Stuck oil filter cap

I just went to remove the oil filter cap and when unscrewing it the whole housing came off but the cap didn't. With the whole housing off I tried to remove the cap and it will not come off! It's like it is welded on. I want to put in the new small oring but the cap won't come off..

Any ideas??

Answer quick would be great because it's getting dark outside and the car is sitting on ramps.

photo-2.jpg

edit: Changed topic title so people with this (annoying) problem can find this thread for reference.

Edited by Silver-Aurion

Probably late but a it's easiest done with a pipe wrench or something of equivalence to grip the outer section (not the part where the removal tool fits on but the part above it) then you get your 3/8 inch drive and remove the smaller cap.

Looks like your last service guy did it up much tighter than required... which is only just hand tight basically. Or he thought he would tighten the oil filter cap by putting the drain cap back on and tightening it with his 3/8 inch drive.

Probably late but a it's easiest done with a pipe wrench or something of equivalence to grip the outer section (not the part where the removal tool fits on but the part above it) then you get your 3/8 inch drive and remove the smaller cap.

Looks like your last service guy did it up much tighter than required... which is only just hand tight basically. Or he thought he would tighten the oil filter cap by putting the drain cap back on and tightening it with his 3/8 inch drive.

Thanks for the reply man. As the only guy to help out I really appreciate it :).

I tried your method with the wrench, dad held the wrench while I tried to unscrew, then the bloody wrench slipped and the ****ing wrenches teeth dug nicely into the oil filter housing leaving a nice deep gash on it. That is when I thought **** this and left it alone before I do any more damage.

I even left the housing in the deep freezer for 30 minutes(:lol:) but that did not work either.

I just changed the big o-ring. As long as nothing will go wrong if it does not come off..

What sucks though is that I paid $40 for the oil filter housing removal tool when I did not even need it <_<

Next time I HAVE to go to the mechanic to get it log book serviced I'll make sure to tell them to get it unstuck, so it's their problem now.

Onto the oil change its self. Poured my 6.1 litres of HPR5 and headed off for the night to a friends. Came back home and the oil on the dip stick is so clean it's almost like water!

I can confirm it was NOT like this when I brought the car back from Toyota for my 60K service because when I checked it when I got the car back home the oil was still a bit black. So I bet the A-holes did not even change my oil or they use some ****ty oil OR they did not let it drain long enough. I left mine to drain for one hour and it was still dropping oil very little bit(Oil cap off on top of engine and filter off).

All in all VERY happy I changed my oil. It was almost black as the night. Car runs so quiet now.

• 3 weeks later...

Thought I would post this here because you may find this of use. This is the second time I have had to do this after a Toyota service. Damn mechanics thinking you need to do the cap up with Hulk force. Use foot to hold the socket drive steady and use two hands (depending on how tight it is) to pull upwards on the oil filter wrench (can be had for like $5-10 at a cheap auto store).

di-312884215667.jpg

Ooops. I revealed my oil filter removal tool :lol: Doesn't mean I recommend using it to remove the oil filter. There is a technique you need to use to make sure it doesn't mark or scratch your oil filter cap.

"Probably late but a it's easiest done with a pipe wrench or something of equivalence to grip the outer section (not the part where the removal tool fits on but the part above it) then you get your 1/4 inch drive and remove the smaller cap."

don't want to sound like a d!ck but its 3/8 drive.

When i am in same position i usually hold lightly in vice then use 3/8 drive to remove.

If you cant remove the drain plug for oil filter, don't worry too much. if still sealing don't fuss

Edited by blakezr6

have you guys heard of a vice you know the 1 you mount on a bench then you only need 1 set of hands and if it still wont budge use a rattle gun it'll come loose

"Probably late but a it's easiest done with a pipe wrench or something of equivalence to grip the outer section (not the part where the removal tool fits on but the part above it) then you get your 1/4 inch drive and remove the smaller cap."

When i am in same position i usually hold lightly in vice then use 3/8 drive to remove.

If you cant remove the drain plug for oil filter, don't worry too much. if still sealing don't fuss

Fixed to make you happy. Damn imperial.

have you guys heard of a vice you know the 1 you mount on a bench then you only need 1 set of hands and if it still wont budge use a rattle gun it'll come loose

Yes, I have heard of such contraption. If you could find one in my garage though, I'd give you $50. Some people have a limited range of tools you know.

Fixed to make you happy. Damn imperial.

Yes, I have heard of such contraption. If you could find one in my garage though, I'd give you $50. Some people have a limited range of tools you know.

save the 50 and go buy yourself 1 im sure bunnings can supply you 1 for and 50-100 quality pending

save the 50 and go buy yourself 1 im sure bunnings can supply you 1 for and 50-100 quality pending

I would... but then I lack the bench to put it on. Any bench in the house is not suitable for a vice. Plus the garage wasn't really designed to accommodate much more than the two cars.

I make do with what I've got. I've gotten this far without certain tools and equipment. Maybe when I save up some decent cash I will invest on a better garage layout.