im thinking about getting a CAI, but the question is which one? i've done some searches on the forum, but no real clear answer exists, so i figured i'd just ask. So can anyone tell me which one is better in terms of cost, performance, installation, and looks.

AEM claims to outperform TRD from what i've read, seems to be a bit more expensive, and comes in a few different colours. Not too sure about installation, can anyone give me a clear answer?

thanks

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm installing the AEM this week so I'll let you know when it is in place. The kit comes with all components needed (including the little vacuum cap) and a set of comprehensive instructions but they are designed for the Matrix (US) so I'll let you know about the ultimate fit :)

Many people have the TRD one and I didn't want to spent quite as much so went for the AEM one which is $50-150 cheaper

TRD produces higher horsepower while AEM produces higher tourqe. Put it that way. Or maybe you should try Injen? I won't tell you which one to buy, because I do think if you go and buy branded intakes, the result will be similar if not the same.

here you go this is stock, TRD CAi with TRD Filter and the TRD CAI with the K&N Filter on the same dyno

TRD is better :P it sounds awesme! Performance wise gotta wait for Dylan to put his AEM on before we will have a showdown to see which is better!

I might be changing te TRD filter to K&N soon. Is the filter the bigger the better?

I have 2 K&N filters to pick from can someone tell me which is better?

Sorry to be usin this post for filter comparison too :unsure:

This one is 1 inch shorter and has a funnel and is tapered in design. Uses 20ml of K&N oil.

post-135-1121063754_thumb.jpg

This one uses 34ml of K&N oil so has a bigger filtering area but is straight.

post-135-1121063794_thumb.jpg

Edited by ZEEROLLA

I had the smaller one in the previous rolla, it really doesent make a difference, the TRD filter was much louder. I might get an Injen cai, dont know if anyone here has it, but most of the guys in the states seem to go for the injen. Its cheaper than TRD by a little.

I had the smaller one in the previous rolla, it really doesent make a difference, the TRD filter was much louder. I might get an Injen cai, dont know if anyone here has it, but most of the guys in the states seem to go for the injen. Its cheaper than TRD by a little.

I don't have a problem with the TRD pod to be honest just that i have the second one as a spare after my TRD filter gets filthy (not gonna bother cleaning it) but just realised i could swap the 2nd one for the 1st that's why i asked if the 1st one is better than the 2nd since they have different designs. I always thought that a bigger filter is always better than a smaller one since it can filter more air and the volume is greater. I could be wrong though.. :unsure:

Fitted the silver AEM pipe tonight and all I can say is that the fit is PERFECT!!! The filter is almost identical to the bottom one Zee has posted (Stock AEM one though) and is just a little large for the light. I had to remove the light to install but put it back in and the filter has moved a little but still secure with no leaks aparent.

The sound above 6000RPM is awesome just like the TRD one.

I'll post some pics tomorrow night when I've had a chance to take a few more in the day light.

If someone would like to provide me with a K&N pod I'm hoping to do a few comparisons of filter on the Dyno. AEM, K&N, ITG, APEXi if someone has one spare, pependant on what prices I can get to do the tests :P

I'll look for a Dyno place that is happy to have me there for the day at 1 hour intervals, to change pods, re-calibrate the ECU for each one and then run.

Edited by Blue_Stivo

I don't have a problem with the TRD pod to be honest just that i have the second one as a spare after my TRD filter gets filthy (not gonna bother cleaning it) but just realised i could swap the 2nd one for the 1st that's why i asked if the 1st one is better than the 2nd since they have different designs.  I always thought that a bigger filter is always better than a smaller one since it can filter more air and the volume is greater.  I could be wrong though.. :unsure:

Zee I think the smaller one is better as it has a larger surface area because of the funnel. Larger the surface area of the filter element the greater the suction, and we all know it's all about the suction ;)

I don't have a problem with the TRD pod to be honest just that i have the second one as a spare after my TRD filter gets filthy (not gonna bother cleaning it) but just realised i could swap the 2nd one for the 1st that's why i asked if the 1st one is better than the 2nd since they have different designs.  I always thought that a bigger filter is always better than a smaller one since it can filter more air and the volume is greater.  I could be wrong though.. :unsure:

Zee I think the smaller one is better as it has a larger surface area because of the funnel. Larger the surface area of the filter element the greater the suction, and we all know it's all about the suction ;)

Cool Dylan, we got to meet up to do some comparisons soon :lol: to see which is louder! :P

I also think in regards to my K&N question the 2nd one (the straight one without funnel) has more filtering surface as it uses 34ml of K&N oil when you re-oil while the first one uses only 20ml that's why i have the question "surface area vs tapered/funnel design". Dimensions wise the 1st one with the funnel is 1 inch shorter in height overall, top diameter is the same but base diameter the shorter one is slightly bigger. Othe than that i think the one with the funnel is more expensive bcuz of the bling bling polished top and funnel :unsure:

get the ITG filter .... u wont regret it .....but its obviously a few more $$$$$

i know Bill but i've already got a K&N pod for cheap cheap so might use it first unless i can sell it ;)

you could always let me borrow it for the test Dyno too :)

get the ITG filter .... u wont regret it .....but its obviously a few more $$$$$

i know Bill but i've already got a K&N pod for cheap cheap so might use it first unless i can sell it ;)

you could always let me borrow it for the test Dyno too :)

Sure Dylan provided i haven't put it on before your dyno day :P

Do you know the dimensions of your AEM filter? I just did some more research and it is true about air filters being "the bigger the better" and finding the max size pod that will fit the car is the best way to go.

Edited by ZEEROLLA

Sorry Dylan ur just gonna have to pull out the red spray can and give i a coat or 2 :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

Seriously though not bad..... Be interested to see what ur dyno figures are now?

Sorry Dylan ur just gonna have to pull out the red spray can and give i a coat or 2  :P  :P  :P  :P  :P  :P  :P  :P  :P  :P  :P

Seriously though not bad..... Be interested to see what ur dyno figures are now?

don't forget the little TRD sticker too :lol: :P

but the AEM CAI looks good Dylan, and is the AFM at the bottom of the pipe instead of the top like the TRD?

Edited by ZEEROLLA