Paddle shift on the Aurion

Steven

Sitting in the car, sipping (ie gulping) the scotch has got me thinking of some radical ideas for it.

First up is a way to switch off the traction control with a button. DJKOR mentioned a theory to me in which if you could make the ECU think the front wheels were going at the same speed as the back, then it doesn't matter what the front wheels were doing (ie same effect of turning T/C off, but without the error codes or brake-dancing ritual). I like to keep things neat though, so does anyone know of any T/C switches (from any model vehicle) that wouldn't look out of place in that panel of switches on the right side of the dash, just below the cluster and to the right of the steering wheel?

Also, opinions people - what do we reckon about having a paddle shift on the Aurion? The idea is to wire it up to function the same way as the centre console shifter (in essence you could change gears "sequentially" with both). After being on a mountain cruise as DJKOR's passenger, I saw the console shifter is actually a little inconvenient at times and that a steering wheel paddle shifter like on some sports cars would be more useful (haha Daryl, betcha though I was too busy being scared ****less to notice these things?)

I would need to move the cruise control to facilitate this mod, but do we really need the cruiser control stalk to move with the steering wheel? I'm hardly ever needing to adjust the cruise control with the steering wheel at full lock.

Sitting in the car, sipping (ie gulping) the scotch has got me thinking of some radical ideas for it.

First up is a way to switch off the traction control with a button. DJKOR mentioned a theory to me in which if you could make the ECU think the front wheels were going at the same speed as the back, then it doesn't matter what the front wheels were doing (ie same effect of turning T/C off, but without the error codes or brake-dancing ritual). I like to keep things neat though, so does anyone know of any T/C switches (from any model vehicle) that wouldn't look out of place in that panel of switches on the right side of the dash, just below the cluster and to the right of the steering wheel?

Also, opinions people - what do we reckon about having a paddle shift on the Aurion? The idea is to wire it up to function the same way as the centre console shifter (in essence you could change gears "sequentially" with both). After being on a mountain cruise as DJKOR's passenger, I saw the console shifter is actually a little inconvenient at times and that a steering wheel paddle shifter like on some sports cars would be more useful (haha Daryl, betcha though I was too busy being scared ****less to notice these things?)

I would need to move the cruise control to facilitate this mod, but do we really need the cruiser control stalk to move with the steering wheel? I'm hardly ever needing to adjust the cruise control with the steering wheel at full lock.

You could use a T/C switch from a yaris or corolla?

as for the paddle shift, sounds like an interesting plan...

Great minds think alike. I was thinking about doing a 'paddle shift' type of thing on my last Aurion. The idea was less of paddles, and more of a push button switches. You know those really short travel push buttons? Well I was thinking of mounting it on that plastic at the rear of the steering wheel at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions. Then wiring it up as you said. But at the end of the day, I realised that with the massive delay the Aurion has with gear changes, having quick shift buttons would be a little on the useless side. Up to you what you would like to do however.

haha Daryl, betcha though I was too busy being scared ****less to notice these things?

I figured you would have been paying attention to anything but the road ahead :lol:

Motherf***ers! lol

Here I was keeping this mod quiet until I worked out how to wire it into the steering wheel (anybody remember my clockspring question from months back?). Ah well, looks like the cats outta the bag now. :lol:

Motherf***ers! lol

Here I was keeping this mod quiet until I worked out how to wire it into the steering wheel (anybody remember my clockspring question from months back?). Ah well, looks like the cats outta the bag now. :lol:

I thought of it back in August 2008 :lol:

Motherf***ers! lol

I was working on it since before I posted the pictures in that thread about the spiral cable, but then got distracted by making my own remote start system ...

I am trying to find the right switches, as DJKOR imagined, mounted to the rear surface of the wheel (not paddles).

Plus there is no need to remove the centre console, only the drivers side kick panel plus what is required around the steering column.

I plan to go for a drive in TAS later in the year, so want it finished by then. Once it is done, I'll post the results and a price :D

haha fair nuff, great to see others have been looking into this mod.

Been doing some more research and some fiddling with some spare parts - going to try something really different. Might take some time to get it all together though.

Motherf***ers! lol

lol when i seen the name of this thread i thought haha Foster is not going to be happy when he see's this :P o well atleast you'll all have other people to bounce idea'd off to come up with the best and neatest looking job.

Well, now theres active conversation on it, I might as well share my thoughts with the group.

My assumption is that the current shifter in 'S' mode works like a SPDT centre-off momentary switch. I've not tested this yet, but I'm thinking that if I tap a 2-position momentry switch into the '+' wire of the shifter and press the switch, it should upshift. I'll try and get hold of a switch in the next few days to test this, unless somebody already knows it won't work

Edit: ha, took me so long to write that post that I missed all the other new posts.

Motherf***ers! lol

I was working on it since before I posted the pictures in that thread about the spiral cable, but then got distracted by making my own remote start system ...

I am trying to find the right switches, as DJKOR imagined, mounted to the rear surface of the wheel (not paddles).

Plus there is no need to remove the centre console, only the drivers side kick panel plus what is required around the steering column.

I plan to go for a drive in TAS later in the year, so want it finished by then. Once it is done, I'll post the results and a price :D

I'm planning on using paddles on mine, but using a similar idea. I'm assuming you guys are talking push button switches on the back much like the Mazda 3 SP23? Essentially mine will be the same concept, but I'll be using momentary rocker switches and fitting paddles to them.

Not sure I follow about removing steering column trims and kick panel but not console. What purpose would that serve?

When're you heading to Tas?

Not sure I follow about removing steering column trims and kick panel but not console. What purpose would that serve?

You need to connect the wires somewhere ... I just saying remove only these parts, then reinstall after connecting. This is much less work than removing the centre console and connecting directly to shifter. I know where the wire harness goes, after dismantling an Aurion, so know which pin to connect in to.

Been doing some more research and some fiddling with some spare parts - going to try something really different. Might take some time to get it all together though.

Scratch this idea - it had occurred to me I could just use the entire steering wheel assembly etc from a Lexus IS350 - comes standard with paddle shifters and is a straight bolt up to the Aurion. Even found the complete wheels cheaply enough, however the Lexus airbag is worth a pretty penny and it was a bit of a stretch for the going price of the wheel alone.

That said though, it did give me a few ideas of how to make up my own paddle shifter. Got the steering wheel out of the car this morning and completely disassembled - not as accommodating as the Lexus wheel, but not beyond hope either.

Scratch this idea - it had occurred to me I could just use the entire steering wheel assembly etc from a Lexus IS350 - comes standard with paddle shifters and is a straight bolt up to the Aurion. Even found the complete wheels cheaply enough, however the Lexus airbag is worth a pretty penny and it was a bit of a stretch for the going price of the wheel alone.

That said though, it did give me a few ideas of how to make up my own paddle shifter. Got the steering wheel out of the car this morning and completely disassembled - not as accommodating as the Lexus wheel, but not beyond hope either.

Could you use the aurion airbag with the lexus wheel?

I did think of that, as theyre exactly the same mounting wise, but the cover is a slightly different shape and might not fit - it would be a very expensive gamble: wheel plus airbag would be around $600

You need to connect the wires somewhere ... I just saying remove only these parts, then reinstall after connecting. This is much less work than removing the centre console and connecting directly to shifter. I know where the wire harness goes, after dismantling an Aurion, so know which pin to connect in to.

Ah, this could be useful information. I'd always assumed it went through the wiring harness behind the glove box. Plus I plan on reversing the shifter switch, too, so I was just gonna do all the tapping there while I was at it.

I did think of that, as theyre exactly the same mounting wise, but the cover is a slightly different shape and might not fit - it would be a very expensive gamble: wheel plus airbag would be around $600

How much is the wheel alone?

Perhaps somebody who works in parts have access to the appropriate info to confirm the compatibility of the Aurion airbag in the IS350 wheel? What say you, Mr Adams? :D

How much is the wheel alone?

Perhaps somebody who works in parts have access to the appropriate info to confirm the compatibility of the Aurion airbag in the IS350 wheel? What say you, Mr Adams? :D

I see them new as over $1000 each ... but I don't know 100% the retail price.

Now that sounds greatly tempting, if the Aurion airbag can be fitted to it without effecting its full functionality.

O/T... Is that the bird off the Power Rangers?

Now that sounds greatly tempting, if the Aurion airbag can be fitted to it without effecting its full functionality.

haha c'mon dont pretend you dont know the anser to this lol :P

yeah ok ill see if i can find out but it's likely even that if they are the same or similer the part number will be different becasue there different brands and Aurion's airbags would be sourced locally. But see what i can found out. if it can be made work damm that will make life easy!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300471566606&viewitem=#vi-content

That's the Ebay link from the seller who quoted about $56 postage to Australia. With the awesome exchange rate, that's nearly spot on $310 delivered. Wheel looks to be in pretty good nick too.

I took a look at the Lexus paddles themselves with can be bought separately for around $200, however I can guarantee they won't bolt up to an Aurion Wheel. Lots of **** going on at work at the moment so I won't be able to work on this anymore until next weekend at the earliest.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300471566606&viewitem=#vi-content

That's the Ebay link from the seller who quoted about $56 postage to Australia. With the awesome exchange rate, that's nearly spot on $310 delivered. Wheel looks to be in pretty good nick too.

I took a look at the Lexus paddles themselves with can be bought separately for around $200, however I can guarantee they won't bolt up to an Aurion Wheel. Lots of **** going on at work at the moment so I won't be able to work on this anymore until next weekend at the earliest.

Steve. Please do me a favour and buy that.

... because if you don't, I will.

Steve. Please do me a favour and buy that.

... because if you don't, I will.

Afraid it's yours mate - work is playing games with me so Im not making anymore mods to the car for a little while.

Afraid it's yours mate - work is playing games with me so Im not making anymore mods to the car for a little while.

I have to think about it. The problem with me is that I'm too impulsive on my purchases.

Edit: Looks like my pay this week is a bit better than expected. I'm resisting the urge to get this. I think I have convinced myself not to though. While driving to the loop, I tried to imagine having the paddle shift there. The problem I found is that on the Aurion, the wiper and indicator stalks are a little close to the steering wheel.

I have to think about it. The problem with me is that I'm too impulsive on my purchases.

Edit: Looks like my pay this week is a bit better than expected. I'm resisting the urge to get this. I think I have convinced myself not to though. While driving to the loop, I tried to imagine having the paddle shift there. The problem I found is that on the Aurion, the wiper and indicator stalks are a little close to the steering wheel.

just buy it d.

• 1 month later...