also in regards to filters i think the ITG has greater airflow but not as good filtering compared to like say K&N. ITG has predominantly been tested/used on race cars like F1 that require max airflow hence the foam design (HKS foam filters also flow great amounts of air but has poor filtering capabilities), and remember F1 engines only last 1 or 2 races before rebuilding so. I think K&N has been more widely tested and used on street cars and because of their design with the oil it traps finer dirt particles and if you are after more security i would go with K&N. But at the end of day its again up to individual preference. If youthinking of getting every kw out of your car go with ITG but if you keeping your car for donkey years i don't know, maybe stick with factory airbox and paper filter :P

Edited by ZEEROLLA

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ITG can be oiled as well... the core of the filter has 2 levels of pore size, a co@rse filter on the outer (the bit you see) and a finer pore core in the middle. The filtering levels should still be OK.

Danz - I think the same the AEM look exactly the same as the larger K&N filter, most likely the same...

EDIT: geeeezzzz it wont let me write co**** because it contains ****... WTF???

Edited by Blue_Stivo

i did a brief search for the intake tubes on ebay and came up with nothing... if anyone knows the address for it, please post it up...

also

lucio - hows the INJEN CAI coming along? installed? got pics?

ITG can be oiled as well... the core of the filter has 2 levels of pore size, a co@rse filter on the outer (the bit you see) and a finer pore core in the middle. The filtering levels should still be OK.

Danz - I think the same the AEM look exactly the same as the larger K&N filter, most likely the same...

EDIT: geeeezzzz it wont let me write co**** because it contains ****... WTF???

I think the TRD pod filter is also based on K&N. I had a look at my TRD pod today and its really filthy after 20,000kms, some parts of the filter is literally black. Time for the K&N to go on soon i think.. Hopefully i don't go backwards in the power/torque department since its the K&N pod with the funnel i have now, a little smaller and clears the fog light with no issues ;)

How's te AEM pod Dylan? Does it touch the fog light forcing you to push the pod up the pipe abit more?

Edited by ZEEROLLA

Does it touch the fog light forcing you to push the pod up the pipe abit more?

The ITG does this which is why you need to by an extra pipe to sort of bend it back away from the light

Don't throw away your TRD, just grab yourself K&N cleaning kit and clean the TRD. The TRD is oil based right?

Yeh the TRD might look the same as the K&N but the material used for the pod might be different so i don't know about using a K&N cleaning kit on the TRD pod. Besides i already have a K&N pod and its smaller so it doesn't touch the fog light ;) The TRD pod will be for sale after if anyone wants it.

How's te AEM pod Dylan?  Does it touch the fog light forcing you to push the pod up the pipe abit more?

Yeah the pod over hangs the light about half way down the light, the neck of the pod is silicone rubber so it just bends back. It sits OK with the spot light out but when pushed back in the pod is pushed back a little way. I'll have a look at it tomorrow to see if the join has shifted at all because of this now I've gone on some longer drives. I also want to chesk that air isn't getting in or out anywhere else because it doesn't make the big *SIGH* when you turn the car off now :blink::huh::huh:. I'll check it out...

I have cleaned a TRD pod with K&N cleaning kit and reoiled it with K&N oil and it came up like new. As for Injen i will let you know Melvinlau once i get it. Youre in the Western Suburbs (VIC) rite??? i'll let you know when i install it and youre welcome to come along and see, and lend some help if you want :).

I've never done this before that's why I'm asking, but how do you clean the POD filter? I've had mine for over 10000, so I think it's about time to clean it as well.

hey Egene,

the K&n cleaning/recharge Kit is on sale at Autobarn for $24 i think or 6 or more for $15 each. so a group buy might help on this one.

or you can always borrow mine if you want. i have only used mine once and have plenty of cleaning agent and oil left.

cheers

hey Egene,

the K&n cleaning/recharge Kit is on sale at Autobarn for $24 i think or 6 or more for $15 each. so a group buy might help on this one.

or you can always borrow mine if you want. i have only used mine once and have plenty of cleaning agent and oil left.

cheers

Thanks for always being so ready to help dude. Will take you up on your offer some time soon.

I have cleaned a TRD pod with K&N cleaning kit and reoiled it with K&N oil and it came up like new. As for Injen i will let you know Melvinlau once i get it. Youre in the Western Suburbs (VIC) rite??? i'll let you know when i install it and youre welcome to come along and see, and lend some help if you want :).

I want to see and get a ride..haha. Let me know if you need a hand :)

Edited by BenT

You can have mine also buddy  :)  i'l have a latte with 2 sugars thanx  :P

So when are you going to drop by and have that latte? No one visits me here anymore other than the faithful Bill and the occasional Marcus.

Back to the topic, so do I wash the filter with water and than dry it and oil it?

Egene, you must use some type of cleaner even detergent, so that it washes the dirt and grease off your filter. Then let it dry naturally. PFFFFFFFf thats gona take forever, so i preheated the oven to about 120 degrees, and let the filter "roast" for a while. Then i used the hair dryer from far away and it dried in a couple of hours. Then i reapplied oil. It was like new, except i oiled it too much so it sucked up a bit up and gave a hell of a stench in the garage that lasted a few days but it was fine.

Then let it dry naturally. PFFFFFFFf  thats gona take forever, so i preheated the oven to about 120 degrees, and let the filter "roast" for a while. Then i used the hair dryer from far away and it dried in a couple of hours. Then i reapplied oil. It was like new, except i oiled it too much so it sucked up a bit up and gave a hell of a stench in the garage that lasted a few days but it was fine.

i think that's a melb problem :P

when me and pippy did it, we just left it in the sun for an hour or so :lol:

Forget cleaning it during winter man, I tried and I don't like to do it again

never clean it in winter again why is that i figure it would take longer to dry but if thats not your reason then wouldnt it be better to have it clean in winter due the the fact the air is colder there for more response and power so you want les restriction to get asmuch as this cold air in as possible

:D