Tow bar wiring harness

sbv16

Hey

I need a towbar for my 07 Aurion sportivo. The prices are ridiculous!!!! Toyota want $600 odd just for the bar not including fitting and other aftermarket tow bar companies want over $800 fitted.

I fitted the towbar on my old BA falcon previously and was thinking of doing the same again with my Aurion. I have managed to find a towbar at a wreckers for $160 but they say they will cut the harness because it takes too long to take it out.......

Is it true the harness is wired straight to the ECU and that there is no plug or harness connection in the boot???? How hard is it to install this towbar ie cutting out the hole in the rear bumper with no template?

Cheers

Hey

I need a towbar for my 07 Aurion sportivo. The prices are ridiculous!!!! Toyota want $600 odd just for the bar not including fitting and other aftermarket tow bar companies want over $800 fitted.

I fitted the towbar on my old BA falcon previously and was thinking of doing the same again with my Aurion. I have managed to find a towbar at a wreckers for $160 but they say they will cut the harness because it takes too long to take it out.......

Is it true the harness is wired straight to the ECU and that there is no plug or harness connection in the boot???? How hard is it to install this towbar ie cutting out the hole in the rear bumper with no template?

Cheers

Yikes... talk about highway robbery!

I guess It's what I've always suspected..... the profits are in selling aftermarket equipment.....

that's actually pretty cheap for a towbar package, usually around 1k mark for a Hilux etc.

Aurion is a bitch of a car you actually need to take the whole rear section of the car to bolt it up, usually the time consuming part but just mounting thebar isnt much fun in this case either.

the harness system very much intergrates into the rest of the Aurion loom. as for cutting the bumper with no template? that's a no go i strongly would discourage you from doing this.

Really id suggest if your going to be towign then to do it right get the genuine bar and fit is up right :)

Cheers for the replies!

I did some research and found out that on Aurions built prior to Aprol 07 there was no harness or wiring provided in the boot for towbar connectivity. On these vehicles you need to run wires to the ECU. On models built after April 07 there has been a towbar wiring harness provided on the LHS in the boot. This negates the need to run wires to the front of the car.

My car is built post April of 07 and has the wiring harness in the boot.

Also I went to the wrecker today to have a look at the towbar and managed to get them to agree to give me the harness as well as all other required parts of the towbar.

I cant justify $700 for a towbar, it is just stupidly overpriced. There is no way in hell Toyota or any other aftermarket towbar supplier purchase these for anywhere near this price. It is borderline robbery. There is no reason a towbar for an Aurion should cost 3 times as much as a Falcon or Commodore, especially for Aurions post April 07 when there is no extra wiring work to be done.

I did see the ebay link, however it does not provide a wiring harness, as such I may as well take the bar off this wreck. I think I may be able to source the template to cut the bumper from toyota, or even use the old rubber hole surround off the wrecked car as my template. This is assuming however that toyota did not proivde any marking on the inside of the bumper to indicate where to cut for the towbar.

Also I have seen other Aurions driving around with the standard aftermarket hayman reese towbar plugs / wiring harnesses. This would indicate that on post 07 Aurion models a regular wiring harness can be used in place of toyota's stupidly priced $200 ugly stock harness.

I have access to a hoist, rattle gun etc so taking the rear of the car off is no prob. The part that worries me is the cutting of the bumper.....

Edited by sbv16

Ok I ended up getting the towbar from the wrecker. They were nice enough to give me the wiring harness/control box, bolts, rubber surround for hole in bumper etc.

The harness comes with a control box and wires that run directly to the fuse box..... Apparently there is a built in system on the aurion which detects whether you have a blown globe and this is to wire the towbar harness into that system. Apparently this is not necessary though if you dont want it.

Im not sure if the car was post april of 07 where the wiring for towbar was integrated into the aurion.....

Has anyone fitted one of these or knows anything bout what the deal with these control units are??? I dont think you can tap straight into the wires on the harness due to the fact it runs from the tail lights and the tail lights on the aurion are led, as such they cant handle the current being taken from them by trailer lights.

I've also been looking for a towbar off a wreck after a dealer quoted $925 fitted.

No luck yet.

Is it possible for you to measure up the hole location from another car? or ask one of the guys on here to measure for you. Am I correct in saying it's only a square hole for the tongue to pass through?

On an AT-X with aftermarket bar only a small notch (2cm high) has to be taken out of the bottom of the bumper, but on the SX6s it's right in the middle and looks atrocious. I'd love to be able to modify the tow bar so it comes up from under the bumper with no cutting.

Let us know how hard it was/is to fit.

• 7 years later...

Gentlemen,

I recently got second hand Toyota tow bar for aurion,

everything is there, except for the connector that plugs into the car((someone chopped the wires off. 

IMG_0436.thumb.jpg.7ceed92573591ffc1d3111cfeb5cd3fd.jpg

in the boot I found a plug which I assume is for trailer harness.

IMG_0433.thumb.jpg.e8d734760ea52fcdcf19d4bbac9c2ea6.jpg

the connector on the car has 10+ wires and most of them are brown and they don't not correspond to the ones on the harness.

does anyone know which wire goes where?

thanks 

Edited by Ven.D

Attached my internet based search documents from when I was looking at getting a towbar for my 2006 Aurion ATX. Ended up getting another Aurion with a towbar already fitted so no direct personal experience of doing these fitting instructions.

Towbar Wiring Instructions PZQ61-33132-42-52_-_PZQ61-33131-41-51FI_-_Camry-Aurion_TWH_-_Issue_4_-_A5_booklet_111597_993.pdf

Aurion_Towbar_Fitting_Instructions.pdf.PdfCompressor-894150.pdf

Aurion TOWBAR.doc