Getting a caution for speeding rather than a fine?

EK1

I heard on the news that police have a discretion to withdraw a speeding fine if you seek a review and on the condition you have a 10 year clean driving record. Now i wondering if anyone knows the exact steps one must take to get caution rather than a speeding fine. thanks

Now i wondering if anyone knows the exact steps one must take to get caution rather than a speeding fine. thanks

If you look anything like the girl in my avatar, that should do the trick imo ;)

lol on a serious note "at the Police officer's discretion" is entirely up to the officer who pulls you over at the time, if they're favourable to your cooperation and like you they may let you off, or if you're unlucky you may get an @sshole copper who'll just try and lump as much crap onto you as they can, nothing you can do.

I'm pretty sure once a fine has been issued, they will only take it back if you can prove that it was given under false circumstances, otherwise they cannot withdraw it, however you can write to the RTA (NSW) and if you have a good driving record, they may waive/reduce any suspension periods but this is only after you pay the fine. If you contest the fine altogether, that's a different story.

Edited by Morequick

Any fine you ever receive is welcomed to be challenged. The details are on the back of the fine to have the matter heard in court etc. You start by writing a letter and go from there.

You would want to have a good reason of course, or simply be wanting to point out said 10 year good driving history etc. and that your infringement was very out of character and will not happen again etc.

In NSW, you always have the opportunity to make representations to the Police Infringement Bureau (PIB)at Parramatta (see infringement notice) for any traffic offence excluding alcohol, drug or immediate suspension or disqualification. If the offence was caught using radar and or camera, you have the right to obtain that information. Review the information and if you feel you have been incorrectly booked, then write to the Infringement Bureau. Normally the time period to pay the fine is stopped pending your representations.

If lucky enough to have the offence withdrawn or be issued a caution, good on you. If not, the time period to pay the fine normally begins from the date of the PIB decision. Of course, you still can challenge the offence in Court.

Unlikely if you are way off the limit. I reckon a bit over the limit wouldn't get you a speeding fine, only warnings if you're caught by police..

That 10 years rule, you could write up and point out. But even that would also depend on how much you're way off the speed limit.

What I'm curious about, is if you were caught the 2nd time not long after ur 1st fine after 10 years, can you still use the 10 years rule? Or do you have to wait for another 10 years? If so, that's retarded.. :lol: