HELP! auto wiper issue

blue_bug

Hi Guys,

Having just upgraded from a 2002 Corolla Levin to a 2007 Aurion Presara, I'm really enjoying the power and all the toys.

However, there are few small issues, chief amounts which a malfunctioning automatic wiper. It's stuck in the intermittent mode, and won't stop itself. The user manual mention this is the fall back mode when there is problem with the rain drop detection system.

While not a big issue, I would like to know if the cause could be something simple and I can fix it myself.

Cheers,

Have you tried to get a good glass cleaner and clean the windscreen around the sensor (and the rest of the windscreen while you are at it anyways) to see if the problem then persists? That would be the first step I would be doing.

Unless if comes on when you start the car again with the auto-wiper setting set to off... then there is something else playing up.

The wind screen is clean, and I had made sure the area where the detector is hasn't got a single mark on it.

During the recent Melbourne rain, I would switch the wiper to auto, and it would work as it should, but would never stop even when the wind screen is bone dry and not a single drop of rain can be seen anywhere on the wind screen.

By chance, does it have anything to do with magnifying tape? I also had a problem with the auto wiper some time back but it was the opposite, the thing whould not turn on at all.

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=27441&st=0&p=391012entry391012

Also is the windscreen a geniune Toyota windscreen with that top area cleared for an auto sensor? Hope this helps.

Why do you have a bad feeling? Is the auto dimmer on the rear view mirror and auto sensor not connected properly or has your windscreen been replaced in the past?

I've uploaded a couple of pics of my car, one from outside and one from inside.

The outside pic - On a geniune Presara windscreen, the rain sensor area is completely clear i.e. no black dots you can see surrounding it.

The inside pic - The rain sensor is on the left which can easily be unclipped from the bottom.

The windscreen on my car must have been replaced in the past but they forgot to transfer that rubber piece which was why it didn't work initially.

post-18868-034733900 1288865246_thumb.jp

post-18868-074028800 1288865259_thumb.jp

Edited by Kombi17

I got my Presara second hand, and it looks like the wind screen had been replaced before. So now, it doesn't have the sensor or the correct wind screen.

Not happy.

Hm

I have had 4 replacement windscreens, on all occasions but one the wipers continued to operate as per.

Windscreens O'Brien did the replacements.

On the first occasion they lost a little bit that goes in the sensor housing.

When I took it back they replaced it with a new one and all was OK.