1981 Toyota Cressida fuel injector = leaking!

Odin

Hi everyone!

My name is Kelly, and I have a sick car :(

This is Albert, my beloved little old car -

albertq.jpg

He's a 1981 Cressida.

I hope this is the right place to be posting this question...

Unfortunately for me (and Albert) he has a bad leak. My step dad took a look at him and says it's his fuel injector. Our mechanic is all booked up for a LONG time, but obviously having no car is an inconvenience so we're going to have to repair him on our own. The only thing is John (step dad) isn't sure how to remove the fuel injector and we're hoping someone here will be able to help :D

As is, he can turn over but idling he stalls. He runs on both petrol and LPG, not sure if that information is important but I'm adding it in anyway! And if you need further information such as exact model number I can grab that too but I'm pretty sure everything on him is stock, he doesn't have any upgrades apart from the LPG tank that I know of.

Thanks for your time and in advance for any helpful information!

I took a few pictures of the leaking "thing", so I hope this makes it more clear what the problem is to anyone who can help.

There is also a picture of his model number plate.

This is apparently fuel injector 5... I know next to nothing about cars but it's like a little hose leading into the engine and there is a 5 drawn on it (but you can't see that in these photos).

Do you just yank this thing out and jam in a new one?

injector5.jpg

injector52.jpg

modelno.jpg

As yes, the 5M motor

Best bet would be the guys on toymods.org.au

if you check it on petrol do you smell it when on idle?

one of my injector seals cracked and the petrol smell is very strong, even in the cabin.

As yes, the 5M motor

Best bet would be the guys on toymods.org.au

if you check it on petrol do you smell it when on idle?

one of my injector seals cracked and the petrol smell is very strong, even in the cabin.

Yep, strong petrol smell in the cab when I'd start the car! Driving along kind of blew the smell away though. That was the very first indicator that something was wrong... but it was a few weeks before he started losing power and stalling. It's definitely that one injector/pipe in the picture because it's all wet with petrol around it. Thanks for the tip on the forum, I'll repost there too if all else fails :D

IMO just unbolt the fuel rail, pull it + all the injectors out, get a seal kit and re-assemble it... it should be a cheap and easy thing to do.

Thank you Mick! I'll tell my step dad what you said and we'll try it out :D I'll let you know how it goes.

Well the problem seems to be fixed now! The replacement parts were only 35 cents each, so it was much cheaper than expected :D probably a good thing in a way that the mechanic was all booked up because it saved a lot of money :)