whats cheaper when filling petrol up

EK1

hey,

just wondering which out of the two is cheaper? filing when your tank is half fuel on the cheapest day of the week and carry the full load of petrol or filling on an expensive day but when your tank is almost empty . thanks

hey,

just wondering which out of the two is cheaper? filing when your tank is half fuel on the cheapest day of the week and carry the full load of petrol or filling on an expensive day but when your tank is almost empty . thanks

Obviously the half tank will be cheaper because it's less litres required and the fuel is also cheaper. You pretty much answered your question in your question. The difference can be 15c from the cheapest to the most expensive petrol cost.

I refuel weekly on the cheapest day regardless of how much fuel i have left because my travel is random and some weeks i can drive an entire tank.

Edited by A Buff Hamster

just remember , 4 cents off only saves $1.xx on a 30-50 litre fill up , so when you say cheaper if its 4 cents diff only i wont be too fussed.

If we are talking about 10 cents odd then i would fill up on cheaper days...

I refuse to get a full tank when the prices are at peak , i rather drive around slower till the prices come down.. so i vote to filling on cheaper days a better option as opposed to driving with half tank fuel ..

hey,

Obviously the half tank will be cheaper because it's less litres required and the fuel is also cheaper. You pretty much answered your question in your question. The difference can be 15c from the cheapest to the most expensive petrol cost.

I refuel weekly on the cheapest day regardless of how much fuel i have left because my travel is random and some weeks i can drive an entire tank.

what i meant to ask was which option is the most cost effective.

Edited by EK1

hey,

what i meant to ask was which option is the most cost effective.

My previous post still applies. The difference in cost of cheapest to most expensive for petrol is ~15c/L. Well of course refueling a half tank on the cheapest day will be more cost effective than refueling a full tank on the expensive day.

I'll use my Aurion as an example. Using V-power as fuel cost

Cost of cheapest 123.9c

Cost of most expensive 139.9c

Fuel tank size - 70L so half tank is 35L

Fuel consumption - 10.5L/100km

Travel each week - ~300km

Petrol per week use 31.5L (2 weeks is 63L to assume full tank)

Cost of refueling on cheapest day - $39.03 (x2 to assume a full tank of 63L = $78.06)

Cost of refueling on expensive day (full tank) - $88.14

Total saving = $10.08 = $5.04 per week = $262 i save per year

Please note that this figure will change depending on the following factors:

- Cost of fuel (cheapest and most expensive)

- Your car fuel ecc

- The distance you travel each week

- The size of your tank

Edited by A Buff Hamster

hey,

Driving around with the weight of half a tank of fuel (35L) doesn't really affect fuel consumption noticeably.

Based on these calculations:

Density = Mass/Volume

where the density of petrol is given to be 737.22 kg/m^3

where 1m^3 = 1000L

therefore 1L = 1/1000 m^3

737.22(kg/m^3)= Mass(kg)/Volume(m^3)

737.22(kg/m^3) * Volume(m^3)= Mass(kg)

737.22 * (1/1000 m^3)= Mass(kg)

therefore 0.737kg = Mass

hence 1L of petrol = 0.737kg

35L of petrol = 25.795kg

That 35L is easily offset by any passenger over the age of 6 yrs old.

Long story short, fill up on cheapest day regardless of how full your petrol tank is =P