The AFM is on the back of the pipe basically directly opposite the positive terminal of the battery in the picture.

You can also see the Blue clip from the VSV controller just behind it there also.

There is a bracket that came with the kit to position the VSV on but the bracket to locate it on is connected to the 'lower VSV' which is only on the Matrix and not on our cars, so at the moment it is just hanging there until I can fabricate something.

Sorry Bill, it's staying chrome, just the way I like it... :P it looks nice and clean in chrome I feel.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blue_Stivo,

Just wondering if you can answer some questions seeing as though you've recently purchased an installed:

Where did you get the AEM CAI?

How much was it ($AUD)?

Have you noticed much of a performance gain or mainly just increased induction noise?

Does it fit perfectly without the need to cut brackets etc?

I was going to get a TRD but I have read in previous posts that some brackets need to be cut. I want to avoid that if possible.

Thanks in advance.

My kit was bought 2nd hand (unused) from Doctony (another member) as he is going overseas. But he bought it from this E-Bay shop for ~$400 AUD shipped to your door.

I tryed to get in touch with Online Performance as an Australian seller of the system but they never replied to my e-mails in time. From hearing comments from othe members though the E-Bay seller is the best way to go, they have an Aust rep that you can send the money to to make things easier. All you have to do is specify the colour you want (Blue, Red, Chrome or Clear coated).

As mentioned above the CAI is a perfect fit, abolutely no cutting of anything at all.

EDIT: fixed the links... :D

Edited by Blue_Stivo

delivery is US$100 + US$180 for the CAI + US$5 for insurance = US$285 (all this info is provided on the link I've given).

Using the current exchange rate of AUD$0.77 to US$1.00 this is AUD$370.13. I said ~AUD$400??? :huh::huh::blink::rolleyes:

This of course is if you purchase through the E-Bay seller... By all means if you find a better deal, go for it!!!! :D

Edited by Blue_Stivo

Blue_Stivo,

Just wondering if you can answer some questions seeing as though you've recently purchased an installed:

Where did you get the AEM CAI?

How much was it ($AUD)?

Have you noticed much of a performance gain or mainly just increased induction noise?

Does it fit perfectly without the need to cut brackets etc?

I was going to get a TRD but I have read in previous posts that some brackets need to be cut. I want to avoid that if possible.

Thanks in advance.

The TRD CAI only needs 1 bracket cut and its as stragiht forward as it can get. And if you can find someone as nice as Dave (Screaminrolla) to do the cutting and installation that's even better! :D (Thanks Dave! :lol: ) But seriously its not that difficult.

btw i have swapped the 2nd K&N filter for the 1st which is tapered and has a built in funnel. After i looked up close at both i felt the one with the funnel might still work good although it seems rather small (nearly half the height of TRD pod), but some guy assured me they use them on V8s so no worries about the pod being too small. Its actually about the same size as the XStream top 3900 pod.

ITG filter Craig and Dave has seem about similar size to TRD hence the same loud sound while K&N will be quiter as its smaller.

Edited by ZEEROLLA

Thanks for your feedback guys,

Just to inform:

I am not worried about my competence in cutting a bracket, I just dont want to go cutting a brand new car up. This is why I am after a bolt-on, bolt-off solution. This is why I will be going for the AEM CAI!

Thank you both Blue_Rolla and Zeerolla for your input, the more the merrier.

Thanks for your feedback guys,

Just to inform:

I am not worried about my competence in cutting a bracket, I just dont want to go cutting a brand new car up. This is why I am after a bolt-on, bolt-off solution. This is why I will be going for the AEM CAI!

Thank you both Blue_Rolla and Zeerolla for your input, the more the merrier.

You won't have to cut your car, you just have to cut the bracket that came in the TRD CAI kit.

The hardest part of installing the AEM unit was to get the rubber hose on the throttle body. You have to stretch the hose a little before putting it on, have to play with it a bit, like a tight pussy :D. The TRD unit on the other hand fits easier, but both easy. Cant wait for the injen, its a two piece. If the dude on ebay is still stuffing me around i'll go for an AEM.

The hardest part of installing the AEM unit was to get the rubber hose on the throttle body. You have to stretch the hose a little before putting it on, have to play with it a bit, like a tight pussy  :D. The TRD unit on the other hand fits easier, but both easy. Cant wait for the injen, its a two piece. If the dude on ebay is still stuffing me around i'll go for an AEM.

Well you would know cos you helped me install mine remember? That's Paul giving me a hand as well while Lucian was stripping the wheel guard.

All this on busy Swanston Street. :P

post-117-1121168769_thumb.jpg

E-Gene - I've noticed mine is a slightly different design to yours and Danz?? There is a less dramatic elbow on it. The silicon join also fitted over the throttle body with no problems at all. I think there may have been a minor re-design cos mine fit beautifully.

and what is the bracket made of? hard plastic? metal? and did you guys use to cut it?

It is made out of metal, I cut mine using a grinder, was not that hard~

haha, no cutting of car like what Daniel said, just the bracket that comes with it as the kit was made for the Matrix in the US. Dave used a hacksaw and some muscles, cut it in 5 minutes. :D

Z

The hardest part of installing the AEM unit was to get the rubber hose on the throttle body. You have to stretch the hose a little before putting it on, have to play with it a bit, like a tight pussy  :D. The TRD unit on the other hand fits easier, but both easy. Cant wait for the injen, its a two piece. If the dude on ebay is still stuffing me around i'll go for an AEM.

The injen is a cool kit, can be used as a short ram intake or full CAI. Good to compare between the 2.

One thing I do not like about the AEM is the sensor gotta be stretch to the max, it worries me that one day it will snap. Other than that, I have no problems at all and looks like the cables are still there. Perhaps that is why the newer AEM has its elbow redesigned?

Well you would know cos you helped me install mine remember? That's Paul giving me a hand as well while Lucian was stripping the wheel guard.

All this on busy Swanston Street. :P

HAHAHAHA Funny pic that one...........i gave birth to the pipe that night :lol::lol:

One thing I do not like about the AEM is the sensor gotta be stretch to the max, it worries me that one day it will snap. Other than that, I have no problems at all and looks like the cables are still there. Perhaps that is why the newer AEM has its elbow redesigned?

Yeah the cables don't stretch that tight, was actually pretty easy to connect, just had to remove the tape that joins the VSV plug wires and the MAF plug wires...

melvin - check my garage, there is also a link to my garage pic on the previous page. Danz also has pics in his garage that are worth seeing, E-Gene has his posted in this thread!!!

Just called online performance regarding the AEM intakes.

There are 3 possibilities for suitable CAI's but neither of us are sure which one.

There is one stated for 'corolla' which he said he has sold to alot of people driving standard (1ZZE).

When it comes to 2ZZE hes not sure.

There is one for Matrix XR

and another for Matrix XRS.

Which one is most equivalent to the Australian delivered Sportivo?

Just to confuse things further there is nothing listed for 2005 models. I realise 2005's are only a facelift but are they identical under the bonnet?

XRS for 2zz-ge.

In USA the corollas no longer uses throttle body cables for its 04-05 models and it sort of requires few changes for CAI, I know the TRD CAI will not fit into the 04-05 model of USA Corolla.

You should buy the one for XRS 2003 model, since the Australian model only copped a facelift and nothing mechanical. except for the drivetrain and ecu.

Edited by Danz