Window tint

delza_6170

I have an '08 aurion sx-6 and I'm looking at getting the windows tinted, I read up somewhere that some tinting film can interfere with the radio antenna, when they are inside the window, as the are in aurions. Can anyone please shed some light on this topic.

Thanks a lot :)

They are referring to metallic tints. A metallic tint can interfere with the radio antenna that is fixed to the rear window glass. It is advised not to use a metallic tint film on the rear window, but this doesn't necessarily mean you can't get away with it. AM will be a bit more sensitive to a metallic tint than FM.

On my last Sportivo, I had Midnight Express window tinting all round (which is a metallic tint) and this had no negative effects on my radio reception. You situation can vary though, so it's your choice.

Also, a search would have yielded this result which has some discussion that could be of use:

Window Tinting advice

ok thanks for the replies guys. I'm thinking about getting an "octane" tint from tint-a-car, its meant to be a 3 layer film and its about $365. The guy said he'd do 35% on the front doors and 20% on the back doors and rear window.

My experience as a tinter, metallised film have very little effect on the radio especially the FM band.

As DJkor stated, most likely the effect will be felt on the lower frequency band such as AM band and this varies between car manufacturers and depending on where the car happens to be used most of the time, eg around the city fringe or say within 30-40kms radius of the CBD.

If people feels deterred because of this possible effect, they can always opt for dyed film. However for obvious reason generally dyed film is inferior to metallised film eg for heat absorption/reflection and fading. So it is up to the individual on how they feel.

We will soon be moving to digital radios and this effect will probably no longer apply in the near future.

Legal is 35% enough said.

You might / might not able to get away with 20%... It's your choice.. You should outweigh the risk and benefit out of it.

i would STRONGLY suggest that you stay at a legal tint darkness... aside from the legality side of things (ie insurance, cops, etc.) you will have trouble seeing out of the window when reversing at night..

i had one step darker than legal on my trd and i literally had to put my windows down to be able to reverse safely at night...

ok then, so what do you guys think about as to the darkness of the tint, coz i read somewhere else that you could get away with 20% on the aurion, what do you guys think?

I myself have gotten a 20% tint on all round. It's been about 5 months now, and have had no problems. But hey, it's only a matter of time?

Personally, if I could go back and choose again.. I'd go the 35%, mainly because I've seen the 35% tint on other Aurions and it's looked just as good.

Stay on the legal side, 35% is all you need.

I got to get my car tinted too..but im trying to decide whats the difference between Octane and Midnight Express? I had midnight express on my old car and as far as i know that is the darkest legal tint, unless this octane is darker? My main question is are both of these the same level of darkness or different?

I am annoyed that you can't tint front windscreens anymore. Never had an issue before. The nanny state rears its ugly head & mandates an ever increasing raft of rules & regulations!

I don't think the rule is stupid. Personally I think you are stupid if you think that tinting your windscreen (below the specified area) is a good idea. I wouldn't want you on the road near me. That's my opinion though so try not to take it personally.

I am annoyed that you can't tint front windscreens anymore. Never had an issue before. The nanny state rears its ugly head & mandates an ever increasing raft of rules & regulations!

I don't think the rule is stupid. Personally I think you are stupid if you think that tinting your windscreen (below the specified area) is a good idea. I wouldn't want you on the road near me. That's my opinion though so try not to take it personally.

Don't worry Daryl, few people seem to love taking your posts personally :lol:

Anyway, I think that guy is onto something. I've read that there is tint that is almost 100% and has the same UV protection has normal tinted windows. This is what I would LOVE for the Aurion. Remember my thread ages ago back in Summer when I was complaining the front is too big and it almost renders the A/C useless.

If I could get that 100% tint with the UV protection to block out heat and harsh rays I would go for it, so yes, it's stupid in a way that its illegal completely and no exception for this 100% tint.

I've seen Bollé Automotive Window Film. It claims to stop heat and to be crystal clear. It might be ideal for the front window.

They mean crystal clear as in clarity. It still has a percentage tint to it.

sorry if this question seems totally retarded and out of left field.. but.... drawing from my knowledge on cycling sunglasses... would there/is there a car tint film which is "photochromatic"? ie. changes darkness/lightness with the conditions? or has this already been done?

sorry if this question seems totally retarded and out of left field.. but.... drawing from my knowledge on cycling sunglasses... would there/is there a car tint film which is "photochromatic"? ie. changes darkness/lightness with the conditions? or has this already been done?

First issue would be cost. I'm not 100% sure what you would be looking at for such a film if it exists, but I'm sure it would cost a bit.

But secondly... and much more importantly is that it won't work. Most modern automotive glass is UV cut which blocks up to 95-97% or so of UV-B and about 35% of UV-A. Problem here is that a window tint goes on the inside of the window, and photo-chromatic coatings react to UV light.

You guys are getting raped in the ***** at those prices!

I can get tint removed and put on for $285, They use Johnson Window Films which in America is more favourable over the usual 3M used by many retailers in Australia.

My provider can provide any percentage of tint for that price.