result of the charging. Which reminds me, it's time to swap it back!

Other thoughts ... Was your air conditioner turned off, or your coolant temperature could be lower than when you previously noticed. The ambient air could be warmer or your fuel quality could be lower - As determined by the magnitude of sensors.

Or it could be placebo ...

There is no permanent way a dealer can change your idle speed.

Well, if you tinker with your TB you can... but there is a reason why there is epoxy in place to prevent adjustment :lol:

I was suspecting an ECU reset as well, but usually after a couple of starts, even without proper idle learning, it's pretty good at picking up the right idle revs. It could have been reset then idled at a higher rev so that it would 'learn' that, but it should adjust as it is driven more and more.

Other thoughts ... Was your air conditioner turned off, or your coolant temperature could be lower than when you previously noticed. The ambient air could be warmer or your fuel quality could be lower - As determined by the magnitude of sensors.

Or it could be placebo ...

I'd be happy, if it was placebo (as long as I knew, lol).

Airconditioning: always on.

Fuel quality: could've been a factor at some stage (see other post).

coolant temperature: not likely, as I drive for hours.

That leaves the noticeable difference between "before" and "after".

It also leaves the gauge sitting at just under 800, where in the first week or two it sat at just under 700.

What do other peoples gauges show? (Not that an in-car gauge will always be correct).

last time brought my aurion to a Toyota dealer for the first month check up, i asked the guy at the counter whether the idle speed can be altered or not and he said no. I'm not sure what happened to yours Auri. to answer your question, the idling speed of my aurion often stays around 750rpm and sometimes 800rpm on a cold day, even when it's reached normal operating temperature.

last time brought my aurion to a Toyota dealer for the first month check up, i asked the guy at the counter whether the idle speed can be altered or not and he said no. I'm not sure what happened to yours Auri. to answer your question, the idling speed of my aurion often stays around 750rpm and sometimes 800rpm on a cold day, even when it's reached normal operating temperature.

Thanks, seifer, for the info.

I'll keep an eye on it for a while and talk to the techs, when I see them next.

I'll report back, when I have some news.

Cheers.